English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 August 2010, 19:14   #1
MethodGit

GP2X Cannoo - worth the bother or not?

[ Show youtube player ]

I believe this has just started to be sold. I bought a Wiz earlier in the year but am now wondering whether it would be worth trading/selling it in favour of one of these. My only concern is how well the analog stick performs (seeing as it's replaced the d-pad the Wiz adopted), and whether they've implemented a better screen that doesn't tear diagonally anymore.

It's said to be slightly bigger than a Wiz, which might benefit me a bit better. As lovely as the Wiz's outer design is, the fact remains that I can still overwhelm all four face buttons with a single thumb!

Last edited by MethodGit; 21 August 2010 at 19:43.
Old 21 August 2010, 22:59   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

It's not out yet. I too find the wiz too small to use comfortably. I should be getting my caanoo in the next couple of weeks. But I also have a pandora on the way to me as we speak so I'm not sure how much playtime the caanoo will get.
Old 22 August 2010, 09:20   #3
gibs
Banned

Open Licence Content Policy

http://bjimba.blogspot.com/2006/01/g...pl-lesson.html
Old 22 August 2010, 09:29   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

wow, maybe dates work differently in France but to me that article looks four years old.
Old 22 August 2010, 13:44   #5
Photon

Haha, they didn't skimp on the WHOOSH sounds in that commercial, did they!?

The games shown are extremely not my cup of tea Brr...

Well, I got a GP2X a bunch of years ago, where the emulators are a bit too slow to be enjoyable. If their development history is anything to go by, they've put in another type of crappy joystick in this model too, and the screen is better than most handhelds. I'm happy with the screen in mine.

The Pandora seems nice, but I doubt they'll be able to keep up with demand whereas Gamepark seems to have found a successful niche and a large market. Seems they even put some thought in supporting the existing software base, too.

An appstore is now a necessity for every mobile/handheld, and it's excellent that they've realized this! Does Pandora have one? I don't know.

If you want an open-platform handheld, GP and Pandora are both quite all right. You might have a better chance actually buying a GP, though.

As for the analog joystick, I have no reason to suspect they've suddenly made a joystick for gamers. Then again, the GP2X one was better than the PSP analog one, and I thought the GP2X one was still no good. Just saying this in case you're not as picky as me
Old 22 August 2010, 13:49   #6
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Does Pandora have one?
Yes: http://apps.open-pandora.org/ (never used it though tbh)

Last edited by john4p; 30 August 2010 at 13:21.
Old 20 June 2011, 08:06   #7
onkelarie

i bought the caanoo a while back and i must say i'm impressed. the snes emulation is not the best in the world, but i never really cared for snes emulation anyway. i managed to get uae4all working quite well on the caanoo. sega genesis and megacd are awesome. scummvm is just excellent. considering the pricetag, the Caanoo wins for me.

Last edited by onkelarie; 20 June 2011 at 14:16.
Old 24 January 2012, 01:29   #8
Djay
95th User

Is it possible to run Workbench and set up a virtual HD?

would be handy to boot to WB and then use WHDLoad
Old 24 January 2012, 01:35   #9
onkelarie

It's possible to run workbench from a disk, but that's about it. Hardfiles are not supported.

On top of that, the native resolution of the caanoo is 320 x 240, so the Workbench will look pretty much scrambled because of aliasing.

But with some fiddling in the option section of uae4all, 1.2 and 1.3 kickstart games run pretty good!
Old 24 January 2012, 02:07   #10
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
But with some fiddling in the option section of uae4all, 1.2 and 1.3 kickstart games run pretty good!
hmmm... fiddling... of what nature?

with options like TV-Out, USB Keyboard/Mouse and USB Joystick/Pad support i am looking forward to playing some classic Amiga games on my big tv, i could also design Amiga software on it...

.. thats of course with the flaming HD support

a nice option would be to have it shut the LCD down when connected to a TV?
Old 24 January 2012, 04:17   #11
Amiga1992

I totally love my Caanoo and being able to run Amiga games almost always at full speed is a great thing I Never expected from it when I bought it. I even run ProTracker in it and it runs like a charm. I wouldn't get a Caanoo FOR Amiga emulation, but for many other reasons, and as a nice bonus you'd get pretty decent Amiga emulation. Portable Amiga gaming is quite a luxury and these have gone down in price now. This port of UAE surely runs much faster than the PSP version (The Caanoo is faster than the PSP).

But DJay, if you want to play AMiga games in your big TV, you are MUCH better off buying a cheap Netbook and running WInUAE. Even a small one like my Asus 900HA runs WinUAE full speed on most everything and it looks gorgeous on the TV.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:41   #12
frikilokooo

I don't recommend Canoo,WYZ or Dingoo consoles.They are only used to emulate and hardly any updates for these emulators.Besides they don't have their own games or games are very poor and non-professional.I've had all these consoles and I have sold them before it's too late.I think these companies have closed.

Any mobile nowadays equals or exceeds the CPU of these consoles I've got a free Samsung Galaxy Ace(CPU 800mhz possibility of overclocking,RAM 300mb) with a promotion.Android has more support than those consoles,emulators with more updates and many professional games.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:59   #13
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I don't recommend Canoo,WYZ or Dingoo consoles.They are only used to emulate and hardly any updates for these emulators.Besides they don't have their own games or games are very poor and non-professional.I've had all these consoles and I have sold them before it's too late.I think these companies have closed.
Agreed. I bought one (Caanoo) recently on a whim and it's pretty short of software (emulator-wise).

I know it relies on the goodness of strangers to develop for it, so I'm not moaning, but I've only had it a few weeks and will probably sell it shortly.

I can't get the C64 or Amiga emulators to run at a playable speed, amongst other issues. If you only wanted Sega/Nintendo emulation though it's perfect for that, can't fault it.
Old 24 January 2012, 13:06   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I don't recommend Canoo,WYZ or Dingoo consoles.They are only used to emulate and [...] they don't have their own games or games are very poor and non-professional.
These consoles are meant to run emulators, who needs games of their own? Who is going to develop exclusive games for such an obscure system? If you bought any of these thinking it would have commercial-grade, exclusive releases, you made a pretty huge mistake and you didn't investigate enough :/

Quote:
Any mobile nowadays equals or exceeds the CPU of these consoles
Playing emulators on a mobile is retarded. Touchscreen controls are just mega stupid. Doesn't make any sense. A Caanoo emulating is much better than any phone, if only because of the real gaming interface.

PJ: The Caanoo did indeed suffer, though, of lack of development. The Pandora took the attention of all the devs away from the Caanoo. It is a shame, indeed, the machine is really nice.

The C64 emulator runs like arse, it needs optimizations, but the Amiga emu runs OK, I managed to play many games at full speed. Have you fiddled with the options?

OTher than the Pandora (meh), the Caanoo is the only portable platform that runs Amiga games at decent speed.
Old 24 January 2012, 14:15   #15
frikilokooo

@ Akira

This is only your opinion so take it easy man and If you think that I bought all those consoles for their exclusive releases you made a pretty huge mistake and you didn't investigate enough about me
Old 24 January 2012, 14:19   #16
Amiga1992

I am taking it easy, the internet is a funny place :P
I didn't state my opinion at all, I stated a fact about the Gamepark consoles.
As for mobile gaming, I guess that is a preference. Retarded controls vs. real controls, anyone can choose what they want. :P
Old 24 January 2012, 15:01   #17
Djay
95th User

I bought it because it's cheap, runs quite a few emulators and has buttons... I have an iPad and iPhone... And I hate gaming on them!

For me, it does what I want, and I don't have to buy software... Maybe it's closer to the Amiga than I first thought...

I also have a netbook and last year I took it on holiday, connected a joypad and a tv and played alien fish finger and it was awesome!!!

But I like the idea of taking the caanoo everywhere
Old 24 January 2012, 15:27   #18
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The C64 emulator runs like arse, it needs optimizations, but the Amiga emu runs OK, I managed to play many games at full speed. Have you fiddled with the options?
To be honest dude, I didn't perservere-- I'd had a bad day

Main thing I was doing was trying demos, and the frame rate dropped to practically nothing during disk access (which happens a lot in demos, as you know!). Is that a known issue?
Old 24 January 2012, 15:29   #19
Amiga1992

Yeah, whenever the disk kicks in, shit hits the fan. Same happens with C64 emulation on PSP. It's pretty fast, until the real 1541 emulation has to kick in.
Old 24 January 2012, 23:13   #20
pubzombie

I currently use a Gp2x f200 for my mobile emulating, mainly zx spectrum, Atari st, c64 and Amiga. I was just wondering how the caanoo compares to my f200??