English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CARE

Old 18 May 2006, 15:05   #1
The Master

Thumbs up Future Projects?

I Take You Have Played Kid Chaos OCS do You Not think A Hacked Sprite and or general editing of levels if possible would provied A gOOd ReSulT Yeah I rEal Like The IDea Of A perfect Mega Drive Version On AMiga But This Will Never Happen But what About SONYC For The Msx And GBa This Is Not Based On The Meda Drive Version And I Quite Like The Master Sytem Version

The idea of this thread was to get a sonic the hedgehog project going on the classic amiga or any other project of converting classic games to classic amiga one idea was above but couldnt find any info on editing sprites like you can on other consoles
another was the extension of the sonic attack demo but the programmer who did that thought that was a silly idea in the end peolpe thought i was being f*cking stupid and i ended the thread it has now been restored not sure why? ? but if anyone would like add anything then great .

Last edited by The Master; 12 June 2006 at 21:03. Reason: Posts restored

Old 18 May 2006, 20:07   #2
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

I don't believe a OCS Amiga could handle an accurate version of Sonic 1, although I think an AGA Amiga could. The Genesis has tile-based graphics hardware, and a larger on-screen pallet than in non-HAM Amiga modes (although the Amiga has a larger color gamut, as you have four bits per RGB component as opposed to the Genesis' three). There is a disassembly of Sonic 1 out there, but one would have to convert the graphics to a format suitable for an Amiga engine, and then rewrite the whole graphics engine to handle the Amiga's planar bitmap graphics as opposed to the Genesis' semi-chunky tile graphics.
Old 18 May 2006, 20:10   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

Mr nutz has some likeness of the sonic moves.. like running around in a loop..... circle thingy...
Old 18 May 2006, 20:25   #4
Frog

there was an OCS musicdisk by DCS : Sonic Attack with a very good Sonic conversion that proove that an amiga OCS could do it. It's a bit like Doom can't be done on AGA computer then after people have done some good C2P, there was some good Doom engine.
It can't be done until it's proove. That was a bit the spirit of the origin of the demo, making thing that you think is impossible.
Old 18 May 2006, 20:29   #5
keropi

The megadrive can display 64 colors of a 512 color pallete.
A stock A1200 could not have a quality sonic-like game I think... it would have to compete with the 68000/14 the MD has + it's gfx chips + the Z80 for sound... on the other hand a 030 aga amiga could do it I think.... anyone knowing something more?
Old 18 May 2006, 21:46   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Will you stop bloody posting with the gay lame capitals...

Please observe and use proper English.. L337 sp34k is so 90's!!!!

----

And hacking the sonic sprite into kid chaos is pointless. the game is STILL kid chaos just with the sonic sprites!!! jeez
Old 18 May 2006, 21:53   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

He's 'the master', he do as he pleases .
Old 18 May 2006, 22:49   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
He's 'the master', he do as he pleases .
Not on this forum
Old 19 May 2006, 19:47   #9
blade002
Zone Friend

After seeing what came out for the Amiga over its final years of strong support, i must say that i think almost anything can be done with the Amiga in the 2D realm. The A500 was pushed that little bit further each and every year!. And although the Amiga probably couldnt scroll that quickly in 64 colours, the artwork in Sonic was far from Impressive,!.. it could have easily looked just as good in 32 on the Amiga with the right graphic artist.

So many were proven so wrong over the course of the Amiga's history in what could and couldnt be done. This is no different..
Old 19 May 2006, 20:37   #10
keropi

@The Master: STOP writting like a retard... and STOP THE F*CK*NG TROLLING
Old 19 May 2006, 21:33   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Master I have sent you a PM please read it and observe thanks.

Now to your post..

If you think the Amiga can handle sonic then that is all good and well. Butchering another Amiga game with sonic sprites is NOT bringing sonic to the amiga..

Please feel free to butcher kid chaos yourself.. but if you really want to bring the amiga a sonic game then get your ass into gear and write one.

Or you could get a project going. Get yourself a decent amiga asm programmer, a good graphician and sfx person and get it programmed..

Otherwise shut-up whinging about lack of sonic on amiga!
Old 20 May 2006, 02:41   #12
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Master I have sent you a PM please read it and observe thanks.

Now to your post..

If you think the Amiga can handle sonic then that is all good and well. Butchering another Amiga game with sonic sprites is NOT bringing sonic to the amiga..

Please feel free to butcher kid chaos yourself.. but if you really want to bring the amiga a sonic game then get your ass into gear and write one.

Or you could get a project going. Get yourself a decent amiga asm programmer, a good graphician and sfx person and get it programmed..

Otherwise shut-up whinging about lack of sonic on amiga!
Yeah i must agree that the Amiga hardly needs to have Sonic. Afterall there were so many much better games released for the Amiga over the years, so why would you bother?. I was personally never a fan of Sonic anyway.. but technically it could have been done although it doesnt need to be.
Old 02 June 2006, 07:12   #13
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
there was an OCS musicdisk by DCS : Sonic Attack with a very good Sonic conversion that proove that an amiga OCS could do it. It's a bit like Doom can't be done on AGA computer then after people have done some good C2P, there was some good Doom engine.
It can't be done until it's proove. That was a bit the spirit of the origin of the demo, making thing that you think is impossible.
I've known of Sonic Attack for quite a while, but that "conversion" was quite limited compared to the actual game. I'm unsure about the actual capabilities of the DCS engine, but you could only scroll in one direction like NES Super Mario Bros, and there wasn't much in the way of objects or level design. It was still a nice demo, but nothing on the level of a real Sonic game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
The megadrive can display 64 colors of a 512 color pallete.
A stock A1200 could not have a quality sonic-like game I think... it would have to compete with the 68000/14 the MD has + it's gfx chips + the Z80 for sound... on the other hand a 030 aga amiga could do it I think.... anyone knowing something more?
Actually, Sonic games display more when the water level is onscreen, but that could be handled with the Amiga copper no problem, I would imagine. The MD has only a 7MHz 68k (not 14MHz), tile-based graphics at 16 colors per tile and usually 40x28 tiles for the visible screen (unless you switch to a 32x28 mode). Use of the Z80 is not required for sound, as Sonic 1 only used the Z80 for PCM samples, leaving the FM side up to the 68k. Games that used samples could also use up to 5 FM channels and 3 PSG channels (PSG same as that in the Master System), and each of the FM channels can be selectively panned left, right, or both, as opposed to the 4 hardpanned sample channels of the Amiga. The MD also has shadow/highlight functions, of which shadow is similar in result to EHB. S/H mode isn't used in the main Sonic games (except in Sonic 2 for the special stage, and when you enable a special debug mode). The harder part would be handling parallax - the Genesis has two independent background layers, and each tile within can be set to high or low priority. Sprites have a priority bit as well, so you have six total levels of depth - from top to bottom, high S, high A, high B, low S, low A, low B. Sonic games make use of this, too, for the loops and the small pieces of foreground scenery that appear in front of Sonic.
Old 02 June 2006, 13:53   #14
Ray Norrish

The sonic "game" in sonic attack was just a joke. I had dozens of sprites for the main character, and also some background graphics, so made a quick credit part.
Of course it could have scrolled both ways, had rings to collect and all manner of other things, but hey.. it was a credit section.. and a hidden part at that!

If I remember, it had many layers of parallax and used some copper fx for waterfalls and water.. but there was still plenty of scope to improve on the concept... it looked and sounded nice enough at the time though.
Old 02 June 2006, 21:11   #15
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
hey just for you to know, an A1200 can do graphically what a CPS1 games can do !!

i have launch Final fight and strider arcade on it, WOW slow but beautiful !

check mame 030 for A1200 expanded with a 030 blizzard IV, yes it's slow,

but the AGA chip alone CAN handle so much colors and complex program.

for mame amiga, the C part are unoptimised and very slow. They should have make direct processor use to process the 68k rom games.

hey codetapper and other brilliant coders out there, any thoughts on this ?
Old 02 June 2006, 21:17   #16
keropi

is there any recent amiga mame? a ppc version?
Old 03 June 2006, 15:24   #17
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
hey just for you to know, an A1200 can do graphically what a CPS1 games can do !!

i have launch Final fight and strider arcade on it, WOW slow but beautiful !

check mame 030 for A1200 expanded with a 030 blizzard IV, yes it's slow,

but the AGA chip alone CAN handle so much colors and complex program.

for mame amiga, the C part are unoptimised and very slow. They should have make direct processor use to process the 68k rom games.

hey codetapper and other brilliant coders out there, any thoughts on this ?
Yeah the AGA chipset never really got as much as chance to be shown its true power as the OCS/ECS chipsets did. We would have seen some really impressive titles for the 1200 if Commodore hadnt gone bust.
Old 04 June 2006, 03:34   #18
redblade
Zone Friend

Lionking and Aladdin were nice games.

@dlfsilver: I think if you look google for "arcade assembler programming" some arcadedev site comes up.

they have source code available for some of the arcade machines, ie a DataEast Dragon Ninja machine which used the 68k as the main cpu.

Perhaps if you could get that running smoothly then perhaps it would be easy to port similar games?

--
Also I think there was a thread on here about amiga hardware support getting better in Mame.

Perhaps the Mame Amiga hardware Arcade games should be considered first for porting?
Old 04 June 2006, 17:13   #19
The Master

thank you for relpy i did start a amos sonic project with master system sprites but could not get it how i wanted also cant seem to register at the amos homepage you havent been talking to them have you?Ha Ha

i had sonic runnig on a master system emulator but its to slow think it was AMIMASTER what kind of amiga would you need to get this up to normal speed ive tryed UAE at top settings but its not perfect?

soz ive have seen sonic attack before didnt know it came from sonic attack demo its on net as SONIC.ADF its ok i just cant belive they/u stopped shorely the programer caried on for there own interest/curiosity it scrolls nicely is there any source available
sonic attack? anyone been listing to hawkwind

yeah boy i can play the game

Last edited by The Master; 07 June 2006 at 19:33.

Old 04 June 2006, 17:20   #20
keropi

amimastergear runs at 100% speed on my 060/60 ...