English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 August 2017, 23:13   #1
fragedthewife

my retro bright experience * cry *

Okay So I recently got an A500 which was as yellow to almost brown as you could get. Usual issues with old Amiga's

I read many posts on the forum and found a tutorial on you tube which looked good and within my capabilities, So I thought

This is the tutorial....

If you skip to 11 minutes and watch for a short time you will find the heated peroxide tutorial.

[ Show youtube player ]

I firstly put the Amiga top case in what little sun we had using peroxide cream 12% vol 40 wrapped in cling film, Yes it worked to some degree but I fell will require another going over for more hours, I will put this down to shortage of sun shine and heat, Typical Scottish weather.

Next up the keyboard which i gently dismantled washed up the keys put them into a large pot with some water and liquid peroxide, I managed to get a controlled temperature of around 60 oC

So In went they keys every 20 minutes or less I checked on them and gave a stir to move them around, and make sure of water levels.

1hr and 40 mins all was well and then at exactly the 2 hour point they keys have distorted and bent beyond any further use. ruined to be exact

The water temps were still the same as I done a quick test of the water before removing from the stove.

So in my personal experience this did not work well for me using an A500 keyboard please take this on board before attempting this method.

Now if anyone has an A500 set of keys Id love to hear from you.

* Once again this is my personal experience.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 August 2017, 23:40   #2
jotd
Cat freak

This has nothing to do with the peroxyde. The water temperature is probably the issue there.

I heard a method about removing glue from LEGO with hot water (note! it doesn't work either ) they said not to go above 70 degrees or the plastic is distorted. I guess it's the same issue here.
Old 26 August 2017, 00:08   #3
fragedthewife

Yes I guess your right, It did say that the plastics will not melt to over 200f
which is 93oC

Not in this case I suppose.
Old 26 August 2017, 07:49   #4
ajk

Are you certain the water temperature never got higher, for example at the bottom of the pot? It's pretty difficult to maintain a guaranteed, stable temperature with regular equipment

Still, A500s are very common so you should be able to find a new set of keys, or entire keyboard, or even an entire A500 for a reasonable price. Luckily you didn't try it on something more rare.
Old 26 August 2017, 10:58   #5
jotd
Cat freak

Like an Atari ST ok tough luck for you. There are so many A500s around, you'll find a cheap one (mine is yellow as hell and the return key doesn't work!)
Old 26 August 2017, 12:57   #6
pandy71

Plastic can be softened in lower temperatures - i would say with this type of precious stuff don't go over 45Cdeg (IMHO).
Old 26 August 2017, 18:16   #7
Akira

my retro bright experience * cry *

I would never follow most of the "advice" by this guy, he makes a lot of mistakes and says wrong shit very often. I can't believe how popular his Youtube channel is.

The only advantage to his "method" is time. Be patient and leave things out for longer until you get the result you want. You have unfortunately experienced first hand how imprecise this method is, you can't really get a controllable temperature on kitchen equipment. His "methods" are usually makeshift shit you shouldn't do.
Old 26 August 2017, 23:45   #8
fragedthewife

Yes a bit of a mistake and granted I got quite roped in with his presence and youtube channel.

I have managed to get a set of keys for a few pounds which I will try to clean up with simple peroxide cream and daylight.

Hopefully this post may deter others from making the same mistakes.
We live and learn
Old 30 August 2017, 19:59   #9
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
I still don't understand why people still retro bright..
I have done it, submerged a amiga600 in a 10% peroxide with distilled water and the results were fantastic. In 2 years time it was back to its old state. And that is in the Netherlands we don't do alot of sun here :-)
Old 30 August 2017, 20:05   #10
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragedthewife View Post
Yes a bit of a mistake and granted I got quite roped in with his presence and youtube channel.
The times we live in... Fact is his videos are frequently ridden with inaccuracies.
YouTube fame doesn't necessarily translate to expertise. Sadly you have proof of this now after ruining your computer parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
I still don't understand why people still retro bright..
I have done it, submerged a amiga600 in a 10% peroxide with distilled water and the results were fantastic. In 2 years time it was back to its old state. And that is in the Netherlands we don't do alot of sun here :-)
That's a good point, this is why most people who do this process rcommend you UV coating the pieces afterwards.

To me it's a lot of trouble, on my Amigas, they are OK and if they were to be brighter, it would freak me out! I like their color as part of the aging they have gone through, especially in my one Amiga that I have since the first day, still with me. I would never retrobright that.

But some plastics get really fucking nasty, like that shit-brown Mac LC garbage, or Super Famicom/Super Nintendo. In those cases, when it gets to brown rather than a mild yellow, I say "off with their heads" and retrobright away. But UV coat afterwards so you don't get turd color back again!
Old 31 August 2017, 00:15   #11
Mrz

the problem was the hot water which deform the plastic
some people put the plastic in the sun or use hot water, None of this is required, those tricks are just accelerators of the process

The best way and easiest method is the use of peroxid liquid, not cream ,
and there is no need to hot the peroxid or put in the sun or use UV Light, Take longer but work anyways

of course like Voyager said,retrobright is obsolete unless you live in void the outer space
The Earth's atmosphere is corrosive and yellow is going to come back

Last edited by Mrz; 31 August 2017 at 00:21.
Old 31 August 2017, 01:32   #12
fragedthewife

Seems yellow is the new white
AdSense AdSense