English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 23 September 2014, 19:39   #1
andyhants

Can't Leave Out a Drawer from a mapped PC Drive

Hi

Hope you can help. I'm trying to use ClassicWB Full as my default system for more traditional stuff & one of things I want to do is use map a folder on my PC called 'Amiga Downloads' to access Demos / Games etc I download online. The problem is I can't get ClassicWB to 'Leave Out' that folder, it just doesn't put a drawer icon on the Workbench. I can if I create a new drawer under the System hdf but not if I try to do it with a folder from a mapped PC drive.

Is it something obvious I need to do?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 23 September 2014, 22:03   #2
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

The drawer needs an icon(.info) so it can store the information it's been be left out.

edit1:
"left out" or "outsourced"? Damn english... I hope you got the point, anyway.

edit2:
FYI:in fact the information is stored in a file called .backdrop in the root dir of the drive the file or drawer is stored on. but it will need an icon for sure anyway.

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 23 September 2014 at 22:10.
Old 23 September 2014, 22:55   #3
andyhants

Ok thanks I'll try that. So presumably WInUAE has some clever programming that 'auto-creates' a Workbench drawer icon for each Windows folder it views on a mapped windows drive without an .info file but a normal Workbench 'Leave out' request still needs a .info file?

So my dumb noob type question is how do i create a .info file for a drawer?

Thanks again

Andy
Old 24 September 2014, 04:59   #4
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Use the forum search function and enter "dumb noob type question" like "create info file".

Or use a Filemanager to copy and rename an existing Icon from another volume.
I tend to use a tool called copyicon. IIRC there was also a CLI command to create an icon but ATM I don't remember...

EDIT:Select the directory you want to leve out and select "Icon > Snapshot" from the menu. Icon created. (works with WB3.9 did not try older Versions)

Or use Icon edit, go to menu filetype and select drawer then save the icon for the folder you want to 'Leave Out'.

Edit2: If you want to snapshot the drive itself it will need a "disk.info" in the root dir of the drive.
Just in case..... ^^

If you really want to learn something study this:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS...ttaching_Icons

FYI: WinUAE does not create icons. Drives on the workbench get a default drive icon from WB for any attached Win drive/volume. Then 'show all' is activated(by default?) so you can see the windows folders/files on that drive.

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 24 September 2014 at 15:24.