English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2009, 13:22   #21
asm1

Jeez this should be renamed "manic depressives" thread. Personally I dont know what you are all worrying about. Want a "dead" platform, try Acorn/Risc OS.... I'm astonished by the ammount of Amiga software and (new ish) hardware like scandoublers and the like. I might be missing something but the Acorn segment is FAR smaller than the Amiga one... granted the machines are around the same age, but the hardware is still very much alive and kicking.

Lets see, the Amiga goes as far back as 1985... in 1985 Acorn had the BBC series. Can a BBC Master Run Risc OS ? erm nope....

Can an Amiga 1000 run os 3.9 ? I'm sure it could with some expansions...

So for a 24 year old system to still be relatively current in terms of what the platform can do.... I'd say its far from dead.

No I'm not bashing Risc OS either.... but I feel that the Amiga has far more resources available to it than the equivalent Acorn, or the Ealiest Archimedes....

USB (yes I know you can put USB on a Risc PC, but anything earlier and you're screwed)
it'll go on an A1200. The Equivalent Acorn (A3000 series/4000/5000 ?) Forget it.

More than 8MB ram ? yup, most, if not all Amigas. Most Arcs are limited to 4/8mb. The A540 can have 16 and the Risc PC up to 256 MB with a kinetic card.

Software, hmm web browsers etc all available for both platforms. Amiga has a Vast catalogue of Games (far more than the Arch)

This is not meant to be a "whose best" argument - I started with an Acorn and 'm getting an Amiga, I love them both. The Amiga may not be at the forefront of technology any more (and it hasn't been for a LONG time) but please... its not dead. It will only die when there's no one left to keep the community going. Hardware is only plastic/metal/PCB's and will wear out eventually. People can and do find ways of keeping old things working (Radios are a typical example)

Of course it will get harder, but hopefully not for a few years yet.
Old 19 February 2009, 13:46   #22
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
It won't end, it's the computer that refuses to die. They'll eventually become self aware and instruct us on how to build their true successor, with the 3D and the magic-hands interface and the voice that can sing and immitate anyone.
Old 19 February 2009, 13:53   #23
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
what about end of the world in 2012?
Yeah, the pope was meant to be assassinated in 1998 too. Nostradamus lived 1/2 his life in a locked cellar full of opium smoke so he saw some pretty whacky stuff...

Wait - what was the topic?

Oh yeah. How many of us have MAME cabinets or at least the emu with Space Invader/Asteroids/Defender? Any time I have been to an arcade show they still have a cue. Amiga is the Alpha and the Omega (maybe it should have been spelt Amega )
Old 19 February 2009, 13:55   #24
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
It won't end, it's the computer that refuses to die. They'll eventually become self aware and instruct us on how to build their true successor, with the 3D and the magic-hands interface and the voice that can sing and immitate anyone.
I think SkyNet will build such an Amiga
Old 19 February 2009, 13:57   #25
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
No way. The Amiga will be too smart to destroy most of the worlds population. Maybe just owners of Atari STs
Old 19 February 2009, 13:58   #26
DH
Global Moderator

For me I'll be wired up and have the A1200 implanted inside my chest, so I'll live forever and never ever die. So the Amiga will live on for all of eternity
Old 19 February 2009, 14:00   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
You mean they have build it... ah I hate this time travel paradoxes
Old 19 February 2009, 14:04   #28
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
The Amiga is like the Magna Carta.

It will never be forgotton ...

Ask people around and hear 'em asking: Ammeega what ??
The truth of the matter is: the Amiga *has been* forgotten!
Old 19 February 2009, 14:23   #29
wilshy

I'll be in a mental home long before the death of other fans. Abuse of the brain
Old 19 February 2009, 14:31   #30
Predabot

Hrrm. I think there will continously be a small influx of new folks that never had an Amiga as a kid, drawn mostly to the games that came out on the Amiga, like me.

I never even knew the Amiga was meant to be a home-computer even, I just thought it was another console. Sort of. ( bit odd that a console had a keyboard...)

Basically, there are fans of 16-bit gaming, and sometimes they deplete games of interest on the Mame, Snes, and Genesis and then they sometimes find the Amiga, and then they've got a whole new platform to discover.
Old 19 February 2009, 15:54   #31
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliotg View Post
sorry.... I Imagined that cause your old avatar

Ok, I'll let you off!

That was actually Nat King Cole

I am of white-british origins
Old 19 February 2009, 16:00   #32
Ironclaw
Banned

Meh, "the true end of amiga" "amiga is soon gone" "blablabla for how long will it last"...

why do people make these stupid threads asking when amiga will be no more??

NO ONE KNOWS!!.. it's that simple
Old 19 February 2009, 16:01   #33
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
My eldest kid (10) is Amiga mad. He has his own a1200 with blizzard 030 and 4GB of WHDload goodness.... I wonder when he will lose interest...?
Old 19 February 2009, 16:06   #34
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

When his mates start taking the piss out of him for liking "old crap"
Old 19 February 2009, 16:14   #35
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Or when he figures out there are better things to play with.
Old 19 February 2009, 16:20   #36
Spectre

Send a message via MSN to Spectre
I disagree. Modern games are balls, they have nicer graphics but most don't have the playability that was commonplace during the golden age of computing. I have an xbox360 here and online gaming is the only real innovation I've seen in the last 20 years. It doesn't matter how many bells and whilstles you put on it, playability is still what counts and that fact is something which the generation gap does not hide.
Old 19 February 2009, 19:28   #37
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
I disagree. Modern games are balls, they have nicer graphics but most don't have the playability that was commonplace during the golden age of computing. I have an xbox360 here and online gaming is the only real innovation I've seen in the last 20 years. It doesn't matter how many bells and whilstles you put on it, playability is still what counts and that fact is something which the generation gap does not hide.
Totally agree with you there. I hardly ever play single player games on it. I got Fifa for example, its good once in a blue moon, but SWOS i could play forever.

Im sorry if this thread is morbid for some.
Old 19 February 2009, 19:32   #38
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
I agree with Spectre,
there is more than nostalgia going on when I play old games. There was something lost I believe when things went from 2d to 3d madness. I miss the old 2d games where playability had to be an attractive selling point.
Pz
Old 19 February 2009, 20:02   #39
asm1

Well I've just got Street fighter 4 in the post... I'll compare it to SFII when I get my miggy shall I?
Old 19 February 2009, 23:25   #40
Spectre

Send a message via MSN to Spectre
Haha, touche, I have a copy on it's way from play.com myself