English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 February 2018, 16:33   #781
BarryB
Amigaholic

Anyone put this internally in a Spcctrum +3? Seen the external mods but wondered if anyone has done an internal cable mod for a Gotek and what the cable looks like!
Old 12 February 2018, 17:35   #782
idrougge

Shouldn't that be much like the Amstrad CPC mods?
Old 12 February 2018, 23:44   #783
wmsteele

I have done this many years back, followed a cable diagram on cpcwiki, power cable needs modified as well.
Old 12 February 2018, 23:54   #784
Amiga1992

I've done a CPC 6128 but not a +3, supposedly they are the exact same. Yes the +12V and +5V are inverted, you gotta flip it. Be careful with that or you can burn the USB connected to the Gotek (I did this with an A500) or the Gotek itself.
Old 13 February 2018, 16:02   #785
ch40s_engineer

Hi guys,

I bought a bunch of 0.91" OLED Displays from China, but the current ones are not marked "GND VCC SCL SDA" but instead "GND VCC SCK SDA".
The FF wiki just says that the marking of the pin headers should be like the first example. so is this just an alternate name for the same signal or is this signal compatible? if not, is there any way to modify it to match SCL?

best, Chris
Old 13 February 2018, 16:38   #786
BarryB
Amigaholic

I just want to remove the +3 drive and put the gotek in place using the existing cables if possible, if I have to make a cable that's no problem, just need a link/diagram of what to wire up!
Old 13 February 2018, 16:38   #787
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch40s_engineer View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a bunch of 0.91" OLED Displays from China, but the current ones are not marked "GND VCC SCL SDA" but instead "GND VCC SCK SDA".
The FF wiki just says that the marking of the pin headers should be like the first example. so is this just an alternate name for the same signal or is this signal compatible? if not, is there any way to modify it to match SCL?

best, Chris
Hi Chris I was looking for one of them on Ebay and I've always read "SCL" on the pictures. Have you bought a bunch of OLED 0.91" 128x32 IIC I2C?

UPDATE:
I've just noticed that the one used by wmsteele says "SCK" so I think you're golden... and BTW if you want to sell one I am willing to buy it!

Last edited by jurassicman; 13 February 2018 at 18:27.
Old 13 February 2018, 17:28   #788
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I just want to remove the +3 drive and put the gotek in place using the existing cables if possible, if I have to make a cable that's no problem, just need a link/diagram of what to wire up!
All I find is the CPC 6128 diagrams, I am not 100% sure they apply to the +3, but I kind of remember that it does.

Here's a guy putting an HxC inside a 6128:
https://www.retrohax.net/amstrad-cpc-6128-hxc-mod/

Google thoroughly before you burn something up. If the +3 also has the power connector inverted, you have to make sure you don't fry something up by plugging it normally.

A lot of people choose to add it externally, though:
http://randomkak.blogspot.com/2013/0...-spectrum.html

[edit] Here, search for "(iv) Internal 3.5” A: drive on Spectrum +3" and it will say the process is the same as the Amstrad 6128:
https://www.secarica.ro/index.php/en...plus3-hardware
In red, it does say the power connector is inverted. So be wary.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 13 February 2018 at 17:38.
Old 13 February 2018, 22:13   #789
ch40s_engineer

alright, checked and they work just fine 👍
as it turns out the two displays in my possession are defective so I thought those SCK OLEDs simply don't work at all. thanks for your answers
Old 14 February 2018, 10:22   #790
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yep, seen similar info when googling before but never sure if it's +3 compatible so thanks for the info and warnings, i'll see what i can blow up over the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
All I find is the CPC 6128 diagrams, I am not 100% sure they apply to the +3, but I kind of remember that it does.

Here's a guy putting an HxC inside a 6128:
https://www.retrohax.net/amstrad-cpc-6128-hxc-mod/

Google thoroughly before you burn something up. If the +3 also has the power connector inverted, you have to make sure you don't fry something up by plugging it normally.

A lot of people choose to add it externally, though:
http://randomkak.blogspot.com/2013/0...-spectrum.html

[edit] Here, search for "(iv) Internal 3.5” A: drive on Spectrum +3" and it will say the process is the same as the Amstrad 6128:
https://www.secarica.ro/index.php/en...plus3-hardware
In red, it does say the power connector is inverted. So be wary.
Old 14 February 2018, 15:55   #791
Amiga1992

Quote:
Yep, seen similar info when googling before but never sure if it's +3 compatible so thanks for the info and warnings, i'll see what i can blow up over the weekend
The last link is +3-specific and should be safe to follow. Fear not!

I kinda miss my +3, now that Goteks exist, it would be great to have one. Alas, I never ended up using it much, like any of my Amstrads, so letting them go was the right choice.
Old 18 February 2018, 00:43   #792
SunSpire

Every time I check this thread some new progress has been made with the firmware, great work! A lot of people seem to adapt to the OLED display and rotary encoder modifications and new Gotek mounting frames have surfaced on Ebay (for instance 173118338141) that will let you mount the Gotek and OLED display in a neat-looking, non-destructive way. Really awesome, time to do these modifications myself, soon.

However, I really don't like the look of the rotary knobs being used most of the time, they stick way out of the case sideways and they get in the way for transportation reasons or dust covers. So I was wondering if something like the volume wheels found in oldschool Walkmans could be used instead? (see picture!) Of course it would have to rotate continuously without min / max positions. I've not yet found a matching product.

Such wheel would barely stick out of the case (it could be placed in the former floppy disk eject button spot) and I'd imagine it to look really nice. Worth a try? What do you think?

EDIT: Alternative idea: mouse encoder wheel??

Last edited by SunSpire; 18 February 2018 at 01:32.
Old 18 February 2018, 14:03   #793
kolla
Banned

Great idea, like the wheel on a mouse, with built in button - just scroll up and down, and press to enter.
Old 21 February 2018, 21:01   #794
Fook42

Hello Keir,
i've just pulled the latest firmware via git (0.9.9a) and built it as usual.

but can you please bring back the "normal" font to the source? you didnt mention in the release-notes but in the git log that you are abandoning the 8x16/7x16 fonts.. which makes me sad as i was happy to have a readable font on my displays.
i also cut the gotek-housing to have the full OLED display visible - but now with the new font it only displays something on the top-left corner ...

PLEASE please bring back that normal font and let me choose via FF.CFG or via build-flag which to use..

Thank you
Old 21 February 2018, 21:32   #795
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
Hello Keir,

but can you please bring back the "normal" font to the source? you didnt mention in the release-notes but in the git log that you are abandoning the 8x16/7x16 fonts.. which makes me sad as i was happy to have a readable font on my displays.
i also cut the gotek-housing to have the full OLED display visible - but now with the new font it only displays something on the top-left corner ...

PLEASE please bring back that normal font and let me choose via FF.CFG or via build-flag which to use..

Thank you
Well the tip of master is not a release. You need to checkout the appropriate tag.

The 7x16 font is definitely gone, it was quite ugly. The 8x16 'vga' font... I could keep it I guess. But the new font is perfectly readable is it not?

You are correct that the tip of master no longer fills the display. I am just going to do the patch to increase characters per row to fill the display.

Looks readable to me Anyone care to comment, or try the WIP firmware themselves?: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...54/ff-font.zip

Last edited by Keir; 21 February 2018 at 21:46.
Old 21 February 2018, 22:22   #796
Keir

Quote:
Anyone put this internally in a Spcctrum +3? Seen the external mods but wondered if anyone has done an internal cable mod for a Gotek and what the cable looks like!
Old 22 February 2018, 00:59   #797
BarryB
Amigaholic

Ooh, nice pair of adapters mate

I'm going to do a similar thing by using a 26pin plug that has the ribbon cable already crimped on and the other end loose so i'm going to put a 34pin connector on the loose end with the relevant pins connected and make an 'adapter' too

The floppy power i'm going to unpin and reverse.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:35   #798
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
Hello Keir,

Thank you
For now I have put the 8x16 font back. 6x13 is now the default font, however, and the only font in the update bootloader.

I may also mark the 8x16 font as deprecated and solicit feedback more broadly on whether users care about keeping it. If I don't hear much feedback, it may yet go...
Old 22 February 2018, 13:00   #799
Mq

I think there should be only one font, which can be small 7x16 or smaller if it is possible. It's good to fit more text on the screen (as lot as possible) when You use smaller fonts. But in the config file there could be an option to switch working area of the OLED display. It's very useful when You are fitting OLED display in the Gotek display window without modifying that window. And If You mount OLED display in another place, or You want to cut bigger window, then You can use all of the working area of the OLED display.
Old 22 February 2018, 13:05   #800
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq View Post
I think there should be only one font, which can be small 7x16 or smaller if it is possible. It's good to fit more text on the screen (as lot as possible) when You use smaller fonts. But in the config file there could be an option to switch working area of the OLED display. It's very useful when You are fitting OLED display in the Gotek display window without modifying that window. And If You mount OLED display in another place, or You want to cut bigger window, then You can use all of the working area of the OLED display.
I am about to implement "display-type=oled-128x32-narrow" to specify smaller working area. That will give 18cpr (6x13 font). Full-width display gives 21cpr.