English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 October 2009, 01:55   #41
Kitty

Quote:
Pre-installed WinUAE emulation environment ideal for beginners
ClassicWB P96 and ADVSP sharing PC directories
This is all ready to go, with hard drive & preinstalled WHDLoad?
Also can you use previous WinUAE configs with this?

Edit Ok I just read here > http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38299

I'll have a go at installing this tommorrow after work, thanks for the link TheCyberDruid, most helpfull as usual

Last edited by Kitty; 06 October 2009 at 02:07.
Old 06 October 2009, 02:03   #42
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Then have a look here : http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm
Bloodwych is an active member here, so any questions will be answered by 'the one and only' Bloodwych \o/ (sorry, but got a little excited after all this nonsense )
Old 06 October 2009, 02:08   #43
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
It's all explained here black on white... on green I mean

AmigaSYS is nothing complicated, much like a patchwork made of WB 3.1 coupled with tools and patches gathered from Aminet to increase its usability. I find it more rewarding to start building a custom OS from scratch, but it needs some patience and dedication.

I think R-N screenshot is taken from ClassicWB, which in my opinion is the "pro" WB by excellence. Granted, it doesn't use RTG, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone starting with emulation.

@Ian
Glad to hear that, since your "input" on the threads in which I participate are simply breathtaking, at the same time sensible and full of discerning appreciations . Cya then, and good luck with your students !
Old 06 October 2009, 02:14   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
It's all explained here black on white... on green I mean
Kitty doesn't need it to play games with WHDLoad Deleauvive Why do you continue posting OT stuff here anyway? It makes no sense. This thread was about getting a fullscreen without borders or graphic glitches thread before you posted your 'sueful advices'. It has nothing to do with the matter and you're again not helpful at all.
And btw : ClassicWB is not more complicated to set than AmiSYS.
Old 06 October 2009, 02:25   #45
Kitty

Looking at the packages, the 'Full Version' is the one that Retro-Nerd is using? although the 'Lite Version' looks the same too.
I'm guessing the Full version includes WHDLoad
Old 06 October 2009, 02:29   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

ClassicWB Lite, yep. All other versions use Scalos as an WB replacement. It's a matter of taste, i like the standard WB.
Old 06 October 2009, 02:29   #47
NewDeli
Banned

Did I say "kitty, get Picasso96 to playWHDLoad games ?" It's the second time you're putting that upfront TCD, and I am pretty sure I haven't said or implied that, nor thought it could do any good to play WHDLoad games.

Let's assume here my focus is explaining how I would do to displaying WB in full screen mode without borders.

I am speaking about MY experience, so the part concerning AmigaSYS VS classicWB only applies to ME. the config. provided with AmigaSYS is somehow generic, one can almost use one of his custom A1200 config. "as is" to boot the .HDF (kitty managed to boot it, and go on with the install after inserting WB 3.1 ADF).

I find ClassicWB to be much less forgiving in that perspective. I suppose this, augmented by the many screenmodes uaegfx offers make reverting from RTG'd Workbenching not an interesting option for me.

And please, it's all right for people to disagree with me, but don't make it sound like I am pretending to be a substitute for Bloodwych insights on his own productions.

Last edited by NewDeli; 06 October 2009 at 03:25.
Old 06 October 2009, 02:33   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Let's assume here my focus is explaining how I would do to displaying WB in full screen mode without borders.
Okay, if your 'advice' is overly complicated than yes I might agree Please Kitty stick to Retro-Nerd as he knows what he's taling about
Old 06 October 2009, 02:39   #49
NewDeli
Banned

Look, kitty's decision is not to stick with AmigaSYS (which is fine with me).

So to get his WB 3.1 use uaegfx driver the same way this distro. permits it,
which I believe could help to achieve "displaying WB in full screen mode bla bla",
it needs installing Picasso96 AFAIK.

If you ara aware of any other way to RTG'fy a bare-bones WB 3.1 , by all means inform us .
Old 06 October 2009, 02:44   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
So to get his WB 3.1 use uaegfx driver the same way this distro. permits it,
which I believe could help to achieve "displaying WB in full screen mode bla bla",
it needs installing Picasso96 AFAIK.
I have to problem to display WB fullscreen without Picasso96 and I'm sure Retro doesn't either. Really, stop posting off info Deleauvive
Old 06 October 2009, 03:04   #51
NewDeli
Banned

Well, the point is not you or R-N achieving this (with ClassicWB, I presume), it's kitty achieving it with WB 3.1, from which apparently you're having him shift away, to use ClassicWB.

Of course, it might be the best thing for him to do, but quite frankly I don't think the documentation and utilities I pointed to were that worthless.

"I can't follow that tutorial" and "I will have to give up on that" aren't part of my philosophy, especially with such basic, essential knowledge as screen modes and getting one's WB RTG'd (you're well aware the majority of WinUAE users which are using preconfigured WB's gave up on the initial screenmodes, PAL HiRes laced and such, aren't you).

I am quite sure you couldn't improve your own technical experience if you had always followed the route "ah, that seems easier to grab, so let's do it this way instead".

Last edited by NewDeli; 06 October 2009 at 03:27.
Old 06 October 2009, 03:05   #52
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This is no rocket science. A WinUAE 640x512 resolution, a bit prefs/overscan tweaking. There is still a tiny black boarder left. But you can resize the horizontal/vertical image of your monitor manually a bit, to get a nearly borderless WB. No need for a RTG emulation imho and it has nothing to do with ClassicWB.

If you want to play PAL Overscan games like SWOS or The Settlers, switch to a 720x576 resolution.
Old 06 October 2009, 03:21   #53
Kitty

Well I appreciate (as always ) everyones help on this, even if I may have started a TheCyberDruid/Deleauvive Amiga War lol

Oh for the record 'cause I noticed people are getting my gender confused, Im a female not a male Deleauvive lol

I'm gonna go for Classic Workbench simply because it seems easy to setup, as I said earlier Im not an Amiga expert (yet )

Last edited by Kitty; 06 October 2009 at 03:29.
Old 06 October 2009, 03:54   #54
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I may have started a TheCyberDruid/Deleauvive Amiga War
I have no problem admitting I am the challenger in this duel (it's not new btw). As long as no personal judgements are involved, I have always been keen on reading/hearing one's argumentation. As in real life groups, I think it's healthy for some individuals to let their dissending voice be heard.

Nothing fruitful comes from boards where long-time members merely congratulates one another, and the Amiga has a tradition of letting that happen more often than not.

This said not all the Germans here are hot-tempered like TCD or Toni !

Quote:
I'm gonna go for Classic Workbench
Relax, don't RTG your WB, when you want come to it !

On a more serious note, I think it will become harder and harder for you to avoid reading some manuals, browsing Aminet, and exercicing with the different setup, be it ClassicWB or basic WB 3.1. And one day, you should make your first true bug report !

Quote:
Im a female not a male Deleauvive
So I was right to avoid making this joke about your MiniMig :
"stop humping the laser, MiniMig !"
Old 06 October 2009, 04:11   #55
Kitty

I reverted back again to beta16 and the problem is back again

Below is expansions settings screen-grab, is this on or not? idk?

Im gonna add my config as I think feel this is something others may be able to help.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Amiga AGA CD Fullscreen.uae (18.0 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Kitty; 06 October 2009 at 04:20.
Old 06 October 2009, 04:35   #56
NewDeli
Banned

For one your FPS should be 50 not 40-42, so something seems wrong on the PC side.
  • Can you post a screenshot of your WinUAE Display settings ?
  • Does your computer run graphic card latest drivers ?
  • What is the max resolution of your monitor ?
I am afraid this config won't help much, when it comes to playing games but we'll come to that later.
If you don't mind resetting the Hard drives tab settings, load the A1200 QuickConfig, save it and set it as default for now.
Old 06 October 2009, 05:49   #57
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Once and for all. ClassicWB LITE don't use a graphic card emulation!!!

@Kitty

Use a quickstart A1200 config. 2 MB Chip, 4-8 MB Fastram. No slowram, no Z3 Fastram, no RTG emulation, no JIT. Move the CPU Idle slider more to the left, if you can't get constant 50 Frames per second.

Switch from "fastest possible" to an "Adjustable between CPU and chipset" setting (boots the WB much faster without JIT).

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 06 October 2009 at 06:06.
Old 06 October 2009, 07:14   #58
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
This said not all the Germans here are hot-tempered like TCD or Toni !
Toni is from Finland.
Old 06 October 2009, 09:07   #59
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Well, the point is not you or R-N achieving this (with ClassicWB, I presume), it's kitty achieving it with WB 3.1, from which apparently you're having him shift away, to use ClassicWB.
It's really sad that you can get what Kitty tries to achieve and how it's done. You're posting OT info (which isn't wrong per se) and when pointed at that you do, you simply deny it and rant about. You gave wrong information in this thread regarding the screen mode settings and filter (like you do most of the time). Also I'm not 'shifting away' anyone to use ClassicWB, Kitty asked about it. Kitty is new to Amiga emulation and surely it's a kida steep learning curve if you want to do it right. I'm really not sure if you are the right 'guide' if you continue to post your besides the point and wrong info.

@Kitty
About the config : Choose 2 MB Chip and 16 or 32 MB Z3 fast (not the other way around ). Still don't have the garbage at the bottom of the screen when switching back and forth. Maybe you want to update your DirectX? Oh and for the filter : Try setting 'Bilinear 32 bit'

Last edited by TCD; 06 October 2009 at 10:34.
Old 06 October 2009, 16:23   #60
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You can't get what Kitty tries to achieve and how it's done.
If you mean reproducing the bug, no I can't reproduce it, neither can you, apparently...

Like R-N and you now, I suggested kitty to discard her current config. and use the A1200 QuickConfig one (with HDD manually reset) as the default one, the fact that it comes from me makes it misleading 'guidance' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
regarding the screen mode settings and filter
Well, I don't think it's very useful for the moment to suggest a filter if the display is broken on the PC side, which both the glitches that can be seen on the inferior border and the erratic FPS give a blatant indication of.

To me, switching to any filter or to any preconfigured WB won't improve the way WB is displayed if no other action is taken (not talking about eye-candy of course), be its window stretched via overscan, full-size or whatever". If you want to dismiss this as wrong info as well, it makes it more understandable, at least for me, if you go into detailed explanations while doing so.

My point is that being able to choose from various ScreenModes may help in "debugging" gfx glitches, but it's not the route being taken, so be it.

I suggest staying put on this discussion until kitty reports on the success of failure to display the WB properly, be it 3.1 or ClassicWB.

Last edited by NewDeli; 06 October 2009 at 16:30.