English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 April 2016, 21:28   #1
Toki

Power problems with Power Tower/Mediator/68040

Hi

I really need some advice, hope you can help. I recently bought a 68040 card which works fine in my regular A1200, but doesn't in my Power Tower. The card is recognised but cannot accelerator performance or provide extra memory.

I'm pretty convinced that this is a power issue, or a compatibility issue with the mediator. The mediator is a basic old school mediator, which is used to provide power to the motherboard. I have a voodoo graphics card slotted into it. Removing the graphics card doesn't make any difference.
i unplugged the CD rom because there was not enough power getting to the keyboard!

Is my only option now to buy a new more modern mediator (the TX) and 350 watt ATX PSU from Amigakit.

Can't see what else I can do?

Please let me know what you think.

thanks

Last edited by DH; 10 December 2017 at 15:29. Reason: Deleted Direct Signature
Old 11 April 2016, 00:45   #2
utri007
mä vaan

I have similar setup, not with mediator but micronik zorro busboard.

It is power same way. It worked very very unreliably without extra power to A1200 mobo.

I used floppy power connector for years to inject extra power, until my friend unsoldered original A1200 power connectoer and soldered wires to it.

You could try to inject power to mobo, through floppy power connector. If it helps you should do same trick what is done to my A1200 mobo.
Old 11 April 2016, 10:15   #3
Toki

Thanks for the advice. It's useful to know that you think it's to do with the power as well. I shall probably get a more modern mediator and power supply, and trust that will do the trick. Useful to know other people's views before I spend the money!
Old 12 April 2016, 02:40   #4
-Acid-

Sounds like a simple case of the power supply isn't giving enough amps for all of the hardware you have in there. I once went from a fully working 030 in my power tower to it being dead when I swapped it for an Apollo 060, it needed a better psu.

Post a picture of the power rating sticker on the power supply for us to see. It's going to be more to do with the +5v rail I think than the wattage of it.
Old 13 April 2016, 10:10   #5
Toki

Yes, will do tonight when I get home. Thanks.
Old 14 April 2016, 16:49   #6
Toki

Hi

I've attached a copy of the label on the outside of the psu to this posting. It doesn't say a lot , and there are no other labels. Just indicates it is 200W?

I've found some AT power supplies on ebay either 300W or 350W. Do you think one of these would be a sensible replacement?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015251848...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160413_003.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	48178  

Last edited by DH; 10 December 2017 at 15:28. Reason: Deleted Direct Signature
Old 15 April 2016, 12:35   #7
Daedalus

If you're powering the Mediator directly, and not through the original A1200 power connector, powering at the floppy connector shouldn't make any difference since power is supplied through the accelerator connector anyway, not through the motherboard.

It does sound like a power issue alright, but I think replacing the Mediator is a little drastic. AT power supplies are pretty old and it's possible yours isn't working properly, but if you could get another known good one that's probably where you should start. If the CD drive needed to be taken out to get enough power for the keyboard adaptor, you're right on the limit

I use a first generation Mediator in my tower with an 060/66, 192MB, SCSI chain, all sorts of cards, drives and non-standard add-ons, and it all runs fine with a 230W PSU. So I'd start there, unless you've other reasons to update your Mediator too.
Old 15 April 2016, 23:34   #8
Kin Hell

If you look at your current PSU, is there a Date of manufacture anywhere on it?
Old 16 April 2016, 15:23   #9
Toki

Thanks for the useful advice. I can't see a manufacture date on the PSU. I will try getting a new AT psu. They don't seem to be commonly sold on ebay new. The one I have seen is 300W. Do you think that will be too powerful? I dont't want to fry anything!
Old 16 April 2016, 16:28   #10
Kin Hell

You wouldn't fry anything for having more Watts than you really need.

Problem here is buying an AT psu is going to mean it's old/used not very efficient and hotter than something newer. Please bear with me here....

I had a quick look on eBay UK and after searching for 300W ATX psu's, the results are rather disappointing. For example:

Buy it Now

Very cheap & totally nasty, or.....

Buy it Now

More money & forget the HP bit; An expensive nasty cheap psu.....

However, searching for a 350W ATX PSU & this grabbed my attention.

Buy it Now

Add to the one above one of these....

Buy it Now

....And you'll have a much more efficient PSU that will be much much quieter & cooler. Don't forget, the Corsair is brand new. You will need to look at your current tower case switch & make sure the ATX to AT connector you choose has the same, to re-fit. The ATX to AT solution you need for the Mediator is right here. Decisions decisions huh!?
Old 16 April 2016, 16:29   #11
-Acid-

A PSU cannot be too powerful as the computer will only draw the power it requires. You'd be better off getting a new ATX power supply and buying an adapter cable from somewhere like Amigakit to convert all the power connectors you need.

Look on ebay they usually put a picture of the power rating in the listing so you can see what you are getting. It's pretty much standard to get them with 30-38 amp max output on the +5V line which is plenty for an Amiga.

Here is the first one I looked at for example 36A for +5V: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201449968560

Here is the adapter cable you will need: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=306

If needed you can get Sata to molex cables for next to nothing on ebay too. Research the good makes and don't buy cheap unbranded rubbish.
Old 17 April 2016, 01:14   #12
Toki

This is great advice from both of you. Thank you very much. I didn't know that an ATX to AT convertor existed. This certainly widens the options when choosing a PSU. I shall buy a new ATX and the convertor and hopefully fit them during the week. I'll let you know how I get on. You have all been very helpful.
Old 17 April 2016, 12:16   #13
Kin Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki View Post
This is great advice from both of you. Thank you very much. I didn't know that an ATX to AT convertor existed. This certainly widens the options when choosing a PSU. I shall buy a new ATX and the convertor and hopefully fit them during the week. I'll let you know how I get on. You have all been very helpful.
A pleasure fella. Looking forward to your results.
Old 17 April 2016, 13:36   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
A PSU cannot be too powerful as the computer will only draw the power it requires.
Generally, yes, although many power supplies have a hard time regulating themselves when the current drawn is below a certain level. In modern ATX PSUs this is often the +12V line, since modern PCs are expected to draw quite a number of amps on this line for high-end GPUs and so on. Using one with too high a minimum draw might result in a PSU that refuses to run an A1200, or worse, powers up with a poorly regulated output.

Quote:
You'd be better off getting a new ATX power supply and buying an adapter cable from somewhere like Amigakit to convert all the power connectors you need.
Indeed, I forgot about that option myself. They're also simple to make if you're handy with a soldering iron.
Old 27 April 2016, 00:47   #15
Toki

Well I've now installed a new, 650W power supply (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201449968560) and the ATX converter cable. All is now lighting up and working in the Power Tower, except the 68040 card! I can see when I run SYSinfo the system recognises the card as a 68040, but doesn't recognise the memory it is carrying and doesn't run any faster.

I know there's nothing wrong with the 68040 card because it works fine in my regular A1200. Similarly when I install my 68030 card into the Tower that card works fine. It's just when I put the 68040 in the Tower which is the problem.

I wonder whether there is some compatibility issue between my 68040 card and the mediator LT card? Could it be to do with the way the jumpers are set on the on the mediator?

Is the only solution going to be to buy a new more modern mediator card. I seem to be running out of options now so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 27 April 2016, 01:15   #16
utri007
mä vaan

Your A1200 mobo is powered through mediator. Put floppy power plug from PSU to A1200 mobo's floppy power connector.

It made trick with my system.
Old 27 April 2016, 01:53   #17
Daedalus

Have a look at the Mediator manual (available here) regarding the jumper settings - there are a couple of settings that need to be made correctly depending on your setup. I would also try the towered A1200 motherboard with the 68040 card but without the Mediator attached - the compatibility issue could be between the A1200 itself and the accelerator. What exact accelerator is it? The Apollo 040 cards in particular are known to require "timing" fixes with some A1200 motherboards.

I wouldn't go buying a new Mediator unless you think your one might be faulty. You could end up having two Mediators and still no working combination.

You can also try Utri007's suggestion of putting power to the floppy connector, but I would find that an extremely unusual problem if that fixes it - I suspect that Utri's system must have had some other fault for that method to solve it.
Old 27 April 2016, 13:52   #18
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

You can also try Utri007's suggestion of putting power to the floppy connector, but I would find that an extremely unusual problem if that fixes it - I suspect that Utri's system must have had some other fault for that method to solve it.
It was very common way to solve power problems. Powering A1200 mobo through Zorro/pci extender is not very trustworthy. I know many others who have had that problem.
Old 27 April 2016, 17:23   #19
Daedalus

It was a very common way to solve power problems caused by power-hungry accelerators, such as high end 68040s and PPC boards. This was due to the power traces on the motherboard being too thin to provide all the power required without the +5V rail sagging. Having a Mediator bypasses that problem altogether by providing power directly to the accelerator, without having to load the motherboard's supply rails. I've never heard of any problems powering the motherboard from the CPU slot since the traces there are sufficient to adequately power the motherboard by itself.

Do you have any more technical details of the nature of these problems? I can't understand how it's possible without having a faulty expansion port connector, sagging power supply or some other fault.
Old 27 April 2016, 23:06   #20
Toki

Thanks for your suggestions. My 68040 is :Wizard Developments Magnum 1240 accelerator inc 16mb Ram.

I cannot try the without the mediator because I can't power the mobo in the Power Tower without it. The hole in the Tower for an external PSU is capped. So the only way I could try this would be to completely remove the mobo from the Tower. A rather big task.

I think I'll try checking the jumpers. I find the manual description of how to set them rather confusing, but it's worth a try.

The next option will be to remove the mobo from the Tower and try without the mediator in order to see whether the mobo is the problem.

Any more suggestions gratefully received.