English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 November 2018, 14:59   #21
Heiroglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
btw. keep in mind aros builds currently mc68000 binaries. as toni said debugging first, optimizing - later. but then if so opimizing may never occur.
one of the latest things kalamatee made me commit was adding x86 isa flags to the build system and indicated m68k should receive the same. it probably should be looked into soon.
I agree with Toni on that. Fix the inefficient code first before relying on optimizing for a specific CPU.

Quote:
yes, but the developers argue that defaults should be in accordance in all platforms for better comparison. delivering a distribution on the other hand the autor can omit this one file, along with just few changes and maybe another icon set. at least something like that shouldnt prevent experienced coders to contribute.
Maybe someone (could be me, who knows) needs to keep a testable 68k distribution then because it has prevented me from contributing since I thought it was essentially a lost cause due to a default setting that no Amiga user would even know to look for.

I just grabbed a build and tested in UAE and changing those settings makes it go from unusable on a fast RTG Amiga to not that bad on a stock A1200 with an ec030 and 8MB fast ram. (it didn't boot with an 020 or ec020)

Had I seen this a few years ago I would have contributed, but nobody seemed surprised that performance was unusably slow on a real system so I moved on.

With this simple change nobody mentioned before, it suddenly seems like a viable option that can be improved and I want to get it on my A4000 to see how it runs there.

I'm not saying I will contribute code now due to time and personal issues, but that's much more of a possibility after this realization and I can at least test it now to find where I might be able to help.

I think with some work it's very possible to stop relying on the old AOS code base.
Old 01 November 2018, 15:33   #22
Korodny
Zone Friend

How did this thread turn into an AROS discussion?
Old 01 November 2018, 16:01   #23
DamienD
Banned

I was thinking that earlier but been busy... will move all AROS related posts out shortly.
Old 01 November 2018, 16:02   #24
Heiroglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I was thinking that earlier but been busy... will move all AROS related posts out shortly.
It really was related at first, sorry for my part of the derailment.
Old 01 November 2018, 16:30   #25
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post

I used AfA OS too - but when PeterK great icon.library emerged, and I couldn't use it with AfA without losing most of its features, and AfA were no longer updated, I have decided to go without AfA.
Not so, you can quietly use the new one icon.librarycon with AfA-OS (see screenshot), among other things it also allows you to see the icons perfectly OS4, PNG from Dopus4

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 November 2018 at 08:53.
Old 01 November 2018, 16:54   #26
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiroglyph View Post
I want to get it on my A4000 to see how it runs there.
AFAIK you will notice that the IDE-driver is very unstable. It seems to only work well enough on the A1200 because that is the most popular IDE-Amiga but not on the A600 and A4000. There has been some work from people loosely associated with the Apollo-team to fix the driver but it hasn't been done yet. IIRC the videos showing AROS running on a Vampire-equipped A600 required something like ten tries to boot to Workbench once because of the flaky AROS IDE driver.
Old 01 November 2018, 18:19   #27
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I like the idea of AROS, and it would probably solve all our problems with those shitty lawyer leeches holding our OS.

It's a shame though, that the 68K side of AROS is still so underdeveloped.

Good thing is, though, that everybody can contribute that might change in the future... On the contrary to where AOS is heading.
Old 01 November 2018, 18:31   #28
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
It's a shame though, that the 68K side of AROS is still so underdeveloped.
In some respects I would say more developed than OS3.1.4

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 November 2018 at 18:36.
Old 01 November 2018, 20:00   #29
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
AFAIK you will notice that the IDE-driver is very unstable.
toni has fixed a4000 ata.device (aros equivalent of scsi.device) issue a good while ago with some of my testing. i had not observed instability on neither a1200, it was working to start with, nor a4000 since then. i dont have a600 for testing. whoever uses fastata or some of the accelerators scsi controllers should not have problems anyway.

as i said kalamatee was preparing a revamped version of ata subsystem last i have heard of him few weeks ago. i still have a halfway working diff somewhere here.
Old 01 November 2018, 22:10   #30
grond

That sounds very promising!
Old 01 November 2018, 22:46   #31
wawa

Quote:
That sounds very promising!
alas we didnt have much contact to the team and none of us to my knowledge has an a600 or a 500 and a vampire. so on my part the issues with aros there are hearsay. i have been told aros boots dependably when ata-gayle debug is switched on. but without it its try and error. it reminds me a lot of a4000 issue. but it is not the same. likely though it is interrupt/timing one, that gets masked by debug.

but i have written it repeadedly also on your forum

certainly toni could tell more. but im not sure what to do now. fiddling with current implementation, or should i ask kalamatee if there is a chance to finalize what he started.
Old 02 November 2018, 01:34   #32
Warty

Can I ask a basic question about AROS? From the point of view of a 68k machine, is it "feature complete"? Can I start up from nothing, and get to some kind of workbench replacement?

I get that it needs optimization. "Premature optimization is the enemy of innovation" (as far as coding goes). But is it complete enough that starting to optimize things wouldn't be a terrible idea?
Old 02 November 2018, 02:06   #33
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
Can I ask a basic question about AROS? From the point of view of a 68k machine, is it "feature complete"? Can I start up from nothing, and get to some kind of workbench replacement?
Yes, if you use WinUAE you can install a complete AROS 68k Workbench in 2 minutes, see video:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 November 2018, 04:38   #34
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes, if you use WinUAE you can install a complete AROS 68k Workbench in 2 minutes, see video:

[ Show youtube player ]
3 minutes of moving a mouse pointer around and clicking on stuff that's too blurry to identify. Where can I get a text description of how to do it?
Old 02 November 2018, 07:04   #35
grond

Quote:
none of us to my knowledge has an a600 or a 500 and a vampire. so on my part the issues with aros there are hearsay.
I can give you my A600/Vampire if you want.
Old 02 November 2018, 08:14   #36
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
3 minutes of moving a mouse pointer around and clicking on stuff that's too blurry to identify. Where can I get a text description of how to do it?
The problem of the initial blurry of the video is given by Youtube; you can download the video in good quality with http://pasty.link/
Just attach the link video Youtube and choose the quality of the download.

For any problem on installation i am here to help you
Old 02 November 2018, 11:15   #37
wawa

Quote:
I can give you my A600/Vampire if you want.

thanks for the offer. i might come back to it and borrow it for testing. but i would like first to clarify with the developers if it would help if i had a testing setup.
the serial port is working on you a600? asking becasue i have an a4000 with broken one.
Old 02 November 2018, 11:23   #38
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
look at my third post down this page:
http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php...7&x=1&z=1p9AQ6
i posted this a thousand times also here, but do not seem to find these.
Old 02 November 2018, 11:26   #39
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
Can I ask a basic question about AROS? From the point of view of a 68k machine, is it "feature complete"?

yes you can asume so for the most part.
a number of extensions such as pci brifdges are not supported yet.
there are some things in amiga chipset that are not supported yet, but im not testing games a lot.
on the other hand it has usb, rtg, lan and a number of other stuff built in out of the box.
Old 02 November 2018, 12:22   #40
grond

Quote:
the serial port is working on you a600?
I don't know as I have never had any use for it.

Have you got a trustworthy external Amiga PSU? I would like to keep mine for my A1200 but I could give it to you anyway if you haven't got one.