English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 14 April 2004, 13:52   #1
teh
aka Superfrog

Old ClassicWB P96 comments & return of Burseg!

Sounds great Bloodwych!

If you wanted to add an extra thing to classic workbench. I though maybe a Bootlogo (Ill plonk a screendump later).

teh
Old 14 April 2004, 14:27   #2
Bloodwych

The download is up, details added to the opening post. Not sure what my download limit is, but I'm positive not enough of you will be rushing to grab it so I can't foresee any problems. Please offer any comments/suggestions if you have time.

Thanks teh.

As for a boot logo, I thought about that after seeing Paul’s great WB 2.0 setup ages ago which had a joke windows 3.1 logo.

Thing is, boot logos are more of a windows thing and this is meant to be a ClassicWB so I've never been keen on adding one. I'd be tempted to add my avatar to it as well , plus it increases boot time slightly. If someone comes up with a nice design I might ad one in the future.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 04 May 2004 at 00:21.
Old 14 April 2004, 19:16   #3
teh
aka Superfrog

hows this? I use this on my a1200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bootlogo.gif
Views:	492
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	6668  
Old 14 April 2004, 19:33   #4
Bloodwych

Hmmm, yes I like that teh - not too overpowering or pretentious.

What I'll probably do then is offer it as an option during the install procedure during the next update cycle.
Old 14 April 2004, 19:45   #5
teh
aka Superfrog

lol

The picture does strech though, but im working on that
Old 19 April 2004, 14:30   #6
MethodGit

Just thought I'd ask..... wonder why you are directed to Cloanto's products page when you want to purchase a valid WB 3.0 disk? It's not like you can get it seperately off them, or in a physical form for that matter.
Old 19 April 2004, 18:33   #7
Bloodwych

Well methodgit, a few reasons:

One, they are the official copyright holders last time I checked and if anyone associated with them visits the ClassicWB web page or thread they can see I’m making an effort to support and recognise those rights.

Secondly, if I don’t place the link then people ask where they can get a workbench disk from. With the link in place, they should be able to see I’m not supporting piracy or willing to provide a workbench disk.

Since the Classic WB is primarily for people with real Amigas, as far as I'm concerned they should already own a legal copy of WB 3. If they don’t and therefore can’t use the Classic WB, then they’ll have to either buy Amiga Forever or visit e-bay. Link is there for that reason also.
Old 19 April 2004, 21:18   #8
MethodGit

I see. It's just that I was wondering if anyone would assume you can buy actual original Workbench floppy disks off Cloanto, and then they realise they're in virtual form and part of a mega-package (which I finally bought meself, go me!).
Old 19 April 2004, 22:13   #9
Bloodwych

I see your point, I should make it clearer. I'll add detail in the next release readme files - you've done the job for me in this thread.
Old 24 April 2004, 19:26   #10
Bloodwych

Updated the install package to V2

Changes are minor:
  • Replaced NewZap with FileX (thanks Severin)
  • Added XADmaster key for the new freeware v12.1a - NO MORE SHAREWARE POPUP when virus checking! (thanks enverex)
  • Fully installed XPK libs and added 2 new utilities that use this library
  • Added XFH as an optional real time compressed volume utility
  • Added SnoopDOS
  • Updated Readme files.
  • Cleaned up and optimised install

That's about it. PM me for the link.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 April 2004 at 23:53.
Old 25 April 2004, 01:02   #11
blakstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
I see. It's just that I was wondering if anyone would assume you can buy actual original Workbench floppy disks off Cloanto, and then they realise they're in virtual form and part of a mega-package (which I finally bought meself, go me!).
With regard to the original Workbench disks, you might want to check out Cloanto's Amiga Forever site.

Here's the quote from the site:

"In agreement with Amiga Inc. we plan to soon start offering Amiga OS media to support old Amiga computers with lost or damaged system disks.

This will include:

Amiga 1000 Kickstart 1.3 disk
Amiga OS floppy disk sets (v. 1.3 to v. 3.1)
Dedicated driver/software disks
It will be required to provide the serial number of the computer. The disks will be physical Amiga floppy disks (no disk downloadable images).

If you are interested in this service please monitor this page for changes. Thank you for your patience."

The page itself is found at http://www.amigaforever.com/osmedia

Old 25 April 2004, 01:28   #12
Bloodwych

Thanks for the info blakstar. It's about time people could get hold of replacement disks.
Old 02 June 2004, 15:10   #13
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Well, original Workbench 3.1 disks are sold (among other nice amiga gadgets) for example here: http://www.vesalia.de
Old 02 June 2004, 17:34   #14
oldpx

Well, I don't enjoy posting here, and I hope this will be the last but it must be done.

I hope that fucked up version of the my old ppc wallpaper is not included in the package. As much as I like the idea of people using something done by me, I dislike those who don't respect the rights that only belong to the original creator. If the person who decided to remove the PPC text has asked me, I would gladly send him an edited version. But no, butchering the work himself was all that he had in his barbaric mind and I wasn't around anyway. Maybe the person shouldn't bear the entire guilt. I recently noticed the wallpaper section of abime net suddenly stopped openly crediting the designer. Sure you'll see "by burseg" in the alt text, but I bet most of you didn't even know it before I said it. I must note that I think that wallpaper, even the original is pretty ugly and I wouldn't do something like that today, but still, only I have the right to fuck it up. Why? Apart from the legal rights which I don't want to bring up for a stupid wallpaper issue, I have ethics on this. No matter how ugly or useless the original is, the creator is the only one who could make a finished work better. If he couldn't, then he just COULDN'T and the case is closed. You can't make it better because it's "finished" and you didn't participate in the creation process. Do you prefer the original song or the remix? How many good songs have you listened that were screwed up in a remix? Yours will be another ugly visual in the ocean of ugly visuals called the Internet.

It is also OK to fuck anything up if you're going to use it yourself, and not spread.

Again, I'm not against including THE ORIGINAL or a modified version done by ME in the package but I'm closer to the idea of scrapping it entirely.

In conclusion,
@bloodwych
I can help you with making a better one if you'd like.

Oh and I probably wouldn't mind THAT much if that was done properly, but would it be possible that I'd agree it was done properly? I think not, I'm stubborn.

That's that.

Last edited by oldpx; 02 June 2004 at 17:41.

Old 02 June 2004, 19:23   #15
Bloodwych

Burseg, I would be honoured if you could create a better wallpaper for the package but I will remove it completely if that’s what you wish. My only excuse is I was using this purely for personal use for several months with no intention of distribution - I only decided to make this thread (and pm the link to the file) at the request of someone who wanted a P96 version. It was at this point when I simply zipped up my setup and added a workbench 3 disk install procedure.

I should have considered the responsibilities that went along with it. I didn't.

It’s entirely my fault and I apologise for editing your work without permission. I’m sure if you were still at the board I would have asked, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that the act can be rightly interpreted as being fundamentally wrong as well as bad manners. For some reason I thought mentioning you in the first post would be enough but I mindlessly underestimated how sensitive you would be. I was wrong to simply neglect the fact that using this wallpaper would cause offence; that’s the original creators decision.

Truth is due to the friendliness of the general Amiga community I think I’ve perhaps become too relaxed in my attitude towards assuming the content (original and edited) in this free package wouldn’t offend anyone. I feel like I’m doing people a service using my free time so why would anyone be unhappy? In my ignorance however I didn’t consider that certain responsibilities and ethics come with distributing anything on the net. In hindsight I can understand your point of view and it’s totally reasonable – I was wrong to assume it’s ok to take liberties with your work, no arguments.

Again, I’m sorry burseg; I can tell by your harsh words you are offended so I’ll go with whatever you decide.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 02 June 2004 at 19:36.
Old 02 June 2004, 20:02   #16
fisken uno
Zone Friend

A) I think the wallpaper is NICE

B) Yes, I already knew Burseg created it

C) Of course you should create a new one for the amazing ClassicWB, Burseg. AND you should get the credits this time

Everyone's happy
Old 02 June 2004, 20:12   #17
oldpx

@bloodwych
Ok ok, you're so nice that I'm beginning to feel bad
Of course I'll help for a better one, that one was too old anyway. No need to take action about the current one just now. I'll inform you shortly.

Old 02 June 2004, 20:21   #18
Bloodwych

Burseg, nah no reason to feel bad I wasn't offended - like I said it was my error and I appreciate why you made those points.

Thanks for being understanding and for the kind offer. I'll make sure I credit you properly this time in the readme text, as outlined in fisk point C)
Old 03 June 2004, 00:07   #19
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
I recently noticed the wallpaper section of abime net suddenly stopped openly crediting the designer.
Hey welcome back

hum, I did not change this code recently. Are you sure there was direct credits in the past ?
I don't remember, but I don't care to add them if you prefer
btw, new 1280*1024 builds would be nice (if you still have the sources)
thx!
Old 03 June 2004, 00:31   #20
oldpx

Yep, there were indeed but no big deal, ok maybe a little bit
Staying wasn't what I had in my mind but if I'm welcome then I'm sold
/me happy

Quote:
btw, new 1280*1024 builds would be nice (if you still have the sources)
There'll surely be no problem putting the ones that'll be made for bloodwych's package to be downloaded individually. And I have the "sources" you code head LOL