English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 May 2019, 13:26   #2161
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Given that Amiga multitasks by default, why do most Amiga programs completely halt command lines unless executed with a 'RUN' command?
Old 11 May 2019, 13:36   #2162
NLS
Ancient User

Why is one related to the other?
The "process" opened by the specific window is used by the command.
For a program to open a new process is the dev's choice (and not something enforced by Commodore guidelines IIRC).
As you already said using "run" is enough, or opening a new shell before running something in the first.

A multi-tasking OS doesn't mean the shell is multi-tasking. You can have many, or explicitly send commands to other process. It also has to do with the I/O. If a command needs to "capture" the I/O (without opening a window), it is much cleaner to just use own shell's I/O.
Linux is multi-tasking and is the same. Many commands take over the shell and you need to explicitly push them in the background.
Old 11 May 2019, 13:42   #2163
daxb

It depends, I think. If you want serialisation or parallelisation. In scripts for example normally you want to wait for a command finished or get the result. If you are in the Shell and type commands you can choose (run or not) what you prefer.
Old 11 May 2019, 19:09   #2164
Daedalus

It's pretty reasonable for a command to halt the shell by default. After all, what good is being able to run a second command when the previous command is listing off its output? And would you want the two output streams mixed together? Or leave the second one until the first is finished? You can already enter another command while the first one is running, and it will be executed as soon as the first one is finished. So you can queue up commands without needing to write a script.
Old 11 May 2019, 23:53   #2165
jizmo
Registered Abuser

I guess I did not word my question right. The shell running multiple programs outputting text would not obviously make much sense.

I was referring to using command line to launching non-cli programs that open up in separate windows or screens: Sometimes they release the shell right after the program has opened, but more often the shell is locked until the user exits the program, effectively meaning one should always execute them using a 'RUN' command just to be on the safe side.

If the program does not use the command line, but open up in a window instead, why does it need to halt the CLI by default? And how do some programs prevent this, do they send some exit flag to the shell after they've started up?

Last edited by jizmo; 11 May 2019 at 23:58.
Old 11 May 2019, 23:58   #2166
MartinW

It isn't really halting anything. The shell starts a second process which is spawned by the process in which the shell is running. That's busy until such time as the GUI based software has finished so the shell appears to be locked. It's not really, it just hasn't finished the task you asked it to do. Hence, if you "run" the new process you're detaching from the original process.

I'm probably not explaining myself well
Old 12 May 2019, 00:27   #2167
Daedalus

Yeah, that's the default because, at the time of launching, the Shell doesn't know whether it's a program that needs to output text to the Shell window or not. You're right, of course, that a program shouldn't need to tie up the Shell like that if it doesn't need to, but that's not a decision the Shell can make - after all, there are programs out there that have a GUI while also outputting to the console window.

It's up to the program to detach itself from the Shell, which is possible but is extra code. I guess most programmers simply aren't bothered enough to add that functionality, especially if they mainly intended their program to be run from the Workbench anyway.
Old 12 May 2019, 08:17   #2168
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Thanks for the answers – I've been always wondering why this behaviour was so random.

Sounds like it could've been fixed with some sort of file flag that tells the program to detach itself from Shell if run from there. But I guess us command line users were never a high priority for Commodore for whom CLI existed mostly to just run the scripts.

Last edited by jizmo; 12 May 2019 at 08:34.
Old 12 May 2019, 17:32   #2169
NLS
Ancient User

Well that's a bit unfair for Commodore and CLI.
It works as intended - then programmers needed to abide and didn't always.
CLI when first released was way better than the then version of MS-DOS and much closer to UNIX (sans-multi-user).
Old 12 May 2019, 20:51   #2170
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
If the program does not use the command line, but open up in a window instead, why does it need to halt the CLI by default? And how do some programs prevent this, do they send some exit flag to the shell after they've started up?
The answer is as simple as it could be: Because without taking any other action, this is how the shell and the workbench behave. A program needs to include additional logic to detach from shell. Otherwise, the program "overloads" the shell process, until it returns to the shell.

The workbench, however, detaches programs by itself - unlike the shell, which runs programs as part of its own process.
Old 12 May 2019, 20:54   #2171
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Q: What the NIL: stands for? Is it an abbreviation?
Old 12 May 2019, 21:03   #2172
kolla
Banned

Amiga questions you've always been too embarrassed to ask

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0

Amiga/TRIPOS NIL: is equivalent to unix /dev/null, a device that swallows anything you send to it.
Old 12 May 2019, 21:34   #2173
zipper

Originally from Latin. Nil = nothing, zero.
Old 13 May 2019, 16:32   #2174
NLS
Ancient User

Nil = null
Old 13 May 2019, 19:10   #2175
EugeneNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
I guess I did not word my question right. The shell running multiple programs outputting text would not obviously make much sense.

I was referring to using command line to launching non-cli programs that open up in separate windows or screens: Sometimes they release the shell right after the program has opened, but more often the shell is locked until the user exits the program, effectively meaning one should always execute them using a 'RUN' command just to be on the safe side.

It only halts that instance of the CLI, you can open additional CLI's to run other programs in those instances.
I bet the reason some gui programs let the cli you launched them from is because they installed a simple script that 'RUN's them. The default behavior is that program runs in that cli (and therefore takes it over) unless you tell it to run separate via a 'RUN' (or & in Li/Unix)
Old 13 May 2019, 19:42   #2176
EugeneNine

So my search-fu apparently is weak, is there a serial number decoder anywhere that maybe tells things like date built, etc?
Old 14 May 2019, 03:22   #2177
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
So my search-fu apparently is weak, is there a serial number decoder anywhere that maybe tells things like date built, etc?
Pretty sure there is one for most Atari systems. Thought there might be for the Amiga. Usually it was based on the week of the year and batch number for some Atari systems.

I will follow with a new question. Does anyone else's AmigaOS 4.1 FE for Classic make your CDROM sound like it is trying to turn a vinyl album into afloppy drive? It just starts to make mine scream. No other disks I have put in it does that.
Old 16 May 2019, 16:12   #2178
Estrayk

QUESTION:

I have always wondered how it is possible that the old photogenics could manipulate HAM8 images without HAM-artifacts. What kind of witchcraft was that?

Video from my real Amiga A1200:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 May 2019, 16:32   #2179
NLS
Ancient User

Is it HAM? Or is 256 color mode?

(also IIRC HAM8 produces less distinct artifacts than HAM6)
Old 16 May 2019, 23:08   #2180
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nls View Post
is it ham? Or is 256 color mode?
ham8