Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 December 2002, 23:09   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Angry Help Before I go mad

Hi guys!

Im having trouble with this lot:

A1200
Blizzard 1230iv (backup - Apollo 1230 lite)
16megs of fast ram
Kicktstart 3.1 roms
Buffered interface
EZ ide (idefix97) fully regged!
1.2gig drive inside 1200 (3 1/2)
ide cd-rom

I can install os3.5 or 3.9 only if i say no to installing the cdrom drivers.... if i do allow the cdrom stuff the amiga will boot but nothing appears on screen? it just sits there after its loaded up... sod all but a black screen?

if i remove the idefix stuff it works! the only way i know to solve the problem is to remove the buffered interface and only have the hard drive and cdrom as master/slave using some atapi software i got ages ago...

Its never worked with any buffered interface ive used on it regardless of the blizzard, apollo030, hard disk or motherboard i have used! i must use 3.5 or 3.9 cuzz the tcp stack works great with networking!

im pished off please help!

Last edited by ElectroBlaster; 08 December 2002 at 00:16.
Old 08 December 2002, 19:13   #2
blackcornflake

I have a similar hardware setup, and use OS3.9 without problems. The problem may be one of two things.

I believe the OS3.9 installation script copies a new scsi.device to your DEVS: drawer, and that this may be the problem.

The Official AmigaOS3.9 FAQ suggests trying the following:

Insert the following line into your S:Startup-Sequence: SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device"

Another possible reason for problems: the drives may be connected to the buffered interface in a way that it doesn't like.

This Eyetech Support Page has a number of recommendations for drive/interface configurations.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:25   #3
utri007
mä vaan

I've similar problem

I can't install CD-rom driver, maybe because I want to name cd-drive to CD1: (I can still play old cd32 games assing cd0: to where ever i want to)

I've tried to found scsi device from OS3.9 cd-rom but i'ven't found it.
Old 10 December 2002, 10:57   #4
oldpx

I have a idefix controller. It has two parts, the 4-way adapter and another piece that sits on yhe gayle chip. That second part only caused problems for me, I could never got it working. It works without that piece but I'm not sure what the drawback is.

Old 10 December 2002, 22:20   #5
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

After lots of probs getting OS3.9 running under UAE (and none on the A4000 w/ CyberStorm Mk II 040/40), I'd say blackcornflake's hit it on the head, as OS3.9's startup-sequence has a whole bunch of stuff near the start for IDEfix, squirrel etc.

REM them out using ';' at the start of the line and just leave the line:

SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device"

With that setting the CDROM device should work as normal, and you should see the EBD workbench coming up after a bit of CD accessing.

You'll need to make the same changes to the file on the HD after installing OS3.9.
Old 10 December 2002, 22:47   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I have 3.9 running on winuae no problem! apart from the soddin AUX problem on the windows side

I will try whats been suggested! I have backed up my real amiga's workbench partition just in case it all goes pete tong.