English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 08 May 2017, 18:47   #1
ptyerman

Anyone else problems with Hotmail?

Is anyone else having problems with some site logins using a Hotmail email address? I'm not sure yet if it's purely coincidental but 2 sites I use are having different problems associated with email or login, wondering if anyone else is having problems.
I have noticed Hotmail has gotten really slow lately, excruciatingly so at times, so I'm wondering if some sites have flagged it as rogue or something.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 May 2017, 21:48   #2
Leffmann

Yep, on arstechnica.co.uk since today, using my outlook.com address which is essentially the same as hotmail.com these days.
Old 08 May 2017, 22:08   #3
emufan

look here at downdetector.com. some red areas.
nsa doing some backups, to ohio facility
Old 08 May 2017, 22:45   #4
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Yep, on arstechnica.co.uk since today, using my outlook.com address which is essentially the same as hotmail.com these days.
I'm not alone then, Ars is one of the sites I can't log in to.
I've had the Hotmail address for 20 years but just lately been thinking of changing to another provider because of how slow and cumbersome Hotmail has become, and to get further away from Microsoft!
Will be a lot of work changing everything but worth it in the end I think, will start looking for a suitable provider.
Old 08 May 2017, 22:53   #5
emufan

read the comments on my link. outlook == hotmail
Old 08 May 2017, 22:55   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
I'm not alone then, Ars is one of the sites I can't log in to.
I've had the Hotmail address for 20 years but just lately been thinking of changing to another provider because of how slow and cumbersome Hotmail has become, and to get further away from Microsoft!
Will be a lot of work changing everything but worth it in the end I think, will start looking for a suitable provider.
At my office we just use gmail attached to a corporate domain; can even be nicely hooked up to a privately hosted single sign-on solution. But if you don't like Microsoft, you may not like Google either
Old 08 May 2017, 23:04   #7
ptyerman

Google is definitely not an option, that is one company I avoid like the plague.
Yes Emufan, I know outlook is Hotmail, I've had the account for 20 years. That map tells me nothing, I am in the UK which is not on the map and Ars Technica UK is not on the map either, neither is the other UK company I have been having issues with.
Looking at the comments though it appears to be worldwide so at least I know it isn't just me.
I will find something worthy I'm sure. The further away from these big corporations the better.
Old 08 May 2017, 23:21   #8
emufan

uk may block something, could be an addon of your browser too.
(ars technica i cannot find there aswell)
here is the map: red areas over parts of uk.

try https://mail.yandex.com/
Old 09 May 2017, 00:04   #9
ptyerman

Yeah that map is a bit unclear, the comments say it all though. I just did a search after looking at your link and people all over the world are spouting off about it, its even affected some businesses whom are very unhappy about the whole thing.
Will look at that link, cheers.
I may even go for a paid for service yet with domain name included, but it is a bit over the top considering what I use email for these days.
Have to see the funny side though, good old Microshaft shooting themselves in the foot again! Bit sad really as I never had problems for 20 year and now they're screwing everything up from email to Windows itself.
Old 09 May 2017, 11:58   #10
ptyerman

Well the Ars Technica login is working again but the other site (CPC) I am having problems with is still rejecting my Hotmail emails. It looks like this could take quite a while for the Outlook devs to sort out.
It really sux too at the moment as I have a return and exchange going on at CPC and really need to contact them. My email would have been the preferred method as that is what has been used throughout, but it looks like I will have to call them or use my other email account.
Damn Microsoft!
Old 09 May 2017, 20:57   #11
emufan

hotmail was my favorite for a long time too.
but after all the snowden wikileaks surveillance revelations I let russia or china spy on me
AdSense AdSense