English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 June 2017, 02:23   #1
ransom1122

Multi-Disk games that only support 1 disk drive

Is there a way to find out which multi disk amiga games do not work with multiple disk drives and require 1 Disk drive only to work?

For example;

Shadow of the Beast II (1990)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Angels].adf
Shadow of the Beast II (1990)(Psygnosis)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr Angels].adf

Disk 2 must be swapped into DF0: after the intro.
Old 05 June 2017, 06:56   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

There was some crack of Wrath of the Demon which require disk change without requester.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:50   #3
ransom1122

IF we know which games work with multiple disk drives then we would know which games won't work with more then 1 disk drive? But not sure if it is possible to find out at all?
Old 05 June 2017, 20:50   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@ransom1122
Interesting topic for this thread and one worth finding out about IMHO. It will probably be quite tedious to compile a list of multi-disk games that do not support anything but df0: Very occasionally the manuals for games will state that additional floppy devices are not supported.

Game manuals usually don't include such info., though, and game players end up finding out the hard way though old-fashioned trial-and-error [i.e. disk prompts popping up when disk 2 etc. isn't inserted in df0:]. On top of that, like s2325 said, occasionally games (even uncracked) won't even throw up a requester for a disk to be inserted and will just sit there with a blank screen like your Amiga has frozen up.

Anyway, if enough people are interested....then such info. can be compiled like people here have done in this thread for games that utilise extra memory:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65574

Last edited by DrBong; 05 June 2017 at 21:26.
Old 05 June 2017, 21:36   #5
jbl007

Here is a list of games from openretro.org where floppy_drive_count is set to 1.
Attached Files
File Type: txt onedrivegames.txt (3.0 KB, 461 views)
Old 06 June 2017, 00:22   #6
ransom1122

I need it for pre configuring ADF Games in RetroPie on mu Raspberry Pie 3. Ive competed setting up all whdload games with it now need to add ADF Games that dont have a whdload install.

Thus requiring some list that shows which games are compatible with only one drive. This will stop me from putting disk 2 in df1: which creates another game name entry in emulation station.
Old 06 June 2017, 00:50   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I need it for pre configuring ADF Games in RetroPie on mu Raspberry Pie 3. Ive competed setting up all whdload games with it now need to add ADF Games that dont have a whdload install.
Thus requiring some list that shows which games are compatible with only one drive. This will stop me from putting disk 2 in df1: which creates another game name entry in emulation station.
I've given you my complete WinUAE setup (and provided you with updates daily / weekly for at least the past year if not longer)...

I've done all the hard work for you; which has taken me 10+ years to get perfect

...as Dr.Bong mentioned; you only get to know this by tedious work; old-fashioned trial-and-error.

You won't get a better base but there's no way in hell I'm going through all of my 1750+ configs to provide you with a list of what you require...

That's your job, especially as it's for your own personal project. I've done enough already

All the information you require is at your finger tips, you just need to sift through it instead of asking others to do it for you
Old 06 June 2017, 01:43   #8
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I've given you my complete WinUAE setup (and provided you with updates daily / weekly for at least the past year if not longer)...

I've done all the hard work for you; which has taken me 10+ years to get perfect

...as Dr.Bong mentioned; you only get to know this by tedious work; old-fashioned trial-and-error.

You won't get a better base but there's no way in hell I'm going through all of my 1750+ configs to provide you with a list of what you require...

That's your job, especially as it's for your own personal project. I've done enough already

All the information you require is at your finger tips, you just need to sift through it instead of asking others to do it for you
99% of the games ion your database are already included in my Raspberry Pie project as they all have Whdload Installs. It's the other odd multiple disc ADF games that I have my eyes on that don't have WHDLoad installs.

Anyway it seems that its practically impossible unless you go through each and every multiple disk game and try them yourself (And that is playing untill your prompted for Disk 2, which could take ages) the task is way to big for anyone to do, or way to tedious.
Old 06 June 2017, 01:58   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
99% of the games ion your database are already included in my Raspberry Pie project as they all have Whdload Installs. It's the other odd multiple disc ADF games that I have my eyes on that don't have WHDLoad installs.
...well then, not much work for you to do really considering what you've just mentioned

Quote:
Anyway it seems that its practically impossible unless you go through each and every multiple disk game and try them yourself (And that is playing untill your prompted for Disk 2, which could take ages) the task is way to big for anyone to do, or way to tedious.
What do you think I've already had to do for over more than a decade in order to get my collection working perfectly?!? Exactly this!!!

...see above again; not much really left to do on your part then is there?
Old 06 June 2017, 02:06   #10
ransom1122

Quote:
...well then, not much work for you to do really considering what you've just mentioned
3,953 ADF Games that do not have WHDLoad Install according to hol.

Quote:
What do you think I've already had to do for over more than a decade in order to get my collection working perfectly?!? Exactly this!!!

...see above again; not much really left to do on your part then is there?
Now let me see 3,953 games times let's say 10 minutes of testing (give or take) to see wether disk 2 needs to be in df0 or it can be in df1:

I don't even want to think about how many hours that would take.
Old 06 June 2017, 02:31   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Now let me see 3,953 games times let's say 10 minutes of testing (give or take) to see wether disk 2 needs to be in df0 or it can be in df1:

Yup, that's the reality... Welcome to mine and Belgarath's world (i.e. GameBase Amiga)

...and that's even before finding / testing 100% working .ADFs from the huge TOSEC collection. Let's face it; that's the really difficult part... not working out if one or more disk drives are supported (though it is important for a perfect as possible collection)...

That's why we've assisted each other for more than a decade now.
Old 06 June 2017, 20:04   #12
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
99% of the games in your database are already included in my Raspberry Pie project as they all have Whdload Installs. It's the other odd multiple disc ADF games that I have my eyes on that don't have WHDLoad installs.
Quote:
Quote:
3,953 ADF Games that do not have WHDLoad Install according to hol.

That figure is way off IMHO. By my calculations using HOL, it's more like 550-600 games that you would need to test.......which is far more manageable. Here's how I worked it out:

1) Eliminating compilations and unreleased games from the 3,953 games that don't have a WHDLoad install leaves you with 3,189 games.

2) Of these 3,189 games, there are 2,360 one-disk games that can be discarded. You are then left with 829 multi-disk games.

3) Of the remaining 829 multi-disk games, you can eliminate the 250 or so CDTV, CD32 and AmigaCD games. You are then left with under 600 multi-disk games to check. If you are only interested in commercial games, say, then eliminating PD/shareware etc. games will reduce the total even further.

If that all makes sense, how does the task of testing multi-disk games sound to you now?! Hopefully much less daunting......
Old 06 June 2017, 23:54   #13
ransom1122

Yes that sounds much less daunting. Not sure if ill have time to do it. But at least I have a lower number to test. The hard part is getting to the part of the game when it needs disk2 that could be short or long.
Old 07 June 2017, 00:00   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Yes that sounds much less daunting. Not sure if ill have time to do it. But at least I have a lower number to test. The hard part is getting to the part of the game when it needs disk2 that could be short or long.
Use warp / turbo mode in WinUAE i.e. <End> + <Pause> to speed things up.

If the game has cheats or a trainer with level skipper then use that until the next disk gets loaded from or you're asked to insert into DF0:
Old 07 June 2017, 01:23   #15
ransom1122

Quote:
Use warp / turbo mode in WinUAE i.e. <End> + <Pause> to speed things up.

If the game has cheats or a trainer with level skipper then use that until the next disk gets loaded from or you're asked to insert into DF0:
Yeah, seems to be the smartest way.

For strategy games like 1497: Five Years After (2 disks) God help me

Old 07 June 2017, 01:29   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
like 1497: Five Years After (2 disks) God help me

I'm sure I already gave you the disks / required config for this game... Just load / look in the config

...but yes, strategy games could be a pain in the butt without cheats / level codes / trainers

Also, at the end of the day it's not too much trouble if you have Disk 1 in DF0:, Disk 2 in DF1: and then get asked to put Disk 2 in DF0:. You just eject Disk 2 from DF1: and insert into DF0:

Last edited by DamienD; 07 June 2017 at 01:35.
Old 07 June 2017, 01:33   #17
ransom1122

Quote:
I'm sure I already gave you the disks / required config for this game... Just load / look in the config

...but yes, strategy games could be a pain in the button without cheats / level codes / trainers
Yeah you are right, 1497 is placed in df0 & df1.

I will continue to use your database of configs, and mess around with other games until I am prompted with "Insert Disk 2"

I guess the only other lazy way is configure games on multiple drives. Then if ever your prompted to swap disk 2 into df0 then do so. Otherwise if they swap automatically to df1 then it's all good.

Last edited by ransom1122; 07 June 2017 at 01:54.
Old 07 June 2017, 12:09   #18
ransom1122

I've started doing my own list of what games do or don't need multiple disk drives

Old 07 June 2017, 12:17   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I guess the only other lazy way is configure games on multiple drives. Then if ever your prompted to swap disk 2 into df0 then do so. Otherwise if they swap automatically to df1 then it's all good.
Yes, like I said above in post #16.

Also add the disks into the "Disk Swapper"; makes changing disks in drives very simple i.e. via keystrokes
Old 07 June 2017, 12:23   #20
liveevil
Custom User Title

Are you using Gamebase Amiga as a base set ? This seems like a serious amount of work for very little gain. You can swap disks with the diskswapper in WinUAE / FS-UAE (like Damien just said and beat me to it). Also, some 2 disk games are technically 1 disk because they can be booted from disk 2. For instance, Killing Game Show has the intro on disk 1 but you can boot straight to the game from disk 2.