English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 July 2011, 02:29   #1
pickaweapon

Snakes!

Probably a long-shot but one of my fave Amiga games is a little known gem called Snakes. It's a brilliant 1/2 player game. Can't seem to get hold of the disk image and I seem to have the only copy with all 50 levels! Type "Snakes title theme by Hein Holt" into youtube and see if it jogs anyone's memory. I'm looking to have this converted to adf for use with WinUAE (assuming the disk still works after all this time) and I'm wondering if there is anyone who is able to convert it so I can get this in the free public domain. BTW, I'm based in London

Cheers
Old 18 July 2011, 02:40   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Dunno if it helps, but have a look at those Assasins disks : http://awesome.commodore.me/cia_page...archterm=Snake
Maybe it one of those
Old 18 July 2011, 03:40   #3
Leffmann

Check with prowler here on the forum, he's the resident Disk Doctor.
Old 18 July 2011, 12:38   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickaweapon View Post
Probably a long-shot but one of my fave Amiga games is a little known gem called Snakes. It's a brilliant 1/2 player game. Can't seem to get hold of the disk image and I seem to have the only copy with all 50 levels! Type "Snakes title theme by Hein Holt" into youtube and see if it jogs anyone's memory. I'm looking to have this converted to adf for use with WinUAE (assuming the disk still works after all this time) and I'm wondering if there is anyone who is able to convert it so I can get this in the free public domain. BTW, I'm based in London

Cheers
The chances are you will be able to achieve this yourself if you still have a real Amiga.

Do you still have one, and if you do, which one and what memory does it have?
Old 18 July 2011, 20:25   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm looking to have this converted to adf for use with WinUAE (assuming the disk still works after all this time) and I'm wondering if there is anyone who is able to convert it so I can get this in the free public domain. BTW, I'm based in London.
Hi pickaweapon,

You're quite welcome to send the disk to me. I'll convert it to .ADF and return the disk to you.

I'm based in Sidcup, South East London. PM me if you'd like my help with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Check with prowler here on the forum, he's the resident Disk Doctor.
Thanks for your kind words, Leffmann.

Last edited by prowler; 18 July 2011 at 21:42.
Old 18 July 2011, 23:40   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

PM received and reply sent.
Old 21 July 2011, 00:54   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

This morning, I received a package from pickaweapon containing two floppy disks: (1) An original The One Amiga August 1993 Coverdisk B, which includes the five level demo version of Snakes as well as a demo version of Ishar 2 and the complete Wibble World Giddy arcade adventure game, and (2) the full 50 level Snakes disk labelled "SNAKES (C) 1993 VICTRIX P.O. BOX 76 4840 AB PRINSENBEEK HOLLAND".

This evening, I tested both disks in my KryoFlux set up. The coverdisk is completely unreadable and behaves just like an unformatted floppy, and the Snakes disk is in a very poor state with many bad (flaky) sectors.

I have found three copies online (one at nthdimension and two on the EAB File Server) of what appear to be valid dumps of The One Amiga's August 1993 Coverdisk B. After removing 44 duplicate block 1759s from the end of two of these images, the three turned out to be identical, so I'm assuming they're okay, but I havent confirmed this yet.

I have both the knowledge and the equipment to salvage the full version Snakes disk if it's at all possible, but it will take a huge amount of tedious, repetitious work to do so, and for this reason I'm going to have to postpone continuing with this until I have completed salvaging Glen Cumming's AlienBash source disks (almost there!) and restored CU_AMiGA's Sharp X68000 hard drive.

In the meantime, I am uploading The One Amiga's August 1993 Coverdisk B, which includes the five level demo version of Snakes to The Zone.

@pickaweapon,
If you don't yet have access to The Zone, have a look here:
How do I get access to the zone?

Edit: Snakes playing instructions are available on page 11 of the magazine here:
http://amr.abime.net/issue_342_coverdisks

Last edited by prowler; 21 July 2011 at 01:29.
Old 21 July 2011, 17:36   #8
pickaweapon

Many thanks for everything Prowler, I have every faith in your ability! Cheers for pointing me to the demo version - great playing it after so long - happy days! Let's hope you can work your magic with my sadly corrupted full-version disk, but if it's too far gone then I'll be happy that I at least gave it the best chance of salvage - I might then have to do some snooping and stalking to find out if the game creators can be located.
Old 21 July 2011, 23:29   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi pickaweapon,

I've discovered what's wrong with the coverdisk. The stainless steel hub has become detached from the disc. These parts are held together by a ring of double-sided tape, which has become unstuck.

This can be a problem with old floppy disks and has cropped up here from time to time (this was the last time it happened, IIRC), so it would be useful to see if this disk can be repaired.

I suspect that to get the disk reading again properly it will be necessary to join the two parts so that the disc runs concentrically when rotated, though what degree of precision is required is uncertain.

This particular disk will be a perfect example to experiment with, since the coverdisk content has already been dumped, so no important data will be lost in the event of failure, but if it is possible to reattach the disc to the hub, there is an existing disk image with which to compare the result of subsequent attempts to read this disk.

I will separate the two halves of the disk enclosure using a scalpel in the next couple of days and then try to think of the best way of rejoining the hub and disc (all suggestions welcome ).

In the meantime, I will try reading the full version Snakes disk from time to time until I am ready to start a full salvage operation on it. In my experience, the chance of recovering an unreadable floppy gradually improves the more the disk is "exercised".
Old 22 July 2011, 00:08   #10
pickaweapon

Wow! There is a real art to this stuff eh? I am officially signing those disks over to you to experiment with as you wish. I'm more than happy to have just the images and don't need them returned. The disk image you kindly located for me is working a treat Happy joy!
Old 22 July 2011, 00:15   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
The disk image you kindly located for me is working a treat Happy joy!
Thanks for confirming that. I still haven't got around to trying it. Some coverdisk archives are still in a bit of a mess, I'm afraid.
Old 22 July 2011, 16:20   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Tried the Demo nice game
Would it be alright/Possible to just upload the full game as is - even with Read Errors? just using Dic,RawDic,RawRead PowerCopy .............

Last edited by Retro1234; 22 July 2011 at 16:25.
Old 22 July 2011, 16:52   #13
Paul_s

Snakes on a Plane
Snakes inside Amiga?
Old 22 July 2011, 21:54   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Tried the Demo nice game
Would it be alright/Possible to just upload the full game as is - even with Read Errors? just using Dic,RawDic,RawRead PowerCopy .............
Hi Boo Boo,

Yes, of course it's possible, but I'd rather not because there would just be too much corruption due to so many flaky sectors.

What I am prepared to do if you really want to have a look before I start trying to salvage it with intent, is upload an image made with the registered version of Disk2FDI with all valid sectors present, but every bad sector zeroed out.

If this initial disk image does anything useful at all, and there is sufficient interest, then later, when I start recovering the bad sectors, I could upload updated images with increasing numbers of sectors restored until further progress becomes impossible or it is complete.

Earlier this evening, I cracked open the Snakes demo coverdisk enclosure just sufficient to get the disc out so it can be reused without gluing. However, I haven't removed it yet because I don't want to risk exposing it before I've decided on the best way of rebonding it to the hub.
Old 22 July 2011, 22:48   #15
pickaweapon

Great to see such interest in this game. It seems to be running a tad faster than it did on my A500 (or maybe it's me that's slower?) so I put it on 'Boring' mode and it seemed to do the trick (Haven't needed to fart around with the cpu speed settings just yet). It's so good with two players, perfect for indulging in your inner bastard, get the nitro powerup, zoom ahead of other player and and lay some tail in their face. BRRRROING!
Old 23 July 2011, 11:56   #16
Paul_s

I loaded up the demo this morning - completely forgot about this game! I remember playing this just over 10 years ago like a mad man Fond memories. Hope the Full game can be recovered

It was also ported to the PC - http://www.download-central.ws/DOS/Games/S/Snakes!/ (demo available on that link)

Last edited by Paul_s; 23 July 2011 at 12:03.
Old 23 July 2011, 13:57   #17
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I think the Demo will keep me busy for now If its possible to dump a working copy of the the full game as is that be great.
Old 23 July 2011, 17:30   #18
Dreedo

The one on Aminet is the full game isn't it?
Old 23 July 2011, 21:36   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

The one on Aminet has only 21 levels; not the full 50 mentioned by pickaweapon.

However, if it's the same game, that archive might help repair some of the bad sectors on the disk. Thanks for spotting that one, Dreedo!
Old 23 July 2011, 22:13   #20
pickaweapon

Wow! I haven't seen that file thanks Dreedo! - dying to try it out when I get home. Hey Prowler, could it be that I've made a mistake and there are 21 levels in the full version and not 50? It's certainly possible - my memory may not that reliable on this. I'll check out the file later and report back.