English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 March 2011, 21:55   #1
Vollldo

Floppies with a '8' when formatted wit X-Copy

Hello,

I have several NEVER USED floppies that seem to have '8' errors on one or several tracks when i format then for the first time in X-Copy vith the Verify 'V' option.

So two questions :

1) What is the precise meaning of this error ?
2) Do i have to trash them or is there a way to correct the concerned tracks ?

Thanks in advance .

Old 12 March 2011, 22:01   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20319
Old 13 March 2011, 17:05   #3
Vollldo

Ok '8' is verify error but can it be corrected or do i have to trash these disks ??

Old 13 March 2011, 17:18   #4
Hewitson

Throw them in the bin, they're stuffed.
Old 13 March 2011, 18:05   #5
Vollldo

Really ???

Old 13 March 2011, 18:30   #6
orange

you could try them in different drive, or clean drive heads first.
if you insist, there is util for marking bad blocks but its unusable for NDOS diskettes.

its not so unusual to get verify errors on first format. try several cycles. if you want to use them for games, try copying for several times. slide the cover and inspect for visible physical damage, if so use the bin..

diskettes are often unreliable.
the game might work but maybe you can't finish it due to verify errors.
then again, most of those old games are so hard, one can't complete them anyway.
Old 13 March 2011, 22:05   #7
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
I have several NEVER USED floppies
Never used but for how many years packed away? Humidity and moisture are the enemies during the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
then again, most of those old games are so hard, one can't complete them anyway.
/offtopic on/ I'm sorry Sir, but that is rather subjective /offtopic off/
Old 14 March 2011, 14:37   #8
Vollldo

xpect these disks are all new, bougth last week : verbatim 100% certified error-free but it is not the truth apparently.

I am angry because the last time i bougth 400 Imation floppies and i noticed only 3 or 4 tracks (ONLY !!) with the '8' error !! Imation floppies are the most reliable floppies on earth it seems !

And i would add that i am very carefull with my floppies (no humidity and moisture), about 70% of my old amiga disks were still perfectly working (after 20 years^^) but i started to do a new collection with fresh new disks.

They are no visible damages, and i don't trust to try several cycles (i already experimented with this : not reliable at all).

So so so, only direction is the bin !?

Old 14 March 2011, 18:33   #9
orange

i would use several cycles if its the games. just write it with something that doesn't need changing. btw, those are DD diskettes, not HD?

there are some 'de-magnitizer' thingies that people use for tools like screwdrivers and stuff. you could also play with some strong magnets like those in speakers.
(if you're sure there are no visible defects) or perhaps just try them in PC HD drive, format them as 720Kb.

400 floppies? you remind me a bit of those people having huge collections of vinyl records
I used to like diskettes too, but they take a lot more space than hdd collection of whdload. ofc, originals are another thing.

anyway, try not to lose nerves, blank diskettes (even DD) are not really valuable nowadays
Old 14 March 2011, 19:59   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yep if they give you verify errors best thing for them is the bin
oh they may work for a bit if you successfully write to em but it won`t last and will inevitably lead to frustration and loss of data

so best thing to do is start with a floppy that formats without any errors, this gives you the best chance for error free usage
Old 14 March 2011, 20:34   #11
Vollldo

In fact i already transfered 700 floppies . I love many games on amiga and i am curious to discover a new game i never had on the real machine. And it is also great moment with friends, u pick a game and spend funny time^^. Ok bin so lol or maybe get pay back he he! I intend to open a web page with all my collection when all will be finished (soon). I take pleasure to discover a new cracktro too, a new game, and i prefer the floppies than games on hd in fact.

Old 16 March 2011, 10:43   #12
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I remember those days to when you put a new floppy disk in the drive and did`t know what u would get on the screen, happy days
Old 18 March 2011, 19:41   #13
Vollldo

Yes cosmicfrog, and it is still nice to have this feeling on Amiga, it is lost with nowodays games...