English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 23 August 2006, 14:38   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

OS3.5 Icons

Is there a way to include support for OS3.5 and PNG icons in CWB?
Old 23 August 2006, 14:47   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Is there a way to include support for OS3.5 and PNG icons in CWB?
OS3.5 Icons uses the Amiga OS3.5 icon.library, so i guess this is impossible. And of course you can't use the png icons with the full 24 or 32bit colours on your CWB. When it's possible only with a huge slowdown. Thomas probably knows more.
Old 23 August 2006, 15:53   #3
thomas

If you own an OS 3.5 or OS 3.9 CD, you can simply copy icon.library from it into the libs directory of ClassicWB, then OS3.5 icons will be available at once (after a reboot).

For PNG icon support you have to install the PowerIcons program. PowerIcons needs AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 and a graphics card screen mode with at least 16 bits depth. And a very fast CPU.
Old 23 August 2006, 16:03   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

http://www.aminet.net/package.php?pa...PowerIcons.lha
Old 11 September 2006, 14:42   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I copied icon.library from OS3.9 and I still can't see os3.5 icons.

Does it have to be os3.5 icon.library?
Old 11 September 2006, 15:05   #6
thomas

Tried it myself. You also have to copy workbench.library and SetPatch from the CD.
Old 21 September 2006, 01:31   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I copied

icon.library
workbench.library

from OS3.9 libs to ClassicWB libs folder.

Also I copied SetPatch from os3.9 C folder to C folder in ClassicWB.

And still I can't see the icons.

I must have been doing something wrong...
Old 21 September 2006, 01:57   #8
Frog

ClassicWB use Scalos and Scalos use his own libs... libs/iconobject.library ; classes/datatypes/amigaiconobject, newiconobject, glowiconobject, pngiconobject.

Perhaps you need to update to latest Scalos which handle os3.5 icon support under os3.0+ system

Anyway i'm a bit surprise that you only need to copy icon.library, workbench.library and setpatch from os3.9 into your old system to handle os3.5+ icon.
I though workbench.library from os3.9 make some call to os3.9 romupdate ?
Old 21 September 2006, 13:25   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Bloodwych,
Any chence new scalos being included in new P96 version of CWB?

Thanks Frog.

Is there any way to include OS3.5 icons with scallos without messing with reinstall of scallos?
Old 21 September 2006, 15:57   #10
Frog

Perhpas you should try to update Scalos manually ?
Do a backup of each old file you need to update, replace with new files and then see if it works... not a clean solution but you'll see if it work.

Or wait Mr Bloodwych to update his ClassicWB.
Old 22 September 2006, 14:56   #11
Bloodwych

Hi Anubis! Thanks for your dedicated ClassicWB usage!

Yeah, I get loads of messages about adding PNG icon support because there are many cool game icons in this format.

Of course the performance on a real Amiga would be quite poor unless you've got some decent hardware, so I haven't really seen the need to add support as newicons covers the colour limitations of normal A1200 setups with acceptable performance.

As you already know, ClassicWB is meant to be for real native Amiga's and adding a feature just for Picasso setups is not what these packs are aimed at (that's OS3.9 Amikitt/AIAB/AmigaSYS territory).

The latest Scalos is also still beta, which is why I've not fancied going to the trouble of updating as I don't know if it has any compatibility issues or serious bugs. The current non-beta release has been thoroughly tested during my "loads of free time" days so I'm confident in it's stability.

As you’ve probably noticed, I update the ClassicWB packs yearly, usually around xmas I'll look into adding this when that time once again comes around, but at the moment I'm just so busy!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 22 September 2006 at 15:10.
Old 22 September 2006, 15:50   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'll try my hardest to think of any additions it's missing (as I use it all the time) but to be honest I might have my work cut out! I thought icons were a problem but then I just started creating my own using image2icon (or picticon whatever it's called). I never knew it was so simple!

Note: Every future whdload installed game has a decent (IMO) icon, I've replaced all the hammer/tool icons, the joystick icons and any icons which show up as dots on my ClassicWB
Old 22 September 2006, 16:32   #13
Frog

@Killergorilla : just to remember you that my Pygmicons collection (icon for demos/games) in newicon and glowicon is still available on Abime.net http://www.abime.net/?go=download#icons
Old 22 September 2006, 16:59   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Thanks for the reminder I have the exoticons but always forget about these guys. Luckily most of the games have an icon

My plans for the project are steadily progressing, I promise to post something soon enough
Old 24 September 2006, 19:38   #15
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Tried it myself. You also have to copy workbench.library and SetPatch from the CD.
Thomas,
can you see OS3.5 icons on your ClassicWB setup?

What else did you do?

@KG - main reason I like to see some of os 3.5 icons is that some ol' installs from your packs had them and some WHDLoad don't have new icons but multiple os 3.5 icons.

If your new packs will have all new icons, then I will not need os3.5 icons in CWB.

@Bloodwych - reason I like your setup and prefer it over other setups (I have cloanto's AF, AIAB, Ami* and other setups, as well my own setups and copies of Paul's instruction setups) is that works the best and require least changes to have it completely customized.

I did saw couple oportunities as os3.5 icons and whdload.prefs, and will inform you of any other ideas I might get as well.

I know you're main idea was to get something for real amiga, but trust me, your setup is the best for WinUAE users. (and I will continue to suggest people to try it )
Old 17 September 2007, 15:37   #16
Bloodwych

Did you get this sorted?

I've posted a sticky in the forum and added links to the FAQ and tips sections, as loads of people keep requesting Glow/OS3.5+ icon support!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32153

The file you missed copying over was newicon.library. Please note that this doesn't include PNG icons, which as you've already mentioned above, are another format once again.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 17 September 2007 at 16:25.
Old 17 September 2007, 22:16   #17
Bloodwych

After some more tests, you also need workbench.library (as mentioned by Thomas) from the OS3.5+ install and WBCtrl from Aminet if you want to move the icons to FASTRAM. FBlit is already installed in the ClassicWB.

I'll update the instructions linked above.
Old 23 September 2007, 12:05   #18
Bloodwych

Ok, I got a little ahead of myself here.

Unfortunately, Scalos 1.2D is not compatible with the newer NewIcon library that's required to display OS3.5+ icons.

It appears to work fine, but if you change tooltypes in Scalos icons corrupt. A major problem. It happens with a full OS3.9 install too and I'm not willing to use the beta Scalos programs as they have their own set of issues.

I've not found a solution to this and until one surfaces, OS3.5+ support in the ClassicWB is not possible.