English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 September 2009, 01:02   #41
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Yeah, I agree :
Version independent WinUAE config loading is nice too.
It's not really that I am afraid to update, and I was impressed with the latest improvements just as you were.

First, with emulators, I loosely follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. For example, 1964 is still working fine with N64 roms loading & plugins set despite the fact its dev. has been halted. So I keep using it, along with Project64. If things can be sorted out without updating, count Deli in !

Then, I have a much faster computer than I once had, and if someone with a low specs one asks for advice, last thing I want is him turning away from WinUAE because it would put his computer on its knees (I myself never needed to play with the CPU idle slider, btw).

Constantly updated software which would not require a more powerful computer overtime is very uncommon these days (except in we're talking TextPad or similar). It's not unlikely I was mistaken into thinking post 1.4.6 versions were significantly slower, but at the same time, I don't think it would be very honest to say latest stable would run equally fast than say v0.8.27 (if you'd forfeit on the numerous enhancements in terms of features).

Also, I believe v1.4.6 was an exceptional release in terms of stability and bug fixes .
(but moar was yet to come with better CD32 emulation handling !).

Last, I found it easier for me to examine broadly tested WinUAE's. I am not too good with reporting bug issues for early releases on such a complex piece of software (and I simply put too much effort in configuring my Host settings to deal with garbled audio or video). Kudos to those who have chosen to deal upfront with the betas . Call it being a wary user, if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I'll make a nice chart to sum up the results, eventually.
No need for that with such an excellent CD32 site in one's bookmarks !

Last edited by NewDeli; 11 September 2009 at 04:56.