English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 December 2010, 18:03   #21
daxb

I wonder that thomas hasn`t noticed the using of HDToolbox and HDInstTools at the "same" time. Maybe I`ve skiped that.
Old 20 December 2010, 18:19   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I use first HdToolBox because HDinstTools doesn't let you change the dostype, and I use HdinstTools later because HDToolBox doesn't let you make big partitions well.
Old 20 December 2010, 20:19   #23
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, but that was without having a serialized partition to boot from. I need to have it so I can use PFSformat without "Invalid copy" messages. I can't take a fresh HD and make the PFS3 partitions because then I can't format them.
I am not sure what you mean by a serialized partition. The serial number is stored in the program code of PFS3/ds, not on a partition. After installation either PFS3 works or it doesn't. This cannot be changed by converting a partition to another file system.

The only problem I can think of is with HDToolbox: it does not care about the MaxTransfer issue of scsi.device. So if the entire partition table with RDB, all partitions and all file system code added is bigger than 128 KB, HDToolbox will corrupt it (or more precise, scsi.device will corrupt it because HDToolbox tries to save everything with one big write command).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I wonder that thomas hasn`t noticed the using of HDToolbox and HDInstTools at the "same" time. Maybe I`ve skiped that.
It shouldn't matter which program is used. HDInstTools is the one which is incompatible to all other programs. You notice this at once because it does not show any partitions on a drive which was initialized with another program.

So if you are happy with HDInstTools, it's no problem to switch to another program. Switching back to HDInstTools might be more problematic. But if it sees all partitions, then you are fine.

Quote:
I use first HdToolBox because HDinstTools doesn't let you change the dostype
HDInstTools lets you change the dostype in the same manner as HDToolbox does. The only difference is that it does not require you to enter some cryptic hex codes but allows you to enter ASCII text like PFS\3.
Old 20 December 2010, 20:50   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I am not sure what you mean by a serialized partition. The serial number is stored in the program code of PFS3/ds, not on a partition. After installation either PFS3 works or it doesn't. This cannot be changed by converting a partition to another file system.
Ah, ok. I read at the installation instructions some about it that made me think that, but it isn't the partition, it's the file system:
"In the first phase, all the required files are copied on your HDD by the installer script. The actual filesystem isn't usable direcly from CD, as it needs to be serialized with your name and serial number first. What this means, is you MUST use the installer script to get started."

But what you say to use it in another HDD is that I only need the PFSformat and PFS3ds files from the partition where I've installed the script? Only that? I thought I was needing the entire partition, you know? So then it's like installing SFS in a HDD, you only need those files.
EDIT: I should have read better:
Quote:
Just copy the pfs3ds file to a floppy disk before you start and use it for initial partitioning of the new HDD.
EDIT: And you said it a couple of times, but I was with the idea of a entire partition needed to use the PFSformat...

Quote:
HDInstTools lets you change the dostype in the same manner as HDToolbox does. The only difference is that it does not require you to enter some cryptic hex codes but allows you to enter ASCII text like PFS\3.
Ok, I didn't know. I knowed the history but on the contrary, for a great explanation you gave about it:
Quote:
0x = hexadecimal numbers follow
43 = ASCII code for C
44 = ASCII code for D
46 = ASCII code for F
4F = ASCII code for O
50 = ASCII code for P
53 = ASCII code for S
So, in Hdinsttools it can seem you can't change the numbers, but in fact it does just for the name of the file system. The only dude about HDToolBox is about the partition sizes in large HDs. I believe if you use it you will have to use Fixhdsize always, and with HDInsttools it seems you haven't.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 December 2010 at 23:59.
Old 20 December 2010, 22:09   #25
thomas

Quote:
Ah, ok. I read at the installation instructions some about it that made me think that, but it isn't the partition, it's the file system:
"In the first phase, all the required files are copied on your HDD by the installer script. The actual filesystem isn't usable direcly from CD, as it needs to be serialized with your name and serial number first. What this means, is you MUST use the installer script to get started."
That's what I meant. The installation script creates a personalized version of the PFS3 and PFS3ds programs in the L directory of your boot partition. These personalized versions can be copied to where you want and used from there without reinstalling.

Quote:
But what you say to use it in another HDD is that I only need the PFSformat and PFS3ds files from the partition where I've installed the script? Only that?
Yes, only that. You don't even need pfsformat. The only difference between pfsformat and normal format is that pfsformat allows you to set file name size and deldir size which are specific to PFS. But if I look above, you didn't use these options anyway, so you could as well use format from the Workbench menu or DOS format from HDInstTools.

Quote:
The only dude about HDToolBox is about the partition sizes in large HDs. I believe if you use it you will have to use Fixhdsize always, and with HDInsttools it seems you haven't.
HDToolbox does not show the right sizes for partition bigger than 4GB. But it works correctly nevertheless.

FixHDDSize is for a different problem. If you connect the HDD to your real Amiga (or to IDE0 in WinUAE) and then initialize it using the original Kickstart scsi.device, it only sees 8GB of it. Once a patch for scsi.device is applied, the rest of the HDD can be accessed, but HDToolbox (and I think also HDInsttools) still allows you to partition only 8GB. FixHDDSize corrects this limit to the real size of the HDD.
Old 20 December 2010, 22:17   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thank you very much for so great explanations. I had read and read and coudn't find a thread with so good explanations like this of how to install PFS3. I think people will use it

EDIT: Yes, I used the PFS3 files alone and you don't need anything else.
EDIT: I was using mask 0xfffffffc, but i've read this should be the values:
Mask : 0x7FFFFFFE
MaxTransfer : 0x0001FE00
Pfs3ds : 0x50445303

EDIT: This is a single post I've done with a guide to install PFS3: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831346&postcount=14

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 July 2012 at 12:01.