English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 October 2013, 12:48   #61
Exit

i get glitches using highgfx, any one else? your fullscreen works great Novacoder, thnx for the config file...

@Novacoder: other questions, all the ports you did do you have to have all original games? and do you still update scumm for aga? and final question, how about MAME amiga, is there ever going to be a new update or is the amiga just to slow?
Old 25 October 2013, 13:09   #62
NovaCoder

Hiya,

Yes I am planning one last ScummVM port to AGA and RTG (060 only).

Just need to finish my updated RTG SDL first

I've no idea about MAME.

Glad my config helped you!
Old 25 October 2013, 13:47   #63
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
i get glitches using highgfx, any one else?
Yes, I have some horizontal flickering line after a time using it, and also with Xtreme. I had them too with another mobo. It's only with these modes. An smaller one works nice for hours, like 800x600 would.

Last edited by Retrofan; 25 October 2013 at 17:51.
Old 25 October 2013, 16:23   #64
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
i get glitches using highgfx, any one else?
I occasionally got some glitches on my old 1200, but my 'new' ESCOM with HP Lisa hasn't shown any of those problems. There's 2 or 3 fixes that can be applied to remedy these problems with the Lisa chip, although I can't remember exactly what it is (can find it later). Basically you're using it in a way it was not meant to.

The Indivision MKII has a few glitches in games with flashing screen/colors, probably due to some timing issue, which does not occur on RGB. Maybe varying number of scanlines from the Amiga?

I also tried creating a 640x512 mode and it works pretty well on my monitor also. I set it very close to 32kHz/60 Hz frequencies. Even in this mode, I see some games are still cut off, like Pinball Fantasies AGA where some of the top is cut off. Does this game use overscan?
Old 25 October 2013, 16:28   #65
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
There's 2 or 3 fixes that can be applied to remedy these problems with the Lisa chip, although I can't remember exactly what it is (can find it later).
Yes, please.
Edit: Here it says a cooler on Alice http://www.jschoenfeld.com/products/...0_manual_E.pdf, but I already have one, and a fan over Lisa. I have a mobo for parts with an Hp Lisa, but I'm out of chipkick at the moment, and the instructions comment Alice, not Lisa to be the culprit.

Perhaps a fan for Alice?

Thinking now, I had another A1200 mobo and it didn't have problems with HighGfx. It has an hp Lisa, (I don't want to use it as it has other problems). Is it Lisa or Alice the culprit of the pixels flickering after half an hour?

Edit: The instructions also say that if the chip-cooler doesn't work, in rare cases it is necessary to make some soldering. I wonder what exactly.

Last edited by Retrofan; 25 October 2013 at 21:40.
Old 25 October 2013, 21:43   #66
kipper2k

If the flickering starts after 30 minutes or so then i think there could be issues with overheating. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of the grfx chips, it is possible that one of the support chips moving data etc is overheating. There are so many possibilities it is tough to track down.

I would start off with the opened up A1200 and direct a desktop fan at the computer to try to keep the temp low and see if the artifacts still appear after time.

If the artifacts is common to different motherboards using this indivision then i would point the finger at the indivision first. (although some people would claim incompatibility). If other people have no issues with that version of mobo then this reinforces my thoughts that your specific indi board has issues.

If this version of mobo has issues with everyone then the finger would point to incompatibility/timing issues.

It is still a crap shoot when troubleshooting as age, usage, and history of the motherboard itself can lead to undesirable effects and be tough to solve these kind of issues.

Other common issues could be weak power supply/rail and capacitor wear, drifting of display frequency.
Old 25 October 2013, 21:52   #67
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Other common issues could be weak power supply/rail and capacitor wear, drifting of display frequency.
My specs are an Atx PSU, caps 1 hour of use old (new ones), mobo 1D1 and Lisa chip CBM. I think the problems start much faster with Xtreme, in 5 minutes or so -Edit: well, not true because I use to run other modes before; I just "try" Xtreme, so it's more time-. HighGFX takes half an hour. I've desoldered my donnor Hp Lisa -have some chipquick still-. Will wait for Jens' or Fol's answer to see if desoldering and changing a working one on my miggy. Yes, I know this isn't a support thread, I just want to know which is the culprit of the flickering pixels, and this seems a known issue as the instructions talk about it, and I also know the problem is with my miggy, not the indi.

Also, the thing isn't that I've got always those pixels flickering: let's see, if I change from HighGFX they will disappear, or if I run for half an hour the miggy and then I change to HighGFX I will have them, and also... it starts with the pixels wrong, but after more time there will be bars on screen till I'll have to shut down the miggy or change the screen mode.

I think that if it existed an 800x600 working mode I shoudn't have to change my Lisa...

@Exit: What brand is your Lisa chip?

Last edited by Retrofan; 26 October 2013 at 02:25.
Old 26 October 2013, 02:49   #68
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, please.
Thinking now, I had another A1200 mobo and it didn't have problems with HighGfx. It has an hp Lisa, (I don't want to use it as it has other problems). Is it Lisa or Alice the culprit of the pixels flickering after half an hour?
From what I could read, many different things could cause it.
I found these two, maybe they could be of help:
http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flickfix
http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flickerfix

I think the last one sounds very much like the problems I had with my C= A1200 and since the fix is so simple, it might be worth a shot.
Old 26 October 2013, 14:07   #69
Exit

@retrofan,

dont know, have to see believe its an commodore hp lisa too..
my mobo is a 1d1, and i have those glitches right away, just after i choose for highgfx resolution..lower resolutions , no problems...

@novacoder, great that scummvm for 060..
but noone seems to use MAME on amiga, coz its too slow??
and for all you gameports you did, to use them on amiga do you need the 'original' games?
(like amiquake?)
Old 26 October 2013, 17:18   #70
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
From what I could read, many different things could cause it.
I found these two, maybe they could be of help:
http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flickfix
http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flickerfix

I think the last one sounds very much like the problems I had with my C= A1200 and since the fix is so simple, it might be worth a shot.
Thanks a lot. I've made the E127R fix soldering a pin from a side to another of it, went away for a walk with my daughter for an hour and a half -I forgot it was on- and it keeps running without flickering lines/pixels with HighGFX. Edit: And as I've got the mobo dismounted, now no fan running over the Indi.

Edit: I think I will anyway change the copper cooler over Alice for a metallic thin fan -8mm- over it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 October 2013 at 01:03.
Old 26 October 2013, 20:18   #71
Art

I had this flickering issue as well. Mobo 1D4 screen artifacts in HighGFX, Xtreme after 20-30 mins.

What worked for me:
I removed Indi, cleaned LISA connectors with alcohol, reattached Indi firmly (installed mini heatsinks on indi as well) and no more artifacts in HighGFX or Xtreme even after 4 hours of constant game play. Now everything works like magic. I also attached heatsinks to Alice and Gayle (just in case).

Strange thing is when I had these artifacts screen corruption issues I had no screen corruption in 800x600 mode but only in HighGFX and Xtreme. I could use 800x600 for hours without any issues but the moment I switched to higher resolution BANG screen artifacts everywhere.
Old 26 October 2013, 22:22   #72
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have the same issue but immediately when switching to HIGHGFX or currently using mode PAL:Super-High Res Laced! I also think this 'glitching' disappears after a while, this in on a 1D.1 board.

Think someone needs to design an A1200 Watercooler!!!
Old 27 October 2013, 20:31   #73
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I see there are a lot of people with these problems. I've found more on another thread, summarized with this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Hiya,

Every Amiga motherboard is a bit different.

With my set-up I've found that it's only happy at a max resolution of 800x600 (SuperPlus), if I try to go to 1024x768 or 1280x720 then it becomes glitchy after it warms up a bit (maybe 10 mins usage).

Some people have fixed this by installing fans/heat sinks and for some people it works fine without any modifications, like I said all 1200 motherboards are different.

To be honest 1024x768 and 1280x720 is a bit much of AGA, 800x600 is perfect on mine but unfortunately the Mrk2 no longer supports SuperPlus. I'm currently running mine is PAL 640x512 and 256 colors, if Jens ever adds SuperPlus mode back then I'll switch to 800x600.
I think you should try the E127R fix (although I already have copper coolers on the Indi chips, fan over it and cooler on Alice). But if you think about it, the solution would be of course a working 800x600 mode.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 October 2013 at 01:04.
Old 28 October 2013, 00:20   #74
NovaCoder

Quote:
I see there are a lot of people with these problems. I've found more on another thread, summarized with this post:

I think you should try the E127R fix (although I already have copper coolers on the Indi chips, fan over it and cooler on Alice. But if you think about it, the solution would be of course a working 800x600 mode.
This thread is far more amusing

Yep I could try it I guess but I'm getting very lazy in my old age
Old 28 October 2013, 11:33   #75
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
This thread is far more amusing

Yep I could try it I guess but I'm getting very lazy in my old age
Perhaps some young boy here with this problem can try it first and tell if it works for him too

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 October 2013 at 21:26.
Old 28 October 2013, 12:50   #76
Ratte

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=102

SuperPlus and PAL(nonlace) can coexist!
If you "need" some 640x512 mode on the WB, use xtreme 640x512 nonlace.
Old 28 October 2013, 13:10   #77
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:

I think you should try the E127R fix.
I was going to mention this, but it doesn't work in all cases.
Old 28 October 2013, 21:07   #78
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got it !!!

Full screen 800x600 using HighGFX and full screen for games (at least here on my 32" FullHD LG Tv). Config attached.
HighGFX is one of the few screen modes that seems to work in all Tv's. Another thing is that it can give glitches with some mobos -fixes commented below-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
How about getting someone who knows the Amiga and has time on their hand to create tut/install/app for it with the offer of a board or 2 for their help, that will get the ball rolling so to speak.
Now if someone wants to send me a gift...

Here is my config, and I will explain it clear for everybody: Copy first the HighGFX files (not complete drawers) to your SYS: Devs/Monitors, reboot, open the Indivision config program on Prefs, make a right click on it's top bar, "Open Config" and search mine. Then press at the bottom right, on "Apply". On Screenmode prefs (on your System:Prefs) select HighGFX SuperHighResLaced, untick the default values (1024x768) and enter 800x600. Then you can edit OverScan on Prefs for HighGFX, and although you won't see the full screen, you can move the left side border to the left as it needs so.

Only problem I see is that some (only some) pop-out small windows are a bit off-centered. If you can live with that, the rest is pure perfection -IMHO-.

Edited: Attached new config, Retrofan's2 changing Pal mode -I preffer it-. You can choose, but remember you must be able -it seems so- to use HighGFX on your miggy. If you can't as I've seen there can be flickering pixels/lines with high resolution modes like 1024x728 or 1280x1024 that will go worse and worse with time, that I fixed with this: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flickerfix -the Indi instructions say to try with a cooler on Alice first-, but also other kind with whatever resolution. These last were (here) fixed just taking out the indi, cleaning the pins of Lisa with an eraser and alcohol and refitting it. So you can try with both.
Edit: Now "Retrofan's2.rar without the "Individual Computers" message when opening an screen mode, just like in this [ Show youtube player ].
Attached Files
File Type: rar Retrofan's.rar (1.9 KB, 445 views)
File Type: rar Retrofan's2.rar (1.9 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 November 2013 at 01:54.
Old 29 October 2013, 12:50   #79
Ratte

800x600 with HighGFX ?!

800x600 can be used with SuperPlus beside PAL (nonLace).
HighGFX is made for 1024x768 and is running in 35ns Mode.
SuperPlus is faster because it used 70ns PixelClock and thats why SP never had any "flickering" Problems like 35ns Modes.
Old 29 October 2013, 13:00   #80
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Why don't you post your config, please? I would be very grateful to try it.

I coudn't get your SuperPlus mode working full screen while full screen for games.

I don't have any flickering or any problem, my HighGFX 800x600 looks wonderful, just like your SuperPlus with WinUAE on emulation -well, the pointer goes just a bit out of screen on the right on mine, just like HighGFX 1024x768 was doing-, but of course I will use yours if it's better and I can run it.

Edit: Ejem... Comments of people trying my config ??? I want to know about problematic users on the past :
Quote:
...With my set-up I've found that it's only happy at a max resolution of 800x600 (SuperPlus), if I try to go to 1024x768 or 1280x720 then it becomes glitchy after it warms up a bit (maybe 10 mins usage).

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 October 2013 at 23:05.