English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 March 2009, 18:06   #21
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Sorry to bump this thread... But my miggy seems totally dead
Dreaded black screen all the time.

Any idea?

I guess I'll have to start searching for a 1200... (even if they're SO rare here)

EDIT: Bought a 1200

Last edited by jbenam; 29 March 2009 at 19:46.
Old 05 August 2009, 01:35   #22
Photon

jbenam, great Now you can format a CF in WinUAE and add WHDload and ClassicWB and all that stuff, and you will have a great time

Strange, I have 7 Amigas of different models here and none of them have problems with corrosion or leaking... either I store them where they don't get these problems or I'm lucky, please don't hate me
Old 05 August 2009, 01:49   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

my deepest appologies for missing this thread...

but now that I have foudn it to be honest...I have been chuckling and now walking around the house like a Sheriff LOL

to be fair, there are a lot on here that know a lot more than I and I am truely humbled by Thomas, Stedy, rkauer to name just a few.... theres an absolutle wealth of knowledge from a lot of people here that REALLY know their stuff, I just hang around and take all the credit.... like I say.... I just bring good looks to the party

@jbenam

you certainly have a sickly A600 there, from what you describe I believe it to be a ROM failure or Chip failure... however lets not rule out the possiblity of a power failure.

if theres not enough on the +5 or +/-12 (ie. it peaks and the drops in voltage this can effect the Amiga in almost Random ways)

I would suggest replacing the ROM, (I have a 2.05 here thats yours for postage, its not all that and prolly wont run a HDD but it will allow you to see if it fires up)

I would seriously inspecting the 2 chips of CHIP ram just beneath the Floppy Drive to see if there is any grounding on the addressing or controll lines from the floppy or foriegn material.

hows the A1200 comming along?
Old 05 August 2009, 03:48   #24
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Another hint is removing the RAM expansion board. Bad memory chips can cause a lot of errors, too.

But I agree with Zetr0, first boot the Amiga and measure the voltage levels, specially the +5V rail (an easy spot is the floppy drive power connector). Read it with the Amiga ON.
Old 05 August 2009, 12:22   #25
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
if theres not enough on the +5 or +/-12 (ie. it peaks and the drops in voltage this can effect the Amiga in almost Random ways)

I would suggest replacing the ROM, (I have a 2.05 here thats yours for postage, its not all that and prolly wont run a HDD but it will allow you to see if it fires up)

I would seriously inspecting the 2 chips of CHIP ram just beneath the Floppy Drive to see if there is any grounding on the addressing or controll lines from the floppy or foriegn material.

hows the A1200 comming along?
My ROM was fine, as I've got a new A600 motherboard some weeks ago from eBay (an A300 one! ) and the culprit was the PSU. It also did mad things on my A1200 (mainly serial problems). When I opened it up, I noticed lifted traces everywhere and the MOSFET was almost entirely lifted up
Now I've stored up the old motherboard, mainly for affective reasons. I might try to repair it in the future when I get some conductive paint (and a hot air station ), as almost all the traces under the reset timer went awry :/ And by the way, the composite would probably still not work Not that I want composite anymore, now (thanks to my A1200) I've perfectly understood why you called it composhite, Zetr0
I also remember something was wrong with the Chip RAM, as the yellow screen started appearing up when I pressed it (before that it was just a black screen), so I guess it's REALLY messed up in multiple ways

As for the A1200, it's shaping up nicely. I haven't been able to find 74F74s to repair my Apollo 1240 locally (I thought I could buy them from Farnell, but I can't make an order as a private ) and the only other way would be Digikey, which ships from USA and has high shipping costs :/ At least, it has a lot of nice things Now it currently has a Hawk 8MB Expansion in it, which is enough to run 3.5 nicely Obviously there's a CF as HD I'm also getting another PSU (a A500 35W one) as the one I'm currently using is a lightweight black A1200 PSU, which I guess isn't good enough for expanded A1200s :P

I'm probably gonna get another CF+44pin adapter for my A300 (hehe) and put Workbench 2.1 on it

Thanks everyone again for all the help
Old 20 September 2010, 23:03   #26
bullet_proof

Return of The Amiga 600 - Oh oh problems on the Horizon

Hello 1st of all, to all!

My Mig600 has been off dutie for quite a few years.(last time was 5 years ago ). Since i am now on vacation i had time to power on the beast again. Its been a 48H marathon test.
The system has a AMIGA 6001 Genlock and a Apollo 020 with 8MB Ram.
The original FDD is dead so i managed do modd a Samsung FDD with fair result.
So here it is the system running all nice and smoothly initially without all the extra piece of hardware, then as time went by, they were added one at a time.

Now here is where things got a little off hand.
Several colour errors... from green to red, to grey to white,, all random. I pull off again the expansions one at a time ( i even manage to set a cooler over the Appolo to dissipate heat.) sometimes keyboard work partially others went just fine.

Decided to remove the motherboard and shower it with a product call lubrilimp its used to clean electronic components.. all the other components went to have a cold shower two.

At the moment they all drying.

Im suspicious about the powersupply or even the ROM. If it was the cpu the hole thing would go black right?

The aspect of the components is ok.. nothing visible out of normal present.

Any hits ...please do reply.

Thanks

Old 21 September 2010, 00:03   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I used to have a loose trap door Chip RAM expansion and that would cause YELLOW and sometimes GREEN screens.

Only ever had a RED screen on an A2000 with Kickstart 2.04 and an A2620 Accelerator which needed a ROM upgrade.

http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Amiga_b...r_code_colours

Try pushing home all the chips & connectors?
Old 21 September 2010, 11:47   #28
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I used to have a loose trap door Chip RAM expansion and that would cause YELLOW and sometimes GREEN screens.

Only ever had a RED screen on an A2000 with Kickstart 2.04 and an A2620 Accelerator which needed a ROM upgrade.

http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Amiga_b...r_code_colours

Try pushing home all the chips & connectors?
I had an A500 expansion with the same problem, if you take a pair of needlenose pliers and bend all of the top or bottom pins by about 1 degree then it all connects like new again.
Old 19 March 2011, 17:40   #29
duga

I have a A600 with either green or yellow screen. Sometimes the Caps Lock stays lit, sometimes not. The Power led flashes every time. I've tried different PSU:s. I have checked the motherboard on both sides, can't see anything burned or leaked.
Old 19 March 2011, 17:57   #30
Cosmos
Banned

Maybe U16 and/or U17...
Old 20 March 2011, 01:27   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
You got a ram expansion?

This can cause all kinds of errors codes, if contacts are dirty.
Old 20 March 2011, 14:27   #32
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
You got a ram expansion?

This can cause all kinds of errors codes, if contacts are dirty.
No, it's a clean system. Bought it as dead.
Old 20 March 2011, 15:12   #33
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I have a A600 with either green or yellow screen. Sometimes the Caps Lock stays lit, sometimes not. The Power led flashes every time. I've tried different PSU:s. I have checked the motherboard on both sides, can't see anything burned or leaked.
Check the tracks under the KS socket, sometimes people will pry the chips out with a screwdriver or other sharp tools and break the traces, I have seen this problem twice now.
Old 20 March 2011, 15:39   #34
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
No, it's a clean system. Bought it as dead.
Little confusing.

What does your reply mean?
You have no ram expansion?
Old 20 March 2011, 22:10   #35
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Little confusing.

What does your reply mean?
You have no ram expansion?
I have no ram expansion.

The A600 was dead when I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Check the tracks under the KS socket, sometimes people will pry the chips out with a screwdriver or other sharp tools and break the traces, I have seen this problem twice now.
I'll check that, but it's a 37.350 KS in a A600HD chassi so it has problably never been removed since manufacturing.

Last edited by TCD; 20 March 2011 at 22:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.