English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 16 December 2012, 22:27   #1
jackhulk

How to maximum 1024x600 [10:6] screen without adjusting filter for each game?

Hello

I have a Samsung N220 netbook with screen size of 1024x600 [10:6] running 1.5.2 due to crackling sound with latest version. After using Null filter and settling on adjustments to maximum screen usage, I'm discovering that various games seem to use more or less screen than others, laughing in the face of my 'one size fits all' setting.

I used Cannon Fodder, IK+ and Lotus to arrive at Null filter of 1x Horiz/Vert size -343 which gave least amount of black bars, without cutting any of the various games image off. Then I fired up Seni, and that appears to use more screen than all of the others, meaning I then have to reduce Horiz/Vert to zero just to fit the entire pitch on screen. Great for Sensi, but when I replay IK+ for example, the screen is tiny again.

My setting are as follows. If it's not mentioned, then settings are as default.

Display
>Full screen: 1024x600
>Native mode: Fullscreen
>Horizontal & Vertical setttings checked
>Correct Aspect ratio: unchecked. This actually messes up ratio badly

Filter
>Horiz/Vert size: -611 [Perfect for Lotus and IK+. Big fat fail with Cannon Fodder and Sensi though]
>Horiz. pos: 0
> Vert pos:70
>Keep aspect ratio: checked
>There is a dropbox here with 4:3 etc, but my 10:6 is not listed so I leave this disabled.

I've tried every possible combination, but can't get it right. Is it not possible then for WinAUE [1.5.2] to automatically resize according to games screen size requirements? Or will I need to save a different configuration for each different game? Or is there another way, something else I'm missing here?

Thank you

Last edited by jackhulk; 16 December 2012 at 22:47.
Old 17 December 2012, 08:06   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't support old versions and it is most likely much easier to solve the config problem.

Run 2.5 on your netbook, enable logging, enable on screen leds, boot to game, wait 10 seconds and describe what CPU% number does, quit emulation. Include your config file, winuebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt.
Old 17 December 2012, 12:17   #3
jackhulk

Thank you Toni. I've attached debug log.

CPU hovers around 60% (with 5-10% fluctuations) which is very similar to 1.5.2, although that uses ever so slightly less.

Things I've tried:
Adjust Compatibility vs Required CPU Power
Increased Sound Buffer Size
Disable Cycle-exact

While disabling Cycle-exact cured the cracking sound I experienced with Cannon Fodder, sound effects were then missing from IK+.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuae_debug.txt (42.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 17 December 2012, 17:29   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

IK+ is a special case, perhaps someday I'll check why the sound only works in cycle-exact mode..
Old 17 December 2012, 19:59   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Right, IK+ sound code is bad, it seems programmer was confused about interrupts and added small delay hack that "fixed" the problem when real problem was not clearing audio interrupt request before enabling audio interrupts.

This small delay runs too quickly on non-cycle exact modes: no sound effects.

IK+ sound worked on old versions because sound emulation was not accurate. (No, this can't be "fixed" because new sound code fixed problems with other games)

What about using whdload? whdload ik+ should fix the sound issue. (if not, fix is easy)