English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 October 2001, 17:25   #1
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question Favourite or old memory of Edutainment titles at School?

Seeing a posting earlier about an old edutainment title made me think to post this question.
You knew them-you were so desperate to skip other schoolwork in class you convinced yourself you liked them-
Regardless of which system(s), name your "fave" or memorable old edutainment titles in school.

To kick things off, in primary school,(Grade's 1-7 for the overseas peoples), my earliest memory of edutainment came on the C64 with two titles from Broderbund,(I think!).
One was called "Raft Away River" & the other title "Gold Dust Island". Both had similar scenarios in where you were wrecked & had a limited amount of days to build a rescue boat/raft to escape death, typhoons etc.

And of course, I remember playing the original "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago" too.
Old 09 October 2001, 17:38   #2
Drake1009

Edutainment? In school? Ooh I remember that. I think it was on a Comal 80 (Or something similarly old capable of only showing text). The only thing we ran on it were classes to learn typing in 5th grade. We spent about 3 lessons on it in total before stopping again. I think that's about my experience with edutainment in school.

Of course I realize you had to add "tainment" from entertainment. Well the extent of entertainment here was the ability to see the characters pop up on screen as you typed them and watching them turn red when you pressed the wrong key. Really great fun since we had some text to type which we had to type within a time limit. Didn't really rub off on us though (How could've it had when we only had 3 lessons with it?)

Back then of course I was using a C128 so I had already seen more impressive things from computers. I weren't impressed at all except maybe at the fact that while some monitors had like 4 colors other monitors ran exactly the same program in greenscale (Never saw that before).
Old 09 October 2001, 17:47   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

When I was at primary school the only computer I had access to was an old BBC and the word processing software, using a dot matrix printer. But I never saw any edutainment titles.
Old 09 October 2001, 18:03   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Chuckie Egg

Right you can laugh, but whenever I see a big gay-assed looking yellow bird, I run like crazy in the opposite direction, a lesson all of us need to learn

I never was told to use any Education titles at school, they may have tried them on the other kids there but not me, they wouldn't dare

Oh yeah, my school used BBC's and Archemides, which I knew more about than the bloody teacher
Old 09 October 2001, 20:23   #5
Akira

Well, I had none at school, but I have a few at home. 3 from Davidson (they made great titles) and one from EA

Algeblaster, Spell-it! and Speed Reader, all for the C64 from Davidson. The last one is particularly excellent!

The EA one is Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. One BRILLIANT program.
Old 10 October 2001, 01:06   #6
Amigaboy

OMG!

Raft Away River! Thanks 7-Zark-7! You helped me remember what that stupid game was called!

We used to have Apple II's when we were in school, and they made us play this game, as well as "Dinosaur Discovery" (I think that's what it's called)

We later got Macs (and this is how it stayed for the rest) and we played games like "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" and "Sanchez"

Now. We got the choice between MACs and PCs at uni. I use the PCs and I don't play edutainment (since we have none). I usually play around with WinUAE, or I just pull out my laptop and muck around with that

Old 10 October 2001, 04:54   #7
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Maths Blaster and Carmen Sandiego immediately come to mind...

Later on, we had a game where you were some sort of superhero and had to solve problems with maths or logic. All I can remember was that your "Godfather" type enemy was called "Grubble" and his two henchmen were called "Grubble's Grabbers.":laugh Later still there was another game where you were some sort of detective, dressed in sneakers, baseball cap and jacket. You would walk around this building, and when you saw a walking TV, you would zap it with your ray gun. After this, the TV you captured would give you a maths equation to solve.

Best Amiga education game:FUN SCHOOL 3 :laugh :laugh :laugh

Me and my friend saw an upturned bin once on garbage collection day, close to his house. Now we weren't poverty stricken bin-scabs ,but we did notice that someone had thrown out a copy of Fun School 3! We took it, and to our surprise, it actually worked.

That game provided many hours of entertainment...
Old 10 October 2001, 05:50   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, I missed edutainment in my school days, but the titles I have looked at on the Amiga which I found to be above par would have to be Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, and the much overlooked Discovery series (Discovery Math and Discovery Spell...there may be more, I can't remember). If anyone is interested and haven't seen these great games, I can post them.
Old 10 October 2001, 09:33   #9
RetroMan

Back in my school days I had an Amstrad CPC and nearly no games for it So I bought myself a Mag and typed in a Basic Programm called "Invader", it was a Space Invaders clone as you might have guessed allready and it was fun ..... I enjoyed self typed games out of mags those days (at least cause I got no money to spend for commercial games, and sadly all of my Classmates had a C64 but I never wanted to miss my CPC )
Old 10 October 2001, 20:58   #10
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzkat
Later on, we had a game where you were some sort of superhero and had to solve problems with maths or logic. All I can remember was that your "Godfather" type enemy was called "Grubble" and his two henchmen were called "Grubble's Grabbers.":laugh Later still there was another game where you were some sort of detective, dressed in sneakers, baseball cap and jacket. You would walk around this building, and when you saw a walking TV, you would zap it with your ray gun. After this, the TV you captured would give you a maths equation to solve.
I think these are the games from the 'Super Solvers' series? Very snazzy! I will try to post screenshots later. Teh last one sounds like Super Solvers' Mysteries...
Old 11 October 2001, 01:32   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

"Dildo Danny and Vibrator Vincent on the Moon", a game about sex toys that try to rape alien females was awesome. it taught kids to be degenrate.
"Lets Make Bowelmovement", published bt Fecal Minds in 1992, an obscure title to teach people how to make BM is also one that comes to mind.
Strangely, the sequel, "Lets Make Bowelmovement 2: Quest for the Throne" never made it to the Amiga.
Old 11 October 2001, 02:52   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That's because it was shit...
Old 11 October 2001, 04:45   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

LOL!!!
Old 11 October 2001, 11:50   #14
Paul
RIP Friends

Just rememed an edutainment title called LOGO where you had to type coordinates in to draw.

e.g.

FD 100
RT 90
FD 100
RT 90
FD100
RT 90
FD100

*---------|
|.............|
|.............|
|---------|
Old 11 October 2001, 11:56   #15
RetroMan

Well, it´s hard to believe, but LOGO was in fact sold as a programming language as basic or C :laugh but it wasn´t more that an attempt to bring little kids with fun to the computer and draw with simple codes
Old 11 October 2001, 12:03   #16
Amigaboy

You guys may not believe me, but LOGO is pretty powerful if you use it properly. This is because it's based on turtle graphics

Old 11 October 2001, 12:05   #17
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
You guys may not believe me, but LOGO is pretty powerful if you use it properly........
Yap, I know ! I used LOGO a lot on my CPC long time ago... I still got a manual for it I think But I still won´t consider it being a programming language ..........
Old 11 October 2001, 12:33   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my Amiga files, I have a copy of Amiga LOGO. Heck, I think I even have Amiga Ada!
Old 11 October 2001, 19:04   #19
Akira

My sis was taught LOGO at school. I already knew BASIC by then and I found LOGO to be nice, but I always thought that stupid turtle was way off place :P
Old 11 October 2001, 20:16   #20
RetroMan

HEheHE ..... on the CPC the "turtle" looks like a spaceship (or more like a triangle) from the CPC game "Thrust"