English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 September 2016, 19:11   #41
Jay dg

Thanks Minuous! The new version installation works flawless.

I think the BB3&4 pack is excellent. You can just take the stuff you want if you don't want to install everything.
Old 07 September 2016, 22:53   #42
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Try opening and saving the SYS:Prefs/Fonts settings. Reboot and see if the problem went away. There is a known but harmless bug in the new workbench.library which this may avoid. You could also try opening and saving the SYS:Prefs/Palette settings. Reboot and see if the problem went away.
this seems to work while the session is active. but if i reboot, the problem is the same again.
so do i have to do this all over again every reboot? or is there any more permanent solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
OK, V1.24 has been released, it is available from http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/#others
thx, now everything seems to work. no errors, no guru so far. is netprinter gone for good?
was netprinter part of the original os or the first two boingbags at all? i can't remember.

Quote:
All the bugs reported in this thread should now be fixed. If you have a SYS:L/CrossDOSFileSystem/ directory, it may be necessary to delete it (and its contents) before installing.
sry, i totally overlooked that! so i didn't delete CrossDOSFileSystem/.
do i have to expect some kind of problems because i didn't delete it?

Quote:
@honx: OpenURL isn't actually part of any version of BB3&4.
well, then i must have got it from some where else. something i installed in the past, i guess...
the important thing is: no error and no guru this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The diff command is what you're looking for. It's normally part of SDKs and the likes, but there are also a couple of versions on Aminet if you don't have one already: FDiff and diff10 both look like likely candidates, but I haven't tried either.

Or, simply open two Ed windows, Notepad windows or whatever and open both files side-by-side for a visual comparison.
thanks, fdiff helped alot! is there some good editor for displaying line numbers out there?
while editing Startup-sequence and user-startup i noticed, that editpad doesn't show line numbers.

btw., i had to leave some of my custom entries in Startup-sequence rather than moving them to user-startup.
reason therefor is the loading order of some programs. visualprefs for example wants to be loaded before iprefs.

only one thing left:
after installing boingbags 3&4 mousewheel for scrolling doesn't seem to work anymore.
how can i fix that issue and get back scrolling feature? because i would miss it badly.

Last edited by honx; 07 September 2016 at 23:05.
Old 07 September 2016, 23:30   #43
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
this seems to work while the session is active. but if i reboot, the problem is the same again. so do i have to do this all over again every reboot? or is there any more permanent solution?
My pink color problem on Workbench was fixed permanently by saving SYS:Prefs/Fonts once. I reported the problem to Gulliver who posted the bug and workaround at the following link.

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Abugs.htm

I am using real hardware. I believe some other users had the same problem though. I wonder if there is some problem with your ENVARC: prefs not working right or some conflict or settings with visualprefs which keeps the prefs from being loaded correctly. I do not use visualprefs.

Quote:
thanks, fdiff helped alot! is there some good editor for displaying line numbers out there? while editing Startup-sequence and user-startup i noticed, that editpad doesn't show line numbers.
I use CED which can display line numbers and is very fast to scroll to the correct line. Good editors should have an option to display line numbers.

Quote:
btw., i had to leave some of my custom entries in Startup-sequence rather than moving them to user-startup. reason therefor is the loading order of some programs. visualprefs for example wants to be loaded before iprefs.
Yes, there are some patches/hacks which need to be done in a particular order and/or installed early. It is a good idea to move what is possible to S:User-Startup and the WBStartup drawer though. This will give less problems and is easier to fix problems.

Quote:
only one thing left:
after installing boingbags 3&4 mousewheel for scrolling doesn't seem to work anymore. how can i fix that issue and get back scrolling feature? i would miss it badly.
Are you using FreeWheel or does UAE support mouse scrolling without?
Old 08 September 2016, 00:00   #44
honx

Quote:
My pink color problem on Workbench was fixed permanently by saving SYS:Prefs/Fonts once. I reported the problem to Gulliver who posted the bug and workaround at the following link.

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Abugs.htm
saving seems to do the trick, thx!

Quote:
I use CED which can display line numbers and is very fast to scroll to the correct line. Good editors should have an option to display line numbers.
do you mean cygnus ed? i have version 4.2 lyring around. where can i activate displaying line numbers?

Quote:
Yes, there are some patches/hacks which need to be done in a particular order and/or installed early. It is a good idea to move what is possible to S:User-Startup and the WBStartup drawer though. This will give less problems and is easier to fix problems.
i already moved everything which didn't mention a particular load order in its docs. thx for the advice.

Quote:
Are you using FreeWheel or does UAE support mouse scrolling without
to be honest, i'm not sure. in february 2014 i set up this os3.9 environment in the first place.
then i took a break from amiga emulation, which took 2.5 years, so i can't remember.

//edit: i did not use freewheel. this i installed today and i found no traces of it on my hdf.
so there must have something else been installed on hdf which supported mouse wheel.
well, freewheel does work occasionally, but not everywhere. i also installed muiwheel.
this tool was mentioned in freewheel docs.

Last edited by honx; 08 September 2016 at 00:49.
Old 08 September 2016, 13:38   #45
honx

today i added another hdf to the system and formatted it.
this new dh2 has this ghostly transparent look. how can i make it solid?
//edit: nevermind, a reboot did the trick.
Old 08 September 2016, 16:42   #46
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>is netprinter gone for good?

That's the intention, unless I or someone else get around to writing a suitable replacement for its prefs program.

>where can i activate displaying line numbers?

They are shown in the titlebar of each document window.

What program (preferably part of AmigaOS) is no longer working with the wheel? It is still working fine here, nothing in BB3&4 should affect it. (I presume WinUAE must have built-in NewMouse emulation, as I'm not running NewMouse, FreeWheel, MUIWheel, etc.)
Old 08 September 2016, 18:20   #47
honx

in editpad mousescroll doesnt't work. in amigawriter it doesn't work properly.
mousescroll not working seems to affect mainly reaction based apps, i guess.

i want to come back to a question i asked earlier which wasn't noticed, i guess:
Quote:
sry, i totally overlooked that! so i didn't delete CrossDOSFileSystem/.
do i have to expect some kind of problems because i didn't delete it?
Old 08 September 2016, 18:31   #48
matthey
Banned

Quote:
do you mean cygnus ed? i have version 4.2 lying around. where can i activate displaying line numbers?
Yes, CED=CygnusEd. Line numbers are displayed for me (CED 5.60) by default in the status line at the top. There are settings in the menu View->Status Line for the status line but I see no way to turn off line and col info.

Quote:
//edit: i did not use freewheel. this i installed today and i found no traces of it on my hdf. so there must have something else been installed on hdf which supported mouse wheel. well, freewheel does work occasionally, but not everywhere. i also installed muiwheel. this tool was mentioned in freewheel docs.
You may want to check your UAE settings and/or upgrade to the newest version of UAE if you have not since your return to the Amiga. I use FreeWheel here with a Cocolino on real hardware and I can use the mouse wheel for most scrolling. I would expect UAE to be capable of providing the equivalent of the Cocolino.driver. There is a setting to make FreeWheel work with MUI so muiwheel is probably unnecessary. FreeWheel is in my WBStartup. The newest version is on Aminet.

http://aminet.net/util/mouse/FreeWheel.lha
Old 08 September 2016, 18:57   #49
honx

Quote:
Yes, CED=CygnusEd. Line numbers are displayed for me (CED 5.60) by default in the status line at the top. There are settings in the menu View->Status Line for the status line but I see no way to turn off line and col info.
perhaps in v4.2 this feature isn't implemented yet.
because i can't find it. perhaps i'm simply blind...
well, let's see if i get v5.60 from somewhere...

Quote:
You may want to check your UAE settings and/or upgrade to the newest version of UAE if you have not since your return to the Amiga. I use FreeWheel here with a Cocolino on real hardware and I can use the mouse wheel for most scrolling. I would expect UAE to be capable of providing the equivalent of the Cocolino.driver. There is a setting to make FreeWheel work with MUI so muiwheel is probably unnecessary. FreeWheel is in my WBStartup. The newest version is on Aminet.

http://aminet.net/util/mouse/FreeWheel.lha
i have already v3.3.0, this is the latest stable release of winuae.
i'll have to see if i can find these settings somewhere in winuae.
i installed freewheel v2.2.2 (which you suggested) today night.
as mentioned earlier, mainly in reaction based apps no scrolling.
Old 08 September 2016, 19:11   #50
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
perhaps in v4.2 this feature isn't implemented yet.
because i can't find it. perhaps i'm simply blind...
Not in front of a computer ATM but it's definietly there under the View menu

...I took a look in v4.2 earlier today because that's the version I use ;-)
Old 08 September 2016, 19:31   #51
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I don't think EditPad has any built-in wheel support, I just tried also with only BB2 and the wheel does nothing. (texteditor.gadget normally ignores the wheel, my applications listen for eg. NM_WHEELUP message and then scroll the texteditor programmatically.) Are you sure that when moving things from startup-sequence to user-startup you didn't forget to re-add some wheel-related program?

CrossDOS won't work because the file will be in the wrong location, other than that you should not have any problems. (The installer copying a file onto an identically named directory just puts the file into that directory, whereas V1.23 was failing to make a directory because of the identically named file, which was causing the copy process to abort.)
Old 08 September 2016, 19:47   #52
honx

as far i can see in Startup-sequence.old, there was nothing mousewheel related in it.
i just encountered another bug: say utility doesnt open both windows.
only the upper one which contains information about version and usage.
the second window (which is meant for text input) is missing/not shown.
how can i fix that?
Old 09 September 2016, 05:19   #53
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>say utility doesnt open both windows.

SayV43 is really a CLI program. I am thinking of either moving it to C: or removing it, and replacing the one in Utilities/ with the Commodore version.

>how can i fix that?

You could replace it with the Commodore version (from eg. OS2.04).

Last edited by Minuous; 14 September 2016 at 03:12.
Old 13 September 2016, 20:58   #54
honx

this thread should be renamed to "problems/issues with bb3/4".
can it be possible that bb3/4 messed up datatypes?
can't open .png/.gif/.tif, won't expect anything else on .iff files.
haven't tested iff, because i don't have .iff files lying around.
Old 15 September 2016, 06:32   #55
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There are some IFF ILBMs in OS3.9. Eg. try this:

MultiView SYS:Utilities/AMPlifier/Skins/OS3.9/main.iff

GIF files are opening fine here, BB3&4 doesn't modify the existing OS3.9 GIF datatype at all.

TIFF files have never been supported. There are of course some third-party TIFF datatypes on Aminet, eg. http://aminet.net/util/dtype/TIFFDT.lha if you need support for them.

There is a bug in BB3&4 1.24 (and several previous versions) preventing the PNG datatype from being installed. (Files4/Classes/Datatypes directory needs to exist and Files4/Classes/PNG#? need to be moved into it, and then the install script re-run.) This has been fixed for the forthcoming V1.25.

Last edited by Minuous; 15 September 2016 at 06:47.
Old 15 September 2016, 19:17   #56
honx

where can if find this files4 folder? and what about updating when 1.25 is there?
any changes to Startup-sequence compared to 1.25 which i need to edit into it?
and .iff files seem to work. multiview opened main.iff without prompting.
Old 16 September 2016, 05:05   #57
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

V1.25 has been released and is available from http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/#others

PNG datatype issue has been fixed, various other components have been upgraded.

Last edited by Minuous; 16 September 2016 at 06:32.
Old 16 September 2016, 20:13   #58
honx

i installed v1.25 but still get this "unknown data type" message if i doubleclick on .gif or .png,
so, ether seems to be no fix for me...
Old 17 September 2016, 07:27   #59
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It is working here...The most likely cause of that error message is that the datatypes are not present.

Do you have these files?:

SYS:Classes/Datatypes/gif.datatype (V44.4, 8/8/99, 7164 bytes)
SYS:Classes/Datatypes/png.datatype (V44.6, 9/9/01, 44988 bytes)
SYS:Devs/Datatypes/GIF (88 bytes)
SYS:Devs/Datatypes/PNG (92 bytes)
Old 17 September 2016, 10:06   #60
honx

SYS:Classes/Datatypes/gif.datatype - available, v44.4, Aug. 8 1999, 10:22:45, 7164 bytes
SYS:Classes/Datatypes/png.datatype - available, v44.6, Sept. 9 2001, 21:27:56, 45580 bytes
SYS:Devs/Datatypes/GIF - v(n/a), Aug. 8 1999, 10:22:46, 88 bytes
the following i already overwrote with one from aminet while trying getting this to work...
SYS:Devs/Datatypes/PNG - v(n/a), July 19 2011, 15:42:26, 92 bytes

should i upload my hardfile anywhere for you to test?
perhaps can someone find a problem which i can't find...