English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 January 2020, 13:20   #1
Glen M

How do I setup a large hard drive using hdtoolbox from workbench 3.1

I've setup a fair few 4gb and 8gb cards before (and an 80gb drive using OS3.9) but when working with OS3.1 I've always just kept the partition size to a maximum of about 3.9gb. I generally use the PFS3 file system and am well versed in patching my scsi.device etc.

I have been told a few times that large partitions are possible using HDtoolbox included with OS3.1 and thats what I want to do today.

The main stumbling block I have is how do I tell HDtoolbox to create say a 30gb partition on a 40gb hdd? I have been advised before that its possible if I calculate and manually enter the cylinders but how do I do this? Is there a handy calculator anywhere? Obviously when you define a new drive HDtoolbox shows you the total amount of cylinders and from my googling I understand this is accurate despite the 4gb limits of the program so I think all I need to do is work out how many cylinders I need for my would be 30gb partition?

Is it as simple as for example if there was 40,000 cylinders 30,000 of them would be for the partition? and yes that's an extremely simple example!
Old 06 January 2020, 14:32   #2
Daedalus

Yep, basically that's it as far as HDToolbox is concerned. Each partition is simply a fraction of the total cylinders size. Be aware of a couple of things though: First, you still need to patch/replace your scsi.device for the new partitions to be properly read and written. Next, don't do a full format (no point anyway). And third, beware of reading the configuration with different versions of HDToolbox as the cylinder count can change based on how it reads the geometry. Newer versions might list more heads, resulting in a lower cylinder count as each cylinder is larger. You can edit the partitions in a newer version but just don't update the geometry (drive definition) of the drive.
Old 07 January 2020, 10:06   #3
Jope
-

Any calculator that has multiplication is handy enough here.

When you define the hard drive, note down the heads + sectors per track from that screen.

When you create partitions, it is cylinders * heads * sectors * 512 to get bytes. Divide by 1024 enough times to get kilo/mega/giga.

As for the scsi.device, you can find many kinds of pre-patched scsi.devices in the classicwb system.hdf .. Choose the one you wish (I suggest 43.45 by Chris/Toni/Christian) and load it from the beginning of your startup-sequence with loadmodule.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:44   #4
Glen M

Well that was considerably easier than I thought.

One question though. When I open my large partition in workbench the capacity noted at the top of the drawer is wrong. Everything reads fine from within dopus but is there a way to fix it when looking from the drawer?
Old 13 January 2020, 11:54   #5
Jope
-

Upgrade to 3.1.4(.1) for correct sizes on partitions above 2GB.
Old 13 January 2020, 12:16   #6
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Upgrade to 3.1.4(.1) for correct sizes on partitions above 2GB.
Scratch that then as I don't have those roms.

Its working fine as is so I'll just put up with the wrong info displayed for now.