English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 November 2018, 08:19   #1
solja

Commodore 1942 monitor reassembly

I took apart a 1942 monitor to check for bulging capacitors, etc. When reassembling it, of course there is one cable I can't find a connector for on the circuit board (see cable.jpg). The cable is two wires in a clear plastic tube that ends in a white 3-wire connector. The two wires are then wrapped in black plastic and go around the CRT tube just behind the front of the monitor (see monitor.jpg).

Any help finding where that cable connects is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	60817   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	60818  

Old 14 November 2018, 19:48   #2
shaf

i don't have a PCB layout only a circuit schematic, but its for the Power LED it should plug into the main board close to the 3pin socket near R413. You should be able to use the monitor without it just the LED won't light.
Old 14 November 2018, 22:05   #3
solja

Thanks, but that one I've got connected. It's a pair of black and white wires in clear tubing that goes directly from the board to the light.

The one I need to find the connector for is a pair of green and red wires, thicker than the ones that connect by R413. They are initially in a clear tube, but when they wrap around the front of the CRT, they are in black tubing. It's hard to see where they end, but they go at least 7/8 of the way around the front of the CRT.

Since it wraps around the front of the CRT, it makes me think it might have some sort of degauss function?

Old 15 November 2018, 04:12   #4
shaf

Let me recheck the schematics and see what i can find. I doubt it would be a degauss function because none of the other Commodore monitors have this feature. And it usually requires a manual reallignment.
Old 15 November 2018, 04:50   #5
shaf

The 1940 and 1942 Monitor used the same electronics the only difference is the dot pitch of the CRT. with the 1942 having the finer dot pitch, it was manufactured by Daewoo between 1992 and 1993 and was a Bi-sync monitor supporting 15.75KHz and 27 -31.5 KHz.
The only 2 position connectors in can find on the schematics are for the Front LED and Headphone Connector.
Old 19 November 2018, 05:13   #6
TjLaZer

Anyone have a cap list avail for this monitor?
Old 16 December 2018, 01:48   #7
solja

Better late than never?

I went to https://elektrotanya.com/commodore_1.../download.html and after waiting a while, the "...processing..." text after "This file is downloadable free of charge:" turned to a Download link. On the 43rd page of the PDF (page 40 as the document numbers them), the capacitor list starts.

Old 31 January 2019, 02:19   #8
whaka

don't know if the solution was found since... but better late than never, isn't it ?
the connector you looked for, is somewere near the power cord plug.
Old 31 January 2019, 04:04   #9
Shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf View Post
Let me recheck the schematics and see what i can find. I doubt it would be a degauss function because none of the other Commodore monitors have this feature. And it usually requires a manual reallignment.
Every single color CRT ever made has a degauss function and degaussing coil.

In most cases, they were simply a loop of wire around the front of the tube, connected in series with a PTC resistor, powered by the incoming AC power.

When you turn on the CRT and the PTC is cold, it allows a LOT of current to pass through the degaussing coil. This heats up the PTC, which raises its resistance and reduces the current through the degaussing coil, until the current almost completely dies off - this degausses the tube.

If you turn the unit off, then immediately back on, the PTC doesn't have any time to cool down, so it doesn't degauss the tube again. The PTC must cool down before another degaussing cycle will occur.

If you leave the unit on for months at a time, you will see the colors slowly start to get corrupted as the tube gets magnetized by the earth's magnetic field. This is why every tube has the degaussing circuit.