English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 01 January 2018, 15:26   #1
billy_wiz

All input appreciated

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, my names Lee, I'm in Nottingham and have had my Amiga since the early 90's.
Every few years I get my childhood Amiga 500 out and that always kickstarts (excuse the pun) a little interest in what's new on the Amiga scene, consequently I've found my way here and wow, what you folks are doing has blown me away.
Seeing what's now possible has inspired me to do something with my Amiga, I would love to be able to play games from a compact flash card and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the best way to go about this.
First off, here's my setup:

-Amiga A500
-Rev 6A motherboard
-8372A Agnus
-1mb total Ram including 512k in the trapdoor.
-Kickstart 1.3

I'd like to install a CF card within the casing and wondered what was the best way to do this. I'm also curious about my rev 6a motherboard, it has missing ram chips where I presume an extra 512k can be added, is this something I should do and will my Angus recognise it?
As per title, all ideas/advice will be gratefully received. In the meantime I'll continue scouting the forum, trying to answer as many questions as I can for myself.

Old 02 January 2018, 13:09   #2
billy_wiz

Ok, so I've seen a couple of accellorator/ide daughter boards that might give me the option of adding compact flash, they were all pretty expensive and I'm not sure I need more ram or hardware accelloration do I? I just want to be able to play games from an internal solid state drive, is there a way to add just this feature inexpensively?
To recap, my system is:
Amiga 500 rev 6a
1mb of memory in total, half of that in the trapdoor expansion.
8372a agnus
Kickstart 1.3
Again, any pointers would be gratefully received.

Old 02 January 2018, 13:15   #3
Larky

Hi Billy,

I think a cheap route would be to get a gotek disk drive replacement. This makes it possible to run your games as disk images from USB. Another, though more expensive, route would be getting an aca500plus from icomp. This provides additional ram, cf card accessibility and even booting from cf using ks3.1.
Old 02 January 2018, 13:51   #4
ajk

Quote:
I just want to be able to play games from an internal solid state drive
Unlike say the A600 or A1200, the A500 has no provision for a hard disk in its original design. So you can't get away quite as easily, unfortunately. Also keep in mind that most games don't readily install to a hard drive, so you need to patch them which usually also requires extra RAM.

The Gotek floppy drive replacement will get you pretty close and is inexpensive. It would be a good place to start, at least.

The next step from that would be one of the various extra RAM+IDE boards that plug into the 68000 socket. But I am not sure if any are currently produced commercially so you'll have to investigate what is available and from where.
Old 02 January 2018, 14:45   #5
Larky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
But I am not sure if any are currently produced commercially so you'll have to investigate what is available and from where.
ACA500 plus is still for sale: here
Old 02 January 2018, 16:17   #6
ajk

@Larky

Yep, but he wanted an internal solution.
Old 02 January 2018, 16:57   #7
Sinphaltimus

Dare say Vampire V2+ or V4? I have an A500 and I wanted the same, but I did also wanted the extra ram and acceleration (not just for gaming). Once it's all setup, Apollo OS comes with WHDLoad with a lot of games preinstalled. It's entirely internal. A bit expensive yes, but less expensive than many others. When corev3 is ready, you'll even get to add 2MB chip and AGA support with a simple software update. I'm very happy with my Vampirized A500, others hate them for various reasons. Investigate, read, search, look around and draw your own conclusions.

http://apollo-accelerators.com/