English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 February 2019, 14:44   #641
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
as usual sarcasm does not come over well
Sometimes it's difficult to tell it apart from yet another tiresome trolling attempt.
Old 26 February 2019, 15:17   #642
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Sometimes it's difficult to tell it apart from yet another tiresome trolling attempt.
Consider this - I never attempt to troll.
Old 26 February 2019, 15:22   #643
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
NDA's for catalogue descriptions? whats next, NDA's for includes?
Yes, of course you have to sign an NDA.

When you buy the software, you also agree on this... "You are required to select the appropriate "Locale" setting based on the location where you will be operating the AmigaOS." I am so terrified by this requirement, that I consider making "trøndersk" locales!

Btw - I do wonder why the Danish language file is so much more content rich than all the other language files?
Old 26 February 2019, 16:13   #644
AMIGASYSTEM

Not even the Italian catalogs do not joke about, "Locale" and an Italian word that means "of the place". Strange but many things or applications on Amiga have Italian names, for example "Scala" which in English is "ladder"

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 February 2019 at 16:32.
Old 26 February 2019, 17:02   #645
daxb

Quote:
Btw - I do wonder why the Danish language file is so much more content rich than all the other language files?
Maybe the cause is that Danish language is much more richer then all the other languages?!
Old 26 February 2019, 17:32   #646
Locutus

must be all the hot potatoes
Old 26 February 2019, 17:44   #647
Daedalus

Quote:
Ah, that one's easy - definitely sarcasm.
Old 27 February 2019, 07:42   #648
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
"Modules" are not required and are not required if you use KickStart 3.1.4.

If you use KickStart 3.1, when installing OS 3.1.4 the Modules will be requested during installation.

With KickStart 3.1 once the "Modules" have been installed, the KickStart 3.1 will be replaced by KickStart 3.1.4 at system startup.
The intuition.library in KickStart 3.1.4 have version 40.xxx and the one on the disk have version 45.xxx.
Old 27 February 2019, 18:16   #649
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Sarcasm isn't worth much anyway; to me. Opposite of honesty in good communication. But a lot of people use it and I read messages without it. I don't enjoy assuming people are frustrated and bitter.
Old 27 February 2019, 18:33   #650
gulliver
BoingBagged

The problem with locales is that given the current "lawsuit friendly" enviroment these companies face, they both make the work more difficult for us, and we are required either to work with NDAs or line by line translations as a workaround. It sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it.

And believe me, I am the first to complain. I am having lots of headaches trying to deal with catalogs for the 3.1.4.1 update, and very few people want to really help. I see lots of complaints but few honest offers. Again, EVERYONE is welcomed to help.

I do not impose those crappy conditions, but have to respect them, and understand why they are there given the circumstances. I hate them nonetheless.

So, still, if anyone wants to help with catalogs, you are more than welcome to contact me. It is tedious work, but certainly important for non native english speakers.

Sometimes even as little as suggesting a one line fix in a catalog makes the difference. So if you have something as little as a simple word that feel is out of place, just tell me and we can discuss it.

I am currently fighting my way through Danish and Svenska (which were not in the original 3.1.4 release) and all others probably need a look too. Constructive criticism is more than welcomed.
Old 27 February 2019, 23:04   #651
Overmann

Quote:
Want to try out my Norwegian locales for 3.1.4?

Consider them "work in progress", I am just a software license breaking troll who is illegally hacking around with binary editors, since the developers and Hyperion refuse to provide catalog description files without NDA signing. I found my old Amiga developer 2.1 CD the other day, so maybe I find some tools there to improve the situation...
My copy of 3.1.4 will be arriving in about a week. I'm looking foreward to checking out your norwegian locales.
Old 28 February 2019, 01:41   #652
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
The intuition.library in KickStart 3.1.4 have version 40.xxx and the one on the disk have version 45.xxx.
You have to use Loadmodule to replace it in the system, see screnhoot, one OS 3.1.4 with intuition.library 40.xx, and one with intuition.library 45.xx

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 29 May 2019 at 22:58.
Old 28 February 2019, 01:59   #653
Hewitson

Quote:
Either do I, but it seems we are both accused of it quite frequently!
Old 28 February 2019, 14:32   #654
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
The problem with locales is that given the current "lawsuit friendly" enviroment these companies face, they both make the work more difficult for us, and we are required either to work with NDAs or line by line translations as a workaround. It sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it.
Don't be so... apologetic, there is plenty you can do. You _choose_ to let this miserable situation continue, by doing all the work for them, for free, all at their conditions. I am not at all feeling sorry for you, nor anyone else in the "team", and I am actually quite content that all the money earned from OS 3.1.4 does not go to the "team", but rather Hyperion and their lawyers. This is copyright laws working at its finest. Superb! And if you think I am sarcastic now, I am not. Nor am I trolling.

PS: Feel free to look at strings in the locales I uploaded for inspiration on how to improve the Norwegian locales.

Last edited by kolla; 28 February 2019 at 14:44.
Old 28 February 2019, 15:11   #655
gulliver
BoingBagged

@kolla

I am not apologizing.

I am only opening the process, because I thought it would be usefull for those that asked for openness. But it seems it gets missinterpreted.

And I never cared about making money from AmigaOS. It is my hobby. :-)

PS: On the other hand, I believe you are trolling yourself by working for free delivering catalogs for Hyperion so that they keep earning money.
Old 28 February 2019, 15:16   #656
kolla
Banned

I only fix the catalogs for myself, as the ones provided are horrible. Sharing them for free is not the same as working for free under NDA for Hyperion, no.
Old 28 February 2019, 15:52   #657
gulliver
BoingBagged

@kolla

The NDA is nothing more than a commitment that I won't divulge any internal secret without prior permission.

You are still working for free with nothing in return, but making a good economic favor to Hyperion. And then you are also paying them a license to be able to have 3.1.4.

In my case I get a lot out of it:

1. Early access to AmigaOS releases and betas.
2. Free AmigaOS for all Amiga models, not just one set.
3. I also participate on the development path the OS takes.
4. I have access to exclusive AmigaOS content that is not part of releases.
5. I get to meet very interesting people.
6. I learn a lot from other developers and testers.
7. I get to know more details about the history and internals of AmigaOS since I can see the sourcecode.
8. I get to practice other languages I know by doing translations, so that I don't get rusty on them.
9. I can develop something I like.

And probably a few other things I now forget.

So from my point of view, I am well compensated, within my hobby.
Old 28 February 2019, 21:13   #658
Syntrax

But how sustainable is the hyperion path? If developers are not paid and their only incentive is that they have inside knowledge of the system... Thats old after 3.1.4.1.

Old 28 February 2019, 21:31   #659
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post

And believe me, I am the first to complain. I am having lots of headaches trying to deal with catalogs for the 3.1.4.1 update, and very few people want to really help. I see lots of complaints but few honest offers. Again, EVERYONE is welcomed to help.

I do not impose those crappy conditions, but have to respect them, and understand why they are there given the circumstances. I hate them nonetheless.

So, still, if anyone wants to help with catalogs, you are more than welcome to contact me. It is tedious work, but certainly important for non native english speakers.

Sometimes even as little as suggesting a one line fix in a catalog makes the difference. So if you have something as little as a simple word that feel is out of place, just tell me and we can discuss it.

I am currently fighting my way through Danish and Svenska (which were not in the original 3.1.4 release) and all others probably need a look too. Constructive criticism is more than welcomed.
Looking forward to proof read your (Swedish) translation before release. It's better to have no translation than a bad translation.
Old 28 February 2019, 22:00   #660
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
But how sustainable is the hyperion path? If developers are not paid and their only incentive is that they have inside knowledge of the system... Thats old after 3.1.4.1.
You should ask Hyperion directly for their plans and susteinability if you really want to know.

I can tell you that we, as a team have lots of plans looking forward. And if Hyperion interests and ours are able to be somehow aligned, things can be good for everyone involved.

Again, understand this, money is not a driving issue for us. Not because we are rich people or something like that. We make our living doing other things. Of course, everyone would love to earn money testing/developing AmigaOS, but we primarily do what we do because we enjoy the Amiga, it is our hobby and passion. Our fuel and incentive comes from there.

If we were only looking for making money, I am sure we would all be testing/developing in another more mainstream platform, certainly not the Amiga.

We don't see 3.1.4.1 as the end of the road, but just a step forward in a long road ahead. We have lots of ideas and projects.

We are happy about what we achieved so far, but this had fed our ambitions and propels us to seek for more.

We want more.