English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 December 2011, 21:04   #1
Djay
95th User

Daisy Chaining External Drives

Could there ever be a problem daisy chaining external drives that are the same make and model?

Assuming that both drives have no issues separately ...
Old 05 December 2011, 21:24   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

There shouldn't be as long as you've got enough beef in your power supply to run them and that you have no more than a total of four floppy drives (including internal ones).

Dave G
Old 05 December 2011, 21:27   #3
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
There shouldn't be as long as you've got enough beef in your power supply to run them and that you have no more than a total of four floppy drives (including internal ones).

Dave G
cool thanks for the info
Old 05 December 2011, 22:21   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

The recommendatrion is that no more than two external floppy drives are daisy-chained from your Amiga.

No matter how beefy the PSU might be, the supply current still has to pass along the printed tracks on your Amiga motherboard - hence the recommendation.
Old 06 December 2011, 00:48   #5
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The recommendatrion is that no more than two external floppy drives are daisy-chained from your Amiga.

No matter how beefy the PSU might be, the supply current still has to pass along the printed tracks on your Amiga motherboard - hence the recommendation.
The most i have ever had connected at one time is a dual drive, which i "lost" to my brother's friend sometime ago...

I read quite alot about power issues with using extra hardware, i currently have a standard PSU with my A1200, which has an CF HD, Accelerator and external floppy attached...

... so far not probs, so i am wondering what kinda stuff tops the output power of the standard PSU and forces you to go with a beefier one?
Old 06 December 2011, 11:06   #6
roy bates

hi,040 and overclocked 060 and ppc based cards needs beefy power supplys.
Old 06 December 2011, 11:36   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Where is that recommendation from? The Amiga hardware can handle 4 disk drives without any problems. I had 4 drives connected to my A500 for years (df0: plus 3 external drives) and there was not one single problem.
Old 06 December 2011, 11:55   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It was Commodore recommendation (it was in some manual, don't remember as usual..) but probably only because first Commodore's original external floppy drives were quite power hungry (and crappy too) and there was different wattage power supplies. (For example not all A500 supplies are the same, always check the label!)
Old 06 December 2011, 12:11   #9
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It was Commodore recommendation (it was in some manual, don't remember as usual..) but probably only because first Commodore's original external floppy drives were quite power hungry (and crappy too) and there was different wattage power supplies. (For example not all A500 supplies are the same, always check the label!)

id have to agree,although the person who asks has a 1200,which we all know is a very feeble supply,some 500 supplys are three times the output.
Old 07 December 2011, 01:40   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Quote:
Where is that recommendation from? The Amiga hardware can handle 4 disk drives without any problems. I had 4 drives connected to my A500 for years (df0: plus 3 external drives) and there was not one single problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It was Commodore recommendation (it was in some manual, don't remember as usual..) but probably only because first Commodore's original external floppy drives were quite power hungry (and crappy too)
Thanks, Toni. I didn't know that it was a Commodore recommendation. I was referring to a Power Computing Amiga PC880B User Manual.
Old 07 December 2011, 09:57   #11
Retro1234
Phone Homer

So technically you could have more than 4?
If so in theory if you just kept adding drives with out power supply being a problem where would it end?
Sad arent I
Old 07 December 2011, 10:00   #12
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
So technically you could have more than 4?
If so in theory if you just kept adding drives with out power supply being a problem where would it end?
Sad arent I

nope,four is the limit for any amiga.
Old 07 December 2011, 13:32   #13
Jope
-

The fifth one will not get a select signal, so it will just sit there sucking power, invisible to the OS and uncontrollable by the Amiga.
Old 08 December 2011, 05:37   #14
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The fifth one will not get a select signal, so it will just sit there sucking power, invisible to the OS and uncontrollable by the Amiga.
But you could do it???

A-Ha! And they said it couldn't be done..

desiv
(Sorry, vbscripting all day; much prefer bash..)
Old 08 December 2011, 09:17   #15
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
hm, could we in theory make few more drives work if a combination of select signals was used? like "if sel0=1 AND sel1=1 AND sel2=1 then select7=1"
it would require small 'decoder' in each drive and modification in software, obv.
but can Amiga hardware activate several select signals at same time?
Old 08 December 2011, 11:07   #16
Jope
-

Could be doable. Each external drive would have to be modified to pass through all externally accessible drive selects and you'd have to make each drive's ID setting permanent in addition to having your little decoder circuit in there.

Big box Amigas would require more mods, as DS1 is not present at the external drive connector.

There will be a limit to the length of the bus that the custom chips can drive, though.. I guess buffering the bus from the first external drive onwards might also be a good idea.. :-)

Edit: You could also just choose three lines (SEL POUT BUSY?) from the printer port and feed them to an adapter that sits between DF3: and DF4: to make it easier. This adapter could have the buffers and extra power feeds for the additional drives too.

What a stupid yet compelling project. :-)

Last edited by Jope; 08 December 2011 at 11:15.
Old 22 March 2020, 00:52   #17
c0dehunter

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I would like to see if I can daisy chain my external floppy drive and a GoTek drive that is connected to External Drive Adapter

(I am using this adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotek-Flopp....c100167.m2940)

My goal is to use GoTek as DF1 (bootable) and keep my internal DF0, and write .ADF files from GoTek to realy floppy diskettes, than I can later use on my internal Df0.

See my post here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...3&postcount=28

and
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85886

Thanks!