English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 November 2008, 18:37   #1
crazyegg

MiamiDX with NetGear MA401 on A1200 Problems

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed MANY times before and I have read Thomas' great install guide on another thread but I am still stuck. I am hoping that I can resolve this here or I will be inclined to buy the "idiot proof" EasyNET software from Amikit.

I have MiamiDX installed on my A1200 but it is not executing properly.

NOTES:
*MiamiDX installed properly with keys
*SetPrism2Defaults command inserted early in the user startup with the following: SSID (My network name all in CAPS) KEY (WEP 10 numeric digits)
*MiamiDX settings all inputed and double checked as per Thomas' previous post

When I click online button in MiamiDX, it 'goes online' but I can't ping from the amiga and/or from another PC.

The light on the MA-401 is a solid green light when A1200 boots up but begins to flash when Miami is 'on line'.

Can anyone please share some kind wisdom as to what I have overlooked?

Regards,
ed...
Old 05 November 2008, 19:06   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Have you got

CardReset in your C: directory?
It is available on Aminet.

You need the line C:CardReset in your Starup-sequence before the SetPrism instructions.
Old 05 November 2008, 19:11   #3
crazyegg

Hi,

Yes, I the cardreset command in the startup BEFORE the setprism2defaults command.

I know the cardreset command is working since I am using the EasyADF software which I got from AmigaKit.

Regards,
ed...
Old 05 November 2008, 23:45   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
The Amiga go (very) slow while a card is inserted? If so, download also cardpatch from Aminet.
Old 06 November 2008, 17:27   #5
crazyegg

Hi All,

I have both cardpatch and cardreset commands inserted property.

I know that the PCMCIA network card is not connected to the router as I cannot ping.

According to the Priswm2 driver docs, the property arguments for Setprism2defaults for using WEP wireless security is (note the "-" in the key):

Setprism2defaults SSID "network name" KEY "xxxx-xxxx-xx"

However, the password for WEP in the PC world must be 10 numeric digits only right? I have tried setprism2defaults without the "-" and I get an error.

Can someone please confirm that the setprism2defaults command is to be loaded with the "-" eventhough the router WEP password is set to 10 numeric digits?

Regards,
ed...
Old 06 November 2008, 17:47   #6
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
These are my working prism settings. The WEP key is in capitals
I notice that I have Channel 1 defined where as you have nothing after the Key...

setprism2defaults SSID "Network Name" Key XXXXXXXXXX Channel 1

Good luck
Old 06 November 2008, 18:35   #7
crazyegg

SOLVED But Security At Risk?

Hi All,

I finally got it working. It was sheer oversight on my part plus some good learning. Here is the info:

SSID does not refer to the name of the network in my location. SSID is the name of the Gateway or in most cases, the name that you give to your router.

KEY is the 10 digit (i.e. 1234567890) number. It is not the same as a 10 digit hexidecimal code which most routers with WEP generate. In my case, I had to remove the passphrase and 4 keys on the router. Next I had to hard code my new KEY (1234567890) into my router. I left my passphrase blank this on time. Now, all my PCs and Amiga are happily connected online.

I don't know how this will affect security though. Now my router only have one key whereas before, it had 4 keys. Any thoughts?

Regards,
ed...
Old 06 November 2008, 23:10   #8
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyegg View Post
Hi All,

I finally got it working. It was sheer oversight on my part plus some good learning. Here is the info:

SSID does not refer to the name of the network in my location. SSID is the name of the Gateway or in most cases, the name that you give to your router.

KEY is the 10 digit (i.e. 1234567890) number. It is not the same as a 10 digit hexidecimal code which most routers with WEP generate. In my case, I had to remove the passphrase and 4 keys on the router. Next I had to hard code my new KEY (1234567890) into my router. I left my passphrase blank this on time. Now, all my PCs and Amiga are happily connected online.

I don't know how this will affect security though. Now my router only have one key whereas before, it had 4 keys. Any thoughts?

Regards,
ed...
I would recomend enabling MAC access control too as an extra precaution.

TC
Old 11 November 2008, 15:19   #9
crazyegg

Hi,

Thanks for the great suggestion!! I will enable MAC filters on my Linksys.

Regards....ed
Old 02 December 2008, 10:13   #10
mingle

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as crazyegg... I'm having trouble getting MiamiDX connected to my wireless router... When I run MiamiInit it gets stuck when trying to connect to the router.

My WEP key is a 128bit ASCII passphrase, but after reading this thread am I right in thinking I can only use a numeric WEP key? I'm a bit confused!

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 05 December 2008, 07:18   #11
crazyegg

Hi,

On my Linksys router, I had to use exactly 10 numeric digits. Do not include any dashes as indicated in the prism2 literature. That did it for me!

Regards.....ed...
Old 08 January 2009, 17:39   #12
tnt23

I am happy to refresh the topic a bit. I have been lucky to successfully install and configure MiamiDX along with Netgear card.

Reading docs from the Prism2 SANA drivers package gave me also knowledge of KEY and TEXTKEY parameters for setprism2defaults.

So everything seems working, MiamiDX connects to the Internet just fine, and I am able to browse for a few minutes. Somehow hosts stop to resolve, ping won't, and I have to stop Miami, reset the card and restart the connection again.

Did someone else experience this?