English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 13 December 2013, 13:15   #21
coope1999

OK I'm going to open the thread again as I've noticed a couple of things. When I use AExplorer on my PC it shows the hdf for my 8 gig has only 3,617,280KB? I have run Check4gb and it is showing: 7626M but the check coloum shows * N. What does this mean?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 December 2013, 13:43   #22
mark_k

Maybe AExplorer on the PC uses a 32-bit variable to hold the HDF size, which overflows for HDFs larger than 4GB???

For example: 8,000,000,000 - 2^32 = 3,705,032,704.
3,705,032,704 / 1024 = 3,618,196
Old 13 December 2013, 14:00   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by coope1999 View Post
OK I'm going to open the thread again as I've noticed a couple of things. When I use AExplorer on my PC it shows the hdf for my 8 gig has only 3,617,280KB? I have run Check4gb and it is showing: 7626M but the check coloum shows * N. What does this mean?
I guess you need to patch the scsi.device then with newer, use loadmodule before your 'setpatch' command to load in a new scsi.device for example I have loadmodule in C: and my scsi.device in Devs:

In my startup-sequence I have:

C:LoadModule Devs:scsi.device

C:SetPatch QUIET

However this is for my Workbench 3.1 setup so I'm not 100% sure it's correct for your Classic Workbench 3.9 since you will have also BB2 trying to update the scsi.device!

I've attached by the way some different versions for you to try, I'm using Cosmos' with PFS3 without issues. Also includes the other tools you will need like LoadModule. (Taken from Classic Workbench)

When you run Check4gb it should say 'OK' the * you have indicates an issue and you should not use that partition!

Last edited by fitzsteve; 28 April 2015 at 00:48.
Old 13 December 2013, 14:37   #24
thomas

Quote:

This means that check4gb *thinks* that something is not ok. The reason is that check4gb does not know about pfs3aio. You can keep it like it is, it's ok.

I would keep my hands off software from outer space.

mark_k explained why the HDF appears smaller in AExplorer. It might just be the size calculation in the display, or AExplorer cannot deal with harddrives bigger than 4GB at all, I don't know.
Old 13 December 2013, 14:55   #25
coope1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I guess you need to patch the scsi.device then with newer, use loadmodule before your 'setpatch' command to load in a new scsi.device for example I have loadmodule in C: and my scsi.device in Devs:

In my startup-sequence I have:

C:LoadModule Devs:scsi.device

C:SetPatch QUIET

However this is for my Workbench 3.1 setup so I'm not 100% sure it's correct for your Classic Workbench 3.9 since you will have also BB2 trying to update the scsi.device!

I've attached by the way some different versions for you to try, I'm using Cosmos' with PFS3 without issues. Also includes the other tools you will need like LoadModule. (Taken from Classic Workbench)

When you run Check4gb it should say 'OK' the * you have indicates an issue and you should not use that partition!
Thanks very much for this. I've saved the file and will use as needed.
Old 13 December 2013, 14:59   #26
coope1999

Ok thanks again for all your input. I think the drive is actually reporting the correct size (apart from the missing 400meg) because as the drive fills up the %age is correct with reagrds how much is on it compared to the 7gig limit.

I'll keep my eye on things though. Usually I'd be doing a lot of what has been suggested in this thread but because of the amount of time I have spent on it (a whole weekend last month which the wife wasn't happy about!) I really need to leave it be whilst it is actually working.

Thanks again.
Old 13 December 2013, 15:59   #27
thomas

Quote:
The only thing I've noticed is that although the card should read 7.4gig it is only 7gig on the top of the window.
This is because PFS3 reserves a certain percentage of the partition for directory data. PFS3 strictly separates directory data from file contents. The amount of free space displayed by PFS3 is the space you can really use for file contents.

With other file systems, the entire partition is shown as free but when filled with files more space is used up than the sum of file sizes.

PFS still uses whole blocks, so if you have a file of 700 bytes it will take 1024 bytes (2 blocks of 512 bytes) of disk space. But with other file systems it would take 1536 or more bytes (3 or more blocks) because those file systems will occupy directory blocks only when needed.

In the same manner, creating a new directory on PFS will take up no space at all while with other file systems an empty directory would need some space in the data area.
Old 18 January 2014, 02:40   #28
fgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
... I have noticed PFS3 does not seem to play nice with some updated scsi.device's either.

I thought this way we could rule that out as being a problem and later use 'loadmodule' to load in another version such as Cosmos' which I find to work better with PFS3 (again just my experience I don't have the science as to why)

But I have set up 100's of CF cards now for many different people, perhaps I should have documented each individual issue I came across but as you know time is a luxury we don't all have.

There are a lot of people having issues with Classic Workbench 3.9 and CF cards and I think it's down to BB2's scsi device since problems magically go away when you use the skipromupdates 'scsi.device' command. With more and more people using this version of Classic Workbench it's becoming a regular support question on these boards.
This got me curious..

I guess this is happening with 4GB cards as well, since you choose to remove the scsi.device patch?

Does it happen with PFS3AiO, with regular PFS3, regular PFS3DS or all of them?
Have you been using correct dostypes when using regular PFS3/PFS3DS? (50445303/PDS03 for DS and 50465303/PFS03 for everything else?)

A question for Thomas:
As the original PFS3 does not support NSD, and all the scsi device patches except idefix only support NSD, is there a chance these scsi.device versions attempt to access anything below 4GB with NSD commands?

Good night!

Edit: One more thing, I remember you Steve (and Mfilos) were unhappy with the 44.2 version and PFS3. Are you having the same or different problems with the BB2 version (43.43)?
Old 18 January 2014, 11:48   #29
thomas

Quote:
As the original PFS3 does not support NSD, and all the scsi device patches except idefix only support NSD, is there a chance these scsi.device versions attempt to access anything below 4GB with NSD commands?
No, NSD commands are rejected with an "unknown command" error code.

The wrap-around problem is only an issue of file systems which don't know about large harddrives (for example FFS V40 or below). File systems like PFS or SFS try to use a 64bit API (for example TD64 or NSD) and if this fails (because the API is not implemented), they refuse to mount the partition.
AdSense AdSense