English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.EAB File Server

Old Today, 00:54   #2161
Dunny

I'd be Ok with kicking them off after 12 hours tbh. Or after each file they have downloaded completes.
Old Today, 01:01   #2162
DH

Actually Dunny, that's a better solution, kick off after download or after 12hrs, whichever is the soonest. Oh, and unable to log back in for say 15 minutes.

Of course they'll have to be limited to 1 download at a time (if that isn't already implemented) or they'll get kicked off midway through the second,or more, downloads.
Old Today, 01:17   #2163
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah, I was being generous with 72 hours really... but given that the download speed is only maximum 50kb/sec, they aren't doing real EAB FTP members any harm.

...but they are for others in the same situation i.e. if you are an anonymous user then you don't have much of a chance of ever getting connected with some people staying attached for days / months

I'm sure Turran will come up with a fair / viable solution but do please still give your opinions

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saying all of the above; I also think EAB FTP users shouldn't be connected for more than 5 days consistently; that's crazy and probably an attempt to leech everything in a short space of time for some unknown reason...

Yes, I'm looking at these people who are month upon month consistently smashing the EAB File Server and at the top of every "download" list available (day / week / month / all time)

Code:
.--------------------------------------------------------------------=-.
| ## User         Location/Tagline         Files  Megabytes   Avg k/s   |
|-=-------------------------------------------------------------------=-|
[01] pgovotsos    pgovotsos              963,965 3,869,62MB    750K/s
[03] icycool      icycool                593,012 1,137,45MB    210K/s
[04] drwhy        drwhy                  560,612  996,585MB   1096K/s
Bet none of you have even bothered to donate towards Turran's running costs / upgrades
Old Today, 01:20   #2164
DH

Bleeding leechers, they're everywhere

Why on earth would someone want to leech everything from the ftp, it's not like they'll be able to use or view everything they get in their lifetime, jesus, it'll take about 3 lifetimes to sift through everything
Old Today, 14:04   #2165
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Turran; maybe it's a good idea to kick anonymous users off the server after 3 days of constant connection if possible?

I usually do that manually and give them a nice little temporary ban in the firewall to prevent them from logging in again for a day or two.

But no automated system for it in place.

Quote:
...as you can see, some anonymous users have been connected for 153 and 79 days straight trying to leech as much as they can

Its 154 and 79 hours, not days =) I've been lazy kicking.

Quote:
Bet none of you have even bothered to donate towards Turran's running costs / upgrades
pgovotsos is OK. Hes donated quite a bit because hes local backup crashed that he'd already downloaded over the months. We came to an arrangement so he could download it again as it was easier that way (Why he wants a full backup is another question, but I did not really care, heh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Actually Dunny, that's a better solution, kick off after download or after 12hrs, whichever is the soonest. Oh, and unable to log back in for say 15 minutes.
While kicking after <minutes> is not a problem, preventing them from logging in can only be done in the firewall and not as easy to script. Just kicking does not do much because they have a login-retry limit of 0 seconds so they usually get the free slot themselves when trying again. I tried it but all it did was kick them and they logged back in, now with a reset "time online" timer.
Edit: Actually, might be able to do this, giving them a temporary ban to allow someone else to pick up the empty slot. I'll look into it.

Last edited by Turran; Today at 14:18.