English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 25 January 2011, 17:38   #1
amigapd

AmigaPd - feedback on improvements

Hi,

Amigapd was launched last year in October and is about 3 months old - it is only being run by myself and is created using a WYSIWYG package.

The focus is Public domain games as these seemed to be missed off Lemon Amiga and HOL although that is changing.

Suggestions on improvements most welcome.

www.amigapd.com
Old 25 January 2011, 19:29   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I think the site looks excellent and you have made significant progress with it in what is in fact a very short space of time.

How about running a small Facebook site as well to accompany your site - it would generate even more interest and give you more contact with authors, programmers etc... lots of people use Facebook and you might find PD authors who would love to have you host their games contact you... I have a facebook account (scavenge Amiga) in my attempt to find the game scavenge and it has generated some real interest.

Also why not change the name of the site to "Amiga PD and Shareware" now that you are actively encouraging shareware authors to come onto the site.

Also an area could be written to encourage authors to get in touch and share their work - the prospect of their old game getting some recognition would be very appealing to most and it is nice to be able to give this recognition....

Just a couple of ideas...
Old 26 January 2011, 02:47   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

From the ones I've looked it, it appears that you've taken the scans directly from the Amiga Magazine Rack.

Can you please put a note on each scan saying where the scan came from and include a link to the site in your links section?
Old 26 January 2011, 09:51   #4
amigapd

Have provided links for Amiga Magazine Rack - apologies should have done that straight off when I was doing the links for the Amiga Power cover disks - Will need to do the same thing for Recorded Amiga Games in relation to the vidoes from you tube.

Thanks Peter for the ideas - I definately think I will try and get some programmers to add a page about their games -

Will think about Facebook - I am not sure I will have time to manage that group and maintain the website at the same time - maybe in a few months once I am happy with the structure of the site and ironed out the few quirks which still exist on there.
Old 26 January 2011, 10:07   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

AmigaPD: Thanks for that, could you link the main one on the links page to just http://amr.abime.net please (instead of the magazines subpage). I don't mind anyone using the scans of course, just with credit!

The only other thing I'd say would be nice is if you could just search for a game. eg. Type in Q-Bic and it searches the site or "cheat" and use google to search your site for it!
Old 26 January 2011, 10:17   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Main point to improve would be to gather all the info/reviews/videos etc on one page for one game. Now I have the (not zoomable) screenshot with a one-liner on one list, the download in another and have to check the menu if there's a review and/or video for the game. Dunno, but that list -> details kind of presentation seems to work for most sites that have similar content
Old 26 January 2011, 19:16   #7
amigapd

Thanks for the suggestions - being on my own means I have to be realistic and plan improvements in a logical manner. I think the plan will be as follows:

1. Finish of catalogue G -Z
2. Finish Amiga PD recommends
3. On Amiga PD recommends page add links to these games to reviews / magazines / videos pages - websites.

A search box would be useful however as it is a WYSIWYG website program I am not sure how easy or effective this will be but I will try to add the feature to the home page.

This has been the first website I ve created and it has been learn as you go in terms of design and content - I guess if I think back to my original idea it was a site similar to Lemon Amiga but focussing on public domain games so perhaps I need to look back at that site for some design ideas.
Old 22 February 2011, 01:11   #8
blitterobject

Great concept - the Amiga had a great PD scene, and so many PD nuggets could be lost forever on degraded floppies without a site like this.

I'll keep it in mind for a post on my blog (<shamless plug>http://thecommodoreamiga.com</shameless plug>).

Last edited by blitterobject; 22 February 2011 at 01:14. Reason: link fix

Old 11 March 2011, 00:39   #9
amigapd

Seeing the recent post regarding Alien Fish Finger I have decided to make AmigaPd a charityware website - the games and disk images will still be free to download but users are encouraged to make a donation to my chosen charity Mencap in recognition to the work I ve put in creating the website, CD32 compilation disk and CF hard drive image.

http://www.justgiving.com/amigapd
Old 11 March 2011, 01:02   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

A nice gesture, good luck amigapd.
Old 12 March 2011, 20:45   #11
Crashdisk

Good site with anti-amnesiac stuff ;-)
Please continuous

Note:
Some errors with Assassins Disk 11 and 177
Old 12 March 2011, 21:59   #12
amigapd

Thanks - I will correct that as soon as possible - Does anyone know if there is a wrong link which leads to you going to the Wibble world giddy page - this page is now always in the top 2 most visited - even before the interview of Phil Ruston was added - maybe another website has linked to it?
Old 12 March 2011, 22:16   #13
Crashdisk

you can change the page name and link. if the link is referenced on a other site, you'll know soon ...