English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 May 2019, 14:03   #821
SpeedGeek

C-A Acquisition Corp. vs. Hyperion Ent.

If you have been following the legal dispute between Cloanto and the Amiga parties with Hyperion then you might be interested in this update:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...rtainment_CVBA

(A perfect example of what happens when you hire lawyers and give them a blank check ).
Old 31 May 2019, 14:27   #822
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
If you have been following the legal dispute between Cloanto and the Amiga parties with Hyperion then you might be interested in this update:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...rtainment_CVBA

(A perfect example of what happens when you hire lawyers and give them a blank check ).
Well no. You might recall that C-A Acquisition Corporation was seeking to be enjoined in the main lawsuit:
Source
When this was disallowed, so to speak, C-A had to file their own lawsuit.

As you can see, the main case still concerns the contract. The additional case is focussed on the trademarks.

It may seem like the main case is going backwards, since the response yesterday is to "ANSWER to47 Amended Complaint" which was actually filed last year.
Reference to #47 from December 29, 2018

Old 01 August 2019, 15:24   #823
SpeedGeek

C-A Acquisition Corp et al v. Hyperion Entertainment:

11 Order Reassigning Case Wed 10:24 AM
ORDER REASSIGNING CASE TO THE HON. RICARDO S. MARTINEZ by Hon. Michelle L. Peterson. (TF)

LOL!

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 01 August 2019 at 18:21.
Old 01 August 2019, 15:29   #824
Turrican_3
C= and Amiga aficionado!

I swear he's going to punch whoever mentions "Amiga" in front of him... it's been, what, 10+ years he's been dealing with this legal battles. :O
Old 29 September 2019, 17:38   #825
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican_3 View Post
I swear he's going to punch whoever mentions "Amiga" in front of him... it's been, what, 10+ years he's been dealing with this legal battles. :O
He will probably owe the Belgium bankruptcy court a big "Thank You!" for finally disposing of the problem after 10+ years, but we will have to wait and see on that matter...

Now, anyone care to make an educated guess why Hyperion refuses to accept service and refuses to authorize their U.S. lawyers to reply?

Consequently, no appearance has been filed by anyone on behalf of Hyperion... Plaintiffs’ request is not sought for purposes of delay, but rather due to the fact that Hyperion has declined to accept service. Plaintiffs believe that service of the Summons and Amended Complaint was effected on August 20, 2019, but counsel has not yet received a certificate of service from the Belgian bailiff.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C-A_Aquisition_Motion_Extend.pdf (92.0 KB, 205 views)
Old 06 October 2019, 15:37   #826
Overmann

So how are things going? I have no idea what any of these comments mean. I've tried to read some of the PDF's but I don't understand any of them either :P
Old 06 October 2019, 16:41   #827
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
So how are things going? I have no idea what any of these comments mean. I've tried to read some of the PDF's but I don't understand any of them either :P
To sum up:

The lawsuit war is still going on. Both sides (Amiga Inc. and Hyperion) will have to prove that the other broke the settlement agreement first in order to win. And the winner will most likely bankrupt the loser and get all Amiga IPs under one roof.

But we, as amigans, cannot make any conclusion yet, as things are still in the very early stages.
Old 06 October 2019, 16:56   #828
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

In the document provided by SpeedGeek, it is indicated that deadlines have been extended. Thus, the story will continue in mid-December at the earliest.
Old 09 October 2019, 15:50   #829
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
In the document provided by SpeedGeek, it is indicated that deadlines have been extended. Thus, the story will continue in mid-December at the earliest.
Actually, the deadlines for both cases have been extended (but not for the same reason). However, after the service of process has been completed in the trademark case, I would not be surprised to see it extended again (for the same reason as the contract case). Like I said, the U.S. torpedo works just as well as the Italian torpedo.

The contract case has now been extended again due to settlement negotiations. It also gives a hint about the "Motion To Compel" and why it was withdrawn. Hyperion had previously failed to submit documentation of it's evidence and expert witnesses in compliance with the case discovery requirements. Hence, Hyperion's recent compliance resulted in the motion being withdrawn.

Also, it's appears that all of the parties have finally been motivated to attempt to settle the cases due to very high legal costs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cloanto_Amiga_Hyperion_Motion_Extend.pdf (96.8 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 09 October 2019 at 16:13.
Old 09 October 2019, 17:31   #830
E-Penguin
Banana

Cloanto buys Hyperion, everyone gets their money, all Amiga IP is united and we go skipping into the future hand-in-hand.

Probably
Old 09 October 2019, 21:55   #831
number6

@thread

Read the document link for October 9, 2019

Old 14 October 2019, 07:30   #832
quantum8

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Cloanto buys Hyperion, everyone gets their money, all Amiga IP is united and we go skipping into the next lawsuit hand-in-hand.

Probably

Fixed that for you
Old 24 October 2019, 15:10   #833
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by number6 View Post
Ok, the service of process is now complete for the trademark case:

AFFIDAVIT of Service of Summons and Complaint on Hyperion Entertainment CVBA on 10/8/2019, filed by Plaintiffs C-A Acquisition Corp, Cloanto Corporation.(Troy, Gordon)
Att: 1 English Language Translation of service of First amended complaint, Summons, etc. pursuant to Hague Convention,
Att: 2 Certificate of Service

Now, we will wait for Hyperion's answer and to see if another extension will be filed.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 24 October 2019 at 20:16.
Old 24 October 2019, 16:57   #834
number6

Quote:

AFFIDAVIT of Service of Summons and Complaint on Hyperion Entertainment CVBA on 10/8/2019, filed by Plaintiffs C-A Acquisition Corp, Cloanto Corporation.(Troy, Gordon)
Att: 1 English Language Translation of service of First amended complaint, Summons, etc. pursuant to Hague Convention,

Now, we will wait for Hyperion's answer and to see if a another extension will be filed.
In the meantime, there is a lot of AmiWest 2019 news, some related to relationships, and quite a lot of full disclosure of events leading up to the ExecSG purchase by Trevor Dickinson.

please watch this thread for uploads and summaries

Old 24 October 2019, 19:19   #835
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@#6 : Thanks
Old 23 November 2019, 00:10   #836
number6

Quote:

Now, we will wait for Hyperion's answer and to see if another extension will be filed.
No.

ORDER granting Plaintiffs'16 Motion for Default Against Hyperion Entertainment CVBA

Old 23 November 2019, 00:38   #837
SpeedGeek

Apparently, Hyperion never intended to file an answer in the trademark case (rather than simply using a delay tactic). Finally, this represents a major victory for the Cloanto parties! Excellent!

Now, the next question is how much of this judgment will be enforceable outside the U.S. ? (I suspect Hyperion thinks it's completely unenforceable in the E.U. and Benelux countries).

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 23 November 2019 at 00:43.
Old 28 December 2019, 15:07   #838
number6

Quote:
I gather you've been following this.
First filing after the default judgment was filed by the clerk:
"MOTION for Leave to File Over-length Motions and Briefs re: Motion for Entry of Default Judgment"
This was granted yesterday by the judge, with additional information regarding length of reply.
I gather this process will be followed by an actual ruling from the court.

item 22

All of this seems to fly in the face of the court (Judge Martinez) speaking about expectations of settlement by end of year, no?

Old 28 December 2019, 17:31   #839
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by number6 View Post
I gather you've been following this.
First filing after the default judgment was filed by the clerk:
"MOTION for Leave to File Over-length Motions and Briefs re: Motion for Entry of Default Judgment"
This was granted yesterday by the judge, with additional information regarding length of reply.
I gather this process will be followed by an actual ruling from the court.

item 22

All of this seems to fly in the face of the court (Judge Martinez) speaking about expectations of settlement by end of year, no?

ORDER granting Plaintiffs'21 Motion for Leave to File Over-Length Motion. Plaintiffs may file a motion for entry of default judgment of no more than 11 total pages. Defendant's response brief (if any) shall be no more than 11 total pages. Signed by Judge Ricardo S. Martinez. (PM)

Yes, I have been following this. But I don't see it as flying in the face of the court. The trademark dispute was always part of the contract dispute. However, as you previously noted, Judge Martinez refused to allow it because the parties failed to act with "Due Diligence" so it had to be filed as a separate case.

Since, the trademark case has now been decided by Default, any "Settlement" of the contract case (if there actually is one) will simply incorporate the results of the trademark case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C-A_Acquistion_Leave_Over_Length_Motion.pdf (17.8 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 30 December 2019 at 15:37.
Old 01 January 2020, 16:03   #840
number6

@SpeedGeek

much more filed yesterday