Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 June 2020, 17:42   #181
Chucky

Depends HOW the core is done.. FPGA doesn't magically make it great
Old 07 June 2020, 17:54   #182
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
@rabidgerry economics of scale do not apply in Amigaland so none of these things will reach any sort of volume production, yet there are some hard costs associated with these products.
I asked StephenL (TerribleFire) once if he was planning a 040 version, but answer was a pretty clear NO.
The nice thing about TF1260 is that you don't pay for Stephens hardware development time, just the components and maybe something for the build of the cards. But components alone are pretty expensive. So a 060 card will never be super cheap, it just can't be done. But yes, you will probably be able to buy one with a CPU installed from some of the guys building it, but it may be a case of "first come, firs served". I'm speculating here.

ACA 1240/60 will probably not be cheap either.. We all know Jens needs to cover development cost. The big advantage there is that ppl can save €100 by choosing a 040 over a rev6 060 but other than that it will likely be an expensive card which also uses a custom cooling solution and build quality is usually high on these and you get a warranty.

The Warp1260 is a really neat piece of hardware. But here you sort of pay for hardware development (which you can guess was a significant effort as its not just a 060 it also has RTG, audio, USB and all these things will be stuff people will want to work more or less out of the box.) There's special software written to make all this work, and that of course was another huge effort. Then we have the components and the custom designed and built cooler. Put it all together and you see it can not be cheap.
Yeah well I wasn't expecting something at €200 Well lets put it this way, I probably would not pay more than what the warp is going for without the CPU. More than that is getting pretty insane. If I can't justify one of these up and coming accelerators cost depending of course then I'm afraid I'm going with the Vampire.
Old 07 June 2020, 18:57   #183
Chucky

well I think it is interesting how people thinks components is free.. also the knowledge of how to solder the damn thing.....
Old 07 June 2020, 19:26   #184
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I haven't seen much talk of the capabilities or specs of the ARM CPU on the board. In the long run that might make this in a much different performance class than a nice modern 060 board or any consumer grade FPGA.
A bit here actually.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102243
Old 08 June 2020, 23:36   #185
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
well I think it is interesting how people thinks components is free.. also the knowledge of how to solder the damn thing.....
Well surely it's a given that small scene builder doing this largely in their own time and using limited resources equals $$££€€

I realise these things cost. I just wish I was as smart as you guys to be able to invent these fantastic additions.

Either way money for either one of these new options is burning a hole in my pocket (i set it aside for the day they come out) and I need to get rid of it before I buy more music equipment!

That's a good video testing the testing the TF1260 btw! I like it!

Last edited by rabidgerry; 09 June 2020 at 10:16.
Old 26 June 2020, 04:49   #186
NovaCoder

[ Show youtube player ]

Still waiting for someone to try AmiQuake RTG on this baby...
Old 30 June 2020, 04:27   #187
Akiko

A beautiful and fully featured product, if the real Phase 5 was still around this is the card they would have released today, even the packaging seems to pay homage to the old Blizzard range.

I hope this card will be professionally manufactured and sold by Amiga dealers, one thing that has always annoyed me about the Vampire cards that even tho they have been around for years and enjoyed good demand the Apollo team seem to have deliberately limited production.

My hope is there will be some collaboration in the community so we can reimplement the 68060 into FPGA, if so these cards could be produced for years, and also the more affordable upcoming TF360 would benefit as well.
Old 30 June 2020, 04:52   #188
NovaCoder

Yep that's a beautiful dream
Old 30 June 2020, 13:43   #189
Matt020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
the Apollo team seem to have deliberately limited production.
It ensures the product "holds its value".

(it keeps the prices and profits up).

Clever huh.
Old 30 June 2020, 15:42   #190
roondar

There's actually only exactly one thing I don't think I like about the Warp-1260 and that is the way the Amiga audio passthrough works (assuming I understood it correctly). BTW, you can't always get what you want and I understand that, so don't read this comment as me saying it's a bad product or something like that

Everything else is very nice indeed. I'm severely tempted.
Old 30 June 2020, 16:41   #191
Chucky

well. if you do not like that method. how would it be done? you can do it internally aswell.. but there is technically no other way.
Old 30 June 2020, 16:49   #192
roondar

Quote:
well. if you do not like that method. how would it be done? you can do it internally aswell.. but there is technically no other way.
Just to be clear, it already seems I misunderstood. I watched your video and what I understood from it was that you needed to solder wires from the outputs (albeit inside the A1200) to the inputs on the card. It seems from your reply I misunderstood that.

So before I make more mistakes: can you get the audio throughput without soldering wires? Because in that case my point is basically void.

Anyway, my preferred solution would be to use the Paula audio output pins the A1200 has available on it's expansion slot according to the pinout. But... I'll grant you that no card uses them, so perhaps there's some issue with those pins I'm simply unaware of.
Old 30 June 2020, 16:51   #193
Chucky

no. you can either use the included cable that takes audio from the external RCA.. and you connect your speakers/whatever to the RCA included in the cable..

OR you do a internal hack so you do not need the cables at all.
Old 30 June 2020, 16:56   #194
wiz12

Chucky have you tested the internal method on your ReAmiga board?

Are the audio levels ok when both Paula and Warp audio are mixed together, one not higher than the other too much?
Old 30 June 2020, 16:59   #195
Chucky

no haven't tested it yet. need to find time to do it
Old 30 June 2020, 17:04   #196
wiz12

Ok, maybe sometime you can do a video and show us how it all works.
Old 30 June 2020, 17:22   #197
roondar

Quote:
no. you can either use the included cable that takes audio from the external RCA.. and you connect your speakers/whatever to the RCA included in the cable..

OR you do a internal hack so you do not need the cables at all.
Right, well - I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

I misunderstood this. And it hadn't occurred to me you could simply use an external cable to work around this issue, even though that is super logical.