English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 June 2014, 00:09   #1
vimfuego

Wanting to write adf's from HxC

Hi All,

I have a number of original disks that won't read, I was hoping I might be able to try reformatting them and writing back an adf to them on a real Amiga.
I have a HxC Floppy Emulator in my A1200. Is there any way I can use it as the source and copy out to an external floppy on the A1200 to write the disks?

Thanks.
Old 18 June 2014, 00:39   #2
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Maybe just using any external floppy drive and any good copier.

I'm using this method with a Gotek drive and a cumana external drive via X-Copy

Reading on emulated drive
Writing on real external drive

Old 18 June 2014, 02:10   #3
vimfuego

But will X-Copy see the HxC as a normal disk it can copy? What you suggested is exactly what I was hoping to do, read from the emulated drive, write to external real floppy.
Old 18 June 2014, 04:29   #4
Vot

There is no point to doing this using a gotek atleast. Gotek's only support adfs that aren't copy protected. Its just as easy to copy the actual adf to the amiga and just use adf blitzer or similar. HXC's support ipf's so it may be possible to copy them from the hxc to a real disc using xcopy as you suggest and preserve the copy protection.
Old 18 June 2014, 04:40   #5
vimfuego

Ok, adf blitzer sounds like another good option.
It has been a while since I used the HxC (well, my 1200 for that matter) so I'm a little rusty on remembering what can and can't be done.
Old 18 June 2014, 07:42   #6
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimfuego View Post
Hi All,

I have a number of original disks that won't read, I was hoping I might be able to try reformatting them and writing back an adf to them on a real Amiga.
I have a HxC Floppy Emulator in my A1200. Is there any way I can use it as the source and copy out to an external floppy on the A1200 to write the disks?

Thanks.
Yes sure you can do this. You can use XCopy or any other copier to do this job with the HxC.
Old 18 June 2014, 11:23   #7
Vot

Yet again although.. There is no point mounting the disc via the hxc or gotek and coping to another if its just an adf... If you want to write a protected origional back to disc... Thats another matter.
Old 18 June 2014, 12:17   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I would strongly recommend not over-writing your original disks. Use some spare blanks and stick them in the box alongside.

If the Original diskettes don't work now, the chances are they won't work after being overwritten either.

If you *really* wanted to recover those particular diskettes (maybe because they have labels on them) then I would try a trusted guide to cleaning your disks.

They could simply be dirty/mouldy but the data intact.
Old 19 June 2014, 07:25   #9
vimfuego

Correct alexh, disks like Cannon Fodder that have nice ink printing on them (not some crappy sticker).
Old 25 June 2014, 00:48   #10
vimfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Yes sure you can do this. You can use XCopy or any other copier to do this job with the HxC.
Jeff, which copy mode should work in X-Copy for doing this?
I've tried all modes and none of the floppys are readable once written.
I even tried a few non game disks incase it was a protection issue but they still failed. I am just converting the .adf's to .hfe files, putting them on the HxC and copying them from the HxC to an external DF1 with X-Copy TNG.
Something I should mention, when I do this I think the HxC is overwriting the file on the SD card at the same time even though I see DF1 writing. I say that because usually the .hfe file ends up corrupted after trying to copy it.
I have no jumper on the HxC for DF1, only DF0.

Edit: Looks like my issues were that I had a floppy cable that was swapped, I moved the jumper to the opposite position on the HxC and it is copying from DF0 to DF1 (well, most of the time).

Last edited by vimfuego; 25 June 2014 at 09:22.