English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 11 November 2010, 16:57   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

A program to convert Png to Iff. Image Studio?

Hi:
I've made a picture in CorelDraw (later in Photo Paint X3) in Png which I want to use for the startup. It seems it only can be in iff. I should need a program or way to convert it. I've heard Image Studio is a way, but although I've installed it, I don't have the key and can't find it.

Is there a way to make it and not loosing much quality?

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 November 2010 at 20:02.
Old 11 November 2010, 17:56   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=641673#post641673
Old 11 November 2010, 18:04   #3
Cammy

Here's the ImageStudio keyfile:

http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/ImageStudio.keyfile
Old 11 November 2010, 19:58   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It's great to be here in EAB, all the people wishing to help others...
Thanks to both.

I've installed the key and it worked perfect. Later I will upload a photo. At first I thought it would loose quality, as I was watching it on the program, but it's perfect.

I only had an extrange problem: I installed it and it told me something like unknow datatype... and couldn't open a png file ... but if I was opening it before I believe (I believe because I installed it in two different CF HD). In the other HD I opened it perfect and made the conversion. Later I tried to add the datatype to the CF were the program was having problems, but even with a total change of datatypes from a CF to the other it keeps telling unknown datatype. It opens .iff, but not png.

Well, extrange thing, I have to take a look carefully.

Thanks again

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 November 2010 at 00:43.
Old 11 November 2010, 20:53   #5
Frog

Image Studio doesn't recognized natively PNG file. You have to install PNG io file
Old 11 November 2010, 22:45   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Image Studio doesn't recognized natively PNG file. You have to install PNG io file
It's extrange, as I've opened it in a HD with BB4. In this I only have BB2... I'm gonna try the patch.

Here goes a photo of the picture I made (well, I modified) on my Amiga without graphic card (so no ShowAmiga96).

I tried the patch but nothing. Well, it said it coudn't install the patch (it wasn't me, it has an icon to install it). Later tried to install a more recent Png datatype of aminet but nothing. I don't know what it is. What it's true is that after I installed this Amikit conversion I have some icons that don't show an image, just a white square with the word PNG on a side, so they must be PNG icons, but I suposse I can't see them because they are dual-Png ones. What I'm doing is just change them with Ken's 2.3 ones.

And the thing is that Multiview does open the png files, so it musn't be the datatypes. I would think it's the neccesary patch, but why does the OS3.9 BB4 opens them in ImageStudio?

Well, at least I can use the program in the other HD CF...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0008.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	26971  

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 November 2010 at 01:26.
Old 07 January 2011, 18:36   #7
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
Is it possible to load PNG files (which I have on the www.amigapd.com website) on the amiga or pc and re save them in IFF format?
For the amiga, Personal Paint 7 loads and saves both PNG and IFF.
For the PC, you could use GIMP. But you also have to install the appropriate plugin to save ILBM IFF.

Last edited by Anakirob; 07 January 2011 at 20:51.
Old 07 January 2011, 19:38   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The Screenshots are 320*128 I use Paint Shop on the PC to convert them to IFF
They should be in the same palette as file AMS.IFF
AMS.IFF can be changed so you could change it to something like PD collection.
Old 07 January 2011, 20:11   #9
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
The Screenshots are 320*128 I use Paint Shop on the PC to convert them to IFF
They should be in the same palette as file AMS.IFF
AMS.IFF can be changed so you could change it to something like PD collection.
I use psp6 too works fine, resize image to 320x256, change depth to either 16 or 256, save as amiga iff and then just transfer, I use dpaint to increase or decrease colour depth
Old 07 January 2011, 20:14   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
I use psp6 too works fine, resize image to 320x256, change depth to either 16 or 256, save as amiga iff and then just transfer, I use dpaint to increase or decrease colour depth
The 320*128 and other comments from post 7 were in referance to AMIGA CD32 Games Compilation Toolkit:
Old 08 January 2011, 00:17   #11
Cammy

This is in reference to Amiga Menu System since the posts from that thread were merged over here:

Use Image Studio to load AMS.IFF. Go to the Process menu and select Palette > Save. Save the palette as AMS.palette or something in the Palettes drawer.

Now open a screenshot, choose Scale... from the Process menu, and make the image 320x128. Click OK, wait for the image to resize, then go back to the Process menu and select Palette > Load. Load the AMS.palette you saved earlier, optionally choose a dithering method (Floyd-Steinberg is a good all-rounder) and click OK. The screenshot will now have its colours reduced and remapped to the same palette as AMS, so you can save it out as an IFF/ILBM file and it should work.

If you are happy with the results, you can easily batch process a whole directory full of images to use for AMS. Image Studio can do this for you automatically and even save the images in another directory so the originals remain unaltered. To start a batch process, follow these steps:

* Make sure RexxMast is running. It can be run from your Startup-Sequence, User-Startup, WBStartup drawer, or just by double-clicking it inside the System drawer in the boot partition.
* Double-click on Batch Process from the Scripts window (open it from the Tools menu if it's not open already).
* Using the ASL requestor, choose the directory where your source images are and select them all.
* When you're asked if you'd like to use a different destination directory, it's best to choose Yes so your original images aren't overwritten.
* Choose a new directory where you want your resized, remapped images to be saved to.
* Select IFF-ILBM when you're asked to choose output format.
* When asked to choose ILBM format, select "As buffer".
* When asked if you want to save the screenmode, select "No".
* When it asks for a filename extension, just delete the ILBM part and leave it so it says: ". .IFF" then hit Enter and click OK.
* You don't need to delete the source files, so when asked, select "No".
* The next requester asks you to enter any additional processes you want done to the images. Since you want them to be resized, remapped and (possibly) dithered, you should type in this line:

COLOURS SIXTEENMILLION ; SCALE 320 128 METHOD "AVERAGE" ; PALETTE_LOAD FILE "Palettes/AMS.palette" DITHER "FS"

This should increase the colour depth to 24bit and then scale the images to 320x128 using the "Colour average" method which produces smoother results than the "Fast" method. Then the image will be reduced to 256 colours, remapped and dithered using the "Floyd-Steinberg" routine.

When it's finished you should have a directory full of images that should work in AMS now.

Some tips before you start:

* Toggle the size gadget on the main image window and/or resize it to its smallest size, this will greatly reduce processing time as it won't have to redraw and dither a large image to display in the window with each step through the batch process.
* Make sure you copy the commands exactly, using capitals where I used them.
* Of course, make sure you have the keyfile and PNG loader/saver module installed. The keyfile can go in the ImageStudio root directory.
* Set up Image Studio to use as high a resolution as you can use. Normally High Res Interlace is fine, but use HighGFX if you have an Indivision, and stick to 16 colours (it is faster this way and doesn't affect the images). RTG users don't need to worry so much.
* Open all Tool windows and lay them out neatly, then open the Prefs from the Project menu. Tick the options "Save screenmode" and "Save window positions" and hit Save.

Here is how I have my Image Studio screen laid out:

Good luck, I hope this helps!
Old 08 January 2011, 00:29   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Wow! I will keep forever this post in my PC-Favourites, although still have to try it, as the other day I used Image Studio to convert png to iff and later I used Ultimate Paint in the PC and it was much better the conversion there, but as I said I haven't read or try all this details.

For how many colors do you use all this?
Old 08 January 2011, 10:57   #13
Hewitson

I recommend the "convert" tool from ImageMagick. It's as simple as convert image.jpg image.ilbm.
Old 08 January 2011, 17:04   #14
Amiga1992

Use Personal Paint with any PNG tooltype you want. I got it all off aminet for free.
Old 18 January 2011, 22:03   #15
thanius

Updated ARexx script

Thanks, Cammy! This was exactly what I was looking for! The conversion isn't as fast as ImageMagick but at least it works!
I've edited the BatchProcess script to just letting the user choose files, output directory if wanted and whether or not user wants to delete original files while the rest is handled by the script.
Just download the attachment and unpack into the Rexx folder of ImageStudio.
I've tried to make the script accept wildcards, but that would require a total rewrite of the file handling part. Anyone up to this?
Attached Files
File Type: lha AMS-Convert.lha (1.4 KB, 386 views)