English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 September 2010, 19:12   #1
Emeraldmoon

How to run Flink CD32 (Misadventures...) on Winuae? Please help

Hello everybody. It's a second forum I ask about the same thing. And there aren't still any answers so far... so I count on help here.

I'm great admirer of any old games as I brought up in those magic times - 80's years. Commodore was my one and only computer in 90's and only now I discover world of Amiga and test various games etc. :-)

I'm quite advanced user and I know Winuae configuration. I run more than 100 games successfully in this emulator but... I can't run Flink - the superb platformer. I'm just sure that I must play it, I saw movie and screens and read favourable reviews about it.

The problem is that I stuck with intro of this game. This flying CD disk from space with a rainbow of colors. Then, after right mouse clicking, I switch screen to language choice and rotating globe on the right side. No matter what language I choose and click counterpart of fire button or enter, screen is back to flying CD disk again. If I push another button (F1 I guess) then from CD disk I'm led to screen with golden key and red and green padlocks below.

I read that this game requires joystick to play/run, but after all Winuae allows to emulate joysticks, isn't it? I map all Joy2 buttons and CD32, like Play button and those colorful buttons (green, red, etc.). In result I'm unable to run this game to the point I could steer my character. I checked many options during long hours and I run out all of ideas how to map keys and to what port number, to run it.

I will be very grateful for help, all the more there are just few good forums where I can turn with my question.
Old 14 September 2010, 19:56   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"flying cd from space" is CD32 boot screen when no CD or non-CD32/CDTV CD is inserted (Never tried CD32 mode without CD? ).

Your Flink CD or image is most likely broken.
Old 14 September 2010, 20:08   #3
Emeraldmoon

It can't be broken since I downloaded three various versions of this game as an .adf files (two parts) and each one causes this intro, golden key or language choice only. I'll tell you more - I managed to run another games in CD32 amiga system with success. Flink is only exception and I read that it requires some special joystick button to run. Very strange. I'm still waiting for any good hints.
Old 14 September 2010, 20:13   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

as adf? It's floppy disk image
Old 14 September 2010, 20:15   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you mean the 'HD, CD32 rip' ADFs, then you need to install them to HD to make them work.
Old 14 September 2010, 20:33   #6
Emeraldmoon

Yes, it's adf disk 1 and disk 2. So explain me what is the point in making available for downloading such files - CD32 games as .adf files (floppy images). There must be some way to run it on Winuae with some configuration hmm.

TheCyberDruid, OK so tell me please how to install such a file to make it work. I heard about WHDload but I never used it and never liked it because of some complex configuration or so.
Old 14 September 2010, 20:37   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

WHDLoad won't help here anyway. You need a WB 3.x install : http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm
Why don't you just download the CD image?
Old 14 September 2010, 20:51   #8
Emeraldmoon

I've just downloaded 50 MB version of Flink from site found on this forum in another thread:
aurore.naglieri.free.fr/
and inside rar file I can see 17 mp3 files, one .cue file and one .iso. Maybe it will works? How can I install it since inside of .iso file there are mainly .WLD and .RAW files?
Old 14 September 2010, 20:54   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Don't install it. Just use the CD32 quickstart in WinUAE and mount the .cue file.
Old 14 September 2010, 21:00   #10
Emeraldmoon

Oh it's sounds better . But I still don't have any clue how to find .cue file installing option in Winuae. Do I have to click "Quickstart" option or run Winuae from the beginning with some parameters?
Old 14 September 2010, 21:03   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just choose the quickstart panel, select CD32 and then (after clicking 'set configuration' if it isn't greyed out) click on 'select image file'. That's it.
Old 14 September 2010, 21:10   #12
Emeraldmoon

Something is wrong then . I Click Quickstart in menu and then of course I have chosen Model and Configuration: CD32. On the bottom I have to turn off "Start in Quickstart mode" and only then button "Set configuration" appears.
Unfortunately there is no reaction after clicking Set Configuration. There is no window or anything like this. Button is active and I can click it with mouse (it isn't grayed out) but it brings no effect
Old 14 September 2010, 21:13   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you had 'start in quickstart mode' enabled, it wasn't necessary. Either way, select the .cue file with 'select image file' and press start.
Old 14 September 2010, 21:17   #14
Emeraldmoon

I can't see any "select image file" in Quickstart panel. And I can choose only some .adf files but my .cue file is invisible for Winuae.
Old 14 September 2010, 21:18   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Too old WinUAE version then. Grab 2.2.0 from http://www.winuae.net/.
Old 14 September 2010, 21:18   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

WinUAE Isomounter is pretty new. Try a recent WinUAE version.
Old 14 September 2010, 21:22   #17
Emeraldmoon

That a surprise! :-). Now I use 1.4.6 version and didn't expect that there are such improvements and so many newer versions until now. OK I will download it in a moment and I hope I will be able to import my configurations from older version...
Old 14 September 2010, 21:23   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmoon View Post
and I hope I will be able to import my configurations from older version...
You will, but depending on what settings you choose in the past, it might be easier just to work with the quickstart modes from now on. Create a 'default.uae' for your host settings (sound, resolutions etc.).
Old 14 September 2010, 21:40   #19
Emeraldmoon

Oh yea! Thank you all for your kind and UNSELFISH help! . If it wasn't for it I would trudge without end with these two .adf files. In the newest version there is possibility of chosing .cue file and I did it and the game finally run, I mean demo before real game! Now I'm wondering what button can make it play.

By the way - in the demo of game I saw horrible, loud swoosh at the background of real effects. After a moment the swoosh disappeared (remaining proper effects working) but It worries me a little anyway.
Old 14 September 2010, 22:49   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmoon View Post
Now I'm wondering what button can make it play.
Try '*' on the numpad (default mapping for CD32's 'Play' if you don't use a joypad/stick).