English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 11 September 2014, 09:54   #1
attle

Eek How to fit VXL-30 in A500 securely?

Hi all
I recently was lucky to get a VXL-30 board with the RAM add-on. It's a BIG card, and I noticed I was getting green screens frequently. The card seems to sit pretty loosely in the CPU socket, by pressing the card down over the socket the Amiga booted again.

There are two screw holes at the bottom and some plastic spacers under the card but not much else. Do you guys have any tips on how the card could be secured to the socket? Preferably without glue

Pic of the card(s):

http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/vxl30,2

I was actually thinking of putting the mobo + VXL in a tower, but I'm not so sure it's even possible to have the VXL fitted vertically.
Old 06 November 2014, 09:29   #2
Damion

A little late to the party here... :-P

First, that's a nice card there you got, especially with the RAM add-on.

Quote:
Do you guys have any tips on how the card could be secured to the socket?
It looks to me that you could get a long tie-strap under the motherboard 68000 socket (at least my recollection is that there is room to do this), and then tightened down over the top of the accelerator board, preferably with some foam (or similar) around the edges where the strap contacts the board, so it doesn't leave marks when tightened down. Also not _too_ tight with the strap, just barely enough to keep the board level and somewhat more secure (otherwise your socket goes snap). A few more spacers might help, too.

Part of the problem is that the motherboard CPU socket was cheap to begin with, now it's 25 years old. Replacing it with a quality machine pin socket would be ideal IMHO.