English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 December 2008, 11:32   #1
onkelarie

Amiga Application museum

I'm currently expanding my Amiga Applications Museum with the possibility for everyone to chip in with their entries.

Adding applications is now possible to the database. More functions follow.

More info at:

http://www.spellendoos.nl/

Last edited by onkelarie; 13 December 2008 at 11:13.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:54   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@onkelarie

looks interesting and I have to admit, something the Amiga Scene really could do with.

what submissions are you accepting? TOSEC dats?
Old 10 December 2008, 12:03   #3
AmigaFriend

Really interesting, and a database that the Amiga community was in shortage of.

I've already registered and at adding an application it gave this error:

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '2)' at line 26

Last edited by AmigaFriend; 10 December 2008 at 12:17.
Old 10 December 2008, 12:10   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Isn't Josh together with BuZz doing something very similar right now? Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=40626
Might be a good idea to join forces
Old 10 December 2008, 12:16   #5
onkelarie

@zetro:

It's not conform the TOSEC dats at the moment. My primary goal is the creation of an open application database platform.

To what extend would a TOSEC dat format be useful, apart from a straight reference to the correct ADF's?

@Cyber:
It is very similar. I've been working with the idea for a longer time and I have been modelling the database for a while already. Tables like publishers, programmers, developers, etc are already defined and more are to follow.

I've given some input on their project as well, but at the moment it's lacking interaction. I've not yet heard any reply from them through that particular thread. It could very well be that they are working offline on things first.

But who knows what will result from both projects as in merging to one

Everyone is welcome to register of course and alpha-test with me.
Old 10 December 2008, 12:19   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@onkelarie

LOL, sorry my mistake, I mean my TOSEC data (all the applications) would your database be providing downloadable content?
Old 10 December 2008, 12:30   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@onkelarie
It's interesting that two minds come up with this idea almost at the same time Like I said in the other thread it's a good idea to have something like HOL for applications and tools too Hope you guys can manage to work together, so we don't end with two 'rival' database projects
Old 10 December 2008, 12:50   #8
onkelarie

@zetr0:

If possible (taking into account the intellectual property, copyrights and stuff) I will create an upload function as well to host the ADF files.

@Cyber:
It's just plain silly indeed I've come across other sites as well, but I never found a database as complete as HOL. Then again, this database is far, very far from HOL as well, but with (hopefully) the accessibility of this project, it will grow into something very useful.

Some info about the host www.spellendoos.nl: Several other websites are running on my host as well, one for quite a large dutch Dungeons and Dragons community. So be rest assured, I've got the domain already running for quite some time and I intend to keep it for quite some time... So continuity of the domain is guaranteed

Last edited by onkelarie; 10 December 2008 at 12:59.
Old 12 December 2008, 21:40   #9
onkelarie

it's now possible to add images to each application. Currently only jpg uploads are accepted. Next up is adding the developer section.
Old 13 December 2008, 09:33   #10
onkelarie

A small bug caused that no entries were seen when clicking on the alphabetical search while not logged in. It's now fixed.

New additions:
Large images pop up in Thickbox;
Random image / application on homepage;
Most viewed entries top 10;
Old 13 December 2008, 11:20   #11
hit

Edit: there was a php error, but just got fixed, it seems

beside this, very usefull project
Old 13 December 2008, 11:28   #12
onkelarie

I was just in the middle of adding a new function which crashed it for about 3 minutes

Old 13 December 2008, 11:41   #13
hit

hehe
such application db was really missing. glad you found the time to put this together
Old 14 December 2008, 01:26   #14
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

This is excellent, and as hit said it was missing.

I suppose you will tweak things as they go along as it's very very early days.

Would be good if there is a lossless screenshot format, and also maybe consider in the browsing 1 link per app (or per major revision to app), and then after that display all the different versions (either by another link page, or by a large expandable single page). I noticed there were so many versions of AMOS

The versions of a particular app(game) is something that is not provided by HOL apart from maybe a brief comment in the Notes section.
Old 14 December 2008, 03:09   #15
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Quote:
such application db was really missing.
Well, not quite. See here.
Old 14 December 2008, 12:00   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
it's now possible to add images to each application. Currently only jpg uploads are accepted. Next up is adding the developer section.
Get png support added! jpg aren't ideal for screenshots. (only for scans/photos really).
Old 14 December 2008, 13:39   #17
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Well, not quite. See here.
didnt knew about that; counting the entries, not really that big. onkelarie's design is even better. not that bloated
Old 14 December 2008, 13:51   #18
Harrison
classicamiga.com

@hit. Not that many entries yet due to working on the content alone so far. Currently there are only 109 applications, and some of them still require screenshots to be made. The rest of the CA staff are working on other area of the site at present.

Last edited by Harrison; 15 December 2008 at 04:36.
Old 14 December 2008, 15:09   #19
hit

so your project is also quite new? its sometimes strange, for a long time nothing, then these things just come up like mushrooms in autumn
Old 14 December 2008, 15:26   #20
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Yes, the software directory is fairly new. I completed the construction of the section early this year, but have not had much time to add actual content into it, as I still have so much more to do on the site in other areas, as does everyone else involved. As with all such projects, I don't think they will ever be fully completed regardless of how long you work on them.

I also recognised a while back that no one seems to be actively working on a directory of Amiga productivity software that could come close to any of the many existing directories for Amiga games or demos. Therefore I thought it a great idea to begin one.

And now it seems that two others have noticed this too and have had the same idea. I've already approached them both to see if they would like to pool resources and combine/share data between the projects. This way we can all expand them much faster than working alone. Lets hope this happens.

I think there is a much greater danger of the information for Amiga productivity software being lost to time, compared to games and demos, because as newer software is released for current platforms less and less people are continuing to use the old software. This is in contrast to games and demos, which continue to be played/watched and enjoyed just as much as ever. So the original disks, packaging, manuals etc, and the information they contain is being lost much faster as people discard the software to land fills.

Therefore a productivity software archive is very much needed to preserve this information.