English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 November 2017, 16:19   #21
springycz

What are the recommended values of mask and max transfer for PFS3 on SCSI2SD connected to GVP A530?
So far I am using same values which I use for CF cards in IDE (mask 0xfffffffc, max transfer 0x1fe00). I read somewhere that for SCSI devices 0x00fffffe mask is better. What about the max transfer?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 November 2017, 18:46   #22
Sinphaltimus

When I had the GVP SCSI connected, I was using 0x00fffffe & 0x1fe00.
Old 21 November 2017, 18:50   #23
mark_k

With an A530, you probably don't have any memory outside the lower 16MB (you can check by running ShowConfig), so setting Mask to 0xFFFFFFFE or 0x00FFFFFE will make no difference.

MaxTransfer of 0xFFFFFFFF would probably work fine, unless you need to work around firmware bug/limitations in your SCSI device. (It's possible that to be safe 0x1FFFE00 could be used instead, but that's just under 32MB so unless you have significantly more RAM than that, that's just theoretical.)
Old 21 November 2017, 19:37   #24
springycz

Thank you very much for your advice! I have just 2MB of chip RAM in my A500+ and 8MB of fast RAM in GVP A530 so I´ll try what you suggested.
Now I am not sure if I should try max transfer 0x1FFFE00 rather than 0xFFFFFFFF since I have less then 10MB of RAM.
I was also told to try max transfers 0x0000FE00 or 0x00010000 (it´s what friend of mine uses in his A500 with some HDD expansion), do you think it might be worth of trying?
Old 21 November 2017, 23:05   #25
mark_k

MaxTransfer of 0x1FFFE00 or 0xFFFFFFFF will make no difference, since no program would ever attempt to read 8MB at once.

A lower MaxTransfer might possibly be required with some older/buggy device drivers (probably not gvpscsi.device). For example, if the driver only uses 6-byte READ and WRITE commands, the maximum transfer length for one SCSI command is 256 sectors; that's 128KB with the usual 512-byte sectors: 0x20000. If the driver doesn't handle splitting larger requests into <= 128KB chunks, a MaxTransfer of 0x20000 or 0x1FE00 could potentially be needed.

With an A530 you probably won't have any issues like that.
Old 22 November 2017, 09:17   #26
springycz

OK, so I tried both values for both options you suggested and it looks like the GVP A530 is kinda buggy since I did not see any improvement, rather the opposite. The Work Bench slowed down and WHDload gives no error messages and instead of it crashes the whole system.

I´ll try 0x1FE00 which I previously used along with the mask 0xFFFFFFFC (which probably was wrong) or the 0x20000 this evening.

EDIT: Since I use a SCSI2SD adapter (ver. 5) instead of the proper SCSI hard drive, I tried to use a hard drive to eliminate a possible problem with the SCSI2SD. However, it wasn´t a good choice as it gives me more problems than before. So I switched to SCSI2SD again and tried to remove termination resistors on it. I can see a slight improvement although WHDload games still crash.

Last edited by springycz; 22 November 2017 at 12:46.
Old 22 November 2017, 13:08   #27
mark_k

I wonder if there's some hardware-level incompatibility between the A530 and SCSI2SD.
If so adjusting MaxTransfer probably won't cure the problem. But try a lower number, e.g. 0x8000.

Also, do you have problems only with with PFS3 partitions? Can you use FFS partitions without problems?
Old 22 November 2017, 13:17   #28
springycz

To be honest, I didn´t try FFS yet so it might be worth of trying.
I also assumed that things should have gone better with a real SCSI hard drive, bud it was even worse.
So I´ll try to redo my partitions with FFS and will see what next.
Is a 2GB partition ok with FFS?
Old 22 November 2017, 13:27   #29
mark_k

2GB should be fine if FFS is recent enough (version 40.1 should be, I think). You should ensure the partition is within the first 4GB of the drive though.
Old 22 November 2017, 14:42   #30
springycz

Nope, doesn´t work with FFS either. The thing is that I get so many different error messages from the WHDload that it is hard to decipher what´s going on and where´s the problem. For example, one would assume that if the message says Exception "NMI Autovector" putting a NOAUTOVEC into tool types of the game icon will fix it. NO, it doesn´t, just whole system crashes.
Looks like it´s way more difficult for me.
Old 22 November 2017, 16:09   #31
springycz

So it looks like my system had a memory issue. I played with the position of GVP SIMMs and have found out that one SIMM works just in one of two sockets, while the other one works in both sockets. So I swapped the positions of both SIMMs and all the error messages disappeared, suggesting from the two games I tested. (well at least for FFS partitions. I´ll test PFS3 later.)
I am curious if that one SIMM that works just in rear socket is faulty so I have to perform some memory tests
Old 22 November 2017, 18:53   #32
mark_k

Strange about the SIMMs. It could well be that files got corrupted when you copied them over if there was a RAM problem. So re-copy/install your WHDLoad games before testing them again.

Cloanto's DirDiff is useful for checking that files you copy over did actually copy correctly.
Old 22 November 2017, 19:55   #33
springycz

Thank you. There's still a lot of work to be done and lots of things to check as the system still occasionally crashes. I have to reseat all the socketed chips and clean them (as well as sockets) with IPA since contacts on simms were really dirty. There also might be power supply problem and so on. Once I have everything checked I'll install whole system from scratch. The good thing is that I have a clue where is the problem.
Old 23 November 2017, 14:04   #34
springycz

So I reseated all the socketed chips and cleaned all contacts so by that I should exclude possible bad contacts. While cleaning the board I noticed some jumpers so I checked the GVP´s manual to check if everything is set correctly. All jumpers but one are clearly set welll. The one I am not sure about its correct setting is the J1: open – MMU enabled, closed – MMU disabled, Factory default - open.
There´s a description for this jumper from the manual:

Quote:
The 68EC030 chip used with most A530 Turbo accelerators does not have a Memory Management Unit. Instead, GVP provides alternate memory mapping technology. If a 68030 with MMU is substituted for the 68EC030, this jumper provides a means of disabling that chip´s MMU. This feature may be of interest to software developers who require a machine without MMU.

I have a full 68030 in my GVP. Should I understand that if I have a full 68030 I should disable the CPU´s MMU as GVP´s alternate memory mapping technology wants to take control of the memory? Or is it exactly the opposite? I think that this might be causing the problems. But I am not sure how to understand this description.
Old 23 November 2017, 14:21   #35
mark_k

Closing the jumper will disable your CPU's MMU. There's not really any reason to do that, so just leave it open. Otherwise if you ever want to use some MMU-using program, you'd have to open the jumper first.
Old 23 November 2017, 14:35   #36
springycz

Thanks for the explanation. I understand that as MMU on CPU and GVP´s alternate memory mapping technology can collide together.

Last question: Might this be somehow related to my problems? Could this help too?

Last edited by springycz; 23 November 2017 at 14:43.
Old 23 November 2017, 17:41   #37
mark_k

I don't think there's any "collision" between MMU operation and the GVP hardware ROM-remapping (which doesn't need/use the MMU).

The PatchBoot program is only of use if you use "GvpCpuCtrl FASTROM" to remap your Kickstart ROM into fast RAM. [Which I would recommend if you can spare 512KB of your fast RAM.] It just solves a problem where programs which try to soft-reboot the machine don't work if the GVP ROM-remapping is active. I don't think that's related to any problems you've been having; it sounds like your issues are related to bad RAM.
AdSense AdSense