English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 April 2018, 21:46   #281
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNipple View Post
Hello all!
I just want to let you know that we have teamed up with the folks over at A1200.net to produce an exclusive version of Scourge of the Underkind (because their cases will be amazing!!)

The details can be found in the link.
Is this the only way to get a boxed version of the game?
Old 23 April 2018, 22:18   #282
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
Is this the only way to get a boxed version of the game?
It's the only way to get that particular boxed set with the S.E version of the game.

We are planning a physical release on our own be we cannot match the quality of the product on offer by the A1200.net people.
They are bundling it in a Big Box and with extras...
Old 23 April 2018, 23:55   #283
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Great progress guys!
Old 24 April 2018, 03:41   #284
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Somebody might not like chiptunes, i know because i felt that over my own skin with Bomb Jack Beer Edition , those are pretty good though: is protracker or another chiptune tracker?
Old 25 April 2018, 18:53   #285
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Thanks for the kind words guys!

As far as I know it is protracker, but I could be wrong haha
I will ask the guys
All I know is that they have up to 16kb to work with but no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Somebody might not like chiptunes, i know because i felt that over my own skin with Bomb Jack Beer Edition , those are pretty good though: is protracker or another chiptune tracker?
Old 25 April 2018, 19:11   #286
donnie

is it comming on a floppy?

looks great as usual!
Old 25 April 2018, 19:28   #287
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Thankyou!! I really want it to come on floppy so hopefully it will be a yes
We shall have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
is it comming on a floppy?

looks great as usual!
Old 26 April 2018, 06:51   #288
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:

I will ask the guys
Well if is protracker and they made it fit in 16k with songs or 2+ minutes the musician did an excellent job: the most compact song i made was 18k with 12 different patterns and three channels for 2:43 ^^ (was for Elfie the unicorn and honestly i have no clue if was used)
Old 26 April 2018, 17:24   #289
Amiga1992

This game is looking fantastic, love those awesome death animations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Somebody might not like chiptunes, i know because i felt that over my own skin with Bomb Jack Beer Edition ,
As I told you before, in Bombjack, that's how the original sounds and you made a terrific job of it. Don't listen to anything else!

Time to nitpick, I have to admit the chiptune-type, demoscene style music doesn't fit the moody vibe of this game though, in my opinion, but that's just me. I understand though the memory restrictions at hand that don't allow more complex samples to be used to make music, but I was expecting something a bit darker and dungeony, at times it's too funky/beat-driven, more like a cracktro. I guess it's not the chiptune elements themselves.

In any case I'm really really looking forward to this game! Great work!
Old 27 April 2018, 03:30   #290
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

I agree with Akira. The tunes themselves are pretty good actually, but it feels like they belong to a different genre (like a space shooter perhaps?). I think a more atmoshperic soundtrack would compliment greately the dark tone and visuals. Even some sort of a soundscape or ambient would fit perfectly imho. Obviously having only 16k to work with is an important bottleneck but chiptune can be dark and eerie alright, so it's not an issue of available resources or samples

On the other hand it's rather stereotype to expect something moody and downbeat just because it fits the know mold. And since the above mentioned tracks are nice and all it's not that they hurt the game, they just push it in a different direction (which may be good or bad, depending on your view point and expectations).

One extra note I'd like to point, unrelated to music. I'm not sure if this is final or not (or if it is in your todo list for a future optimisation) but from what I've seen from the latest video and older ones, the main character seems to stuggle to pickup up stuff sometimes. Perhaps I'm not getting something, so I'd like to ask. Is there a pickup mechanic involved? Like you need to press a key to pickup items or you pick them up as you touch them, or pass by them, or..?

Last edited by Tsak; 27 April 2018 at 03:35.
Old 27 April 2018, 09:33   #291
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I noticed that too. Some items are not collected when you walk over them while some others seem to be picked up before you touch them.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:38   #292
ExiE

One more issue, in the latest video it looked like the chest open automatically when you walk close enough and got the right keys in the inventory. Is it true or you have to take action to open it? Coz it looked to me like you sidetrack some chests not to waste all keys or something and there was even place where you could not avoid it at all.
Old 27 April 2018, 18:09   #293
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
One more issue, in the latest video it looked like the chest open automatically when you walk close enough and got the right keys in the inventory. Is it true or you have to take action to open it? Coz it looked to me like you sidetrack some chests not to waste all keys or something and there was even place where you could not avoid it at all.
Maybe the chest should open only if the player turns to the chest and presses fire, or the player walks towards the chest and touches it.

Starting to look good this one The music could be different in my opinion also. It's not bad by any means but I would prefer something more atmospheric, at the moment it kind of conflicts with the feel I get from the visuals.
Old 27 April 2018, 22:02   #294
apex

This looks really like a fantastic game in the quality of the old times! I buy 2 A500 cases, but I would also buy later a physical release of this game. The company dragonbox.de can help to produce another package with printed manual and shipping, or the Amiga Future.
The final, even not special edition, should also have a great packing!!!
Old 28 April 2018, 20:25   #295
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Wow, thank you for the feedback guys!!

Ok, I will have to address a couple of points brought up

The music.
We have teamed up with Vedder and Triace of Insane demogroup because we adore their music and it's their music that is shaping the 'feel' of this game for us. Both Magnus and I are huge fans of what they produce and I know it's not what people expect from our game but I kind of like that too. There is a mute button for those who don't like the music, and we have programmed the game to Guru on you just once for muting the awesome music (just kidding about the Guru part).

The collision detection.
Ok, the maps are not final, a lot of what you are seeing in this last piece of footage is a W.I.P and a LOT of things will change before release. You will actually find that you pick up coins and loot when you are nearby them, not always when you are on top of them.
The chests will open as soon as you get right next to them and unless places sensibly (my bad) they can suck all of your silver keys up...which you need to unlock doors.

Also, the Special Edition we are planning to make will be an **exclusive** only available through the A1200.net people. We have no plans to release a special edition of our own, when Scourge is done and out of the door that is it! Then we work on the S.E, again, only available through the A1200.net people as part of a case bundle.

I will upload a tweaked version of the gameplay very soon so your fears/worries/concerns can be reassured

Sorry, but the music is staying

Last edited by CaptainNow; 28 April 2018 at 22:10.
Old 28 April 2018, 22:17   #296
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

I will ask the guys
You do know you can separate the song data from a protracker module and have thar in slow mem, and leave the bank of samples in chip mem?
Old 28 April 2018, 23:25   #297
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
You do know you can separate the song data from a protracker module and have thar in slow mem, and leave the bank of samples in chip mem?

I really wish I could understand that....I know Magnus understands it as he has just mentioned this to me....but all I can do is make things look pretty.
Magnus is the brains
Old 28 April 2018, 23:27   #298
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I really wish I could understand that....I know Magnus understands it as he has just mentioned this to me....but all I can do is make things look pretty.
Magnus is the brains
As most of your music is chip type modules, the songdata is likely to be larger than the samples the module uses.

Quite easy to separate them, could give the musicians 10k+ to work with
Old 28 April 2018, 23:29   #299
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
As most of your music is chip type modules, the songdata is likely to be larger than the samples the module uses.

Quite easy to separate them, could give the musicians 10k+ to work with
I am still getting over the fact that Galahad is chatting to us
Fanboying aside, thankyou very much!!!
Old 30 April 2018, 21:42   #300
apex

Only 14 bakers out of 100. The special edition which will come with the A500 case must be more advertised!!! At the moment I assume that for example many game collectors did not have it on the radar.