English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 April 2016, 15:09   #1
SkulleateR

Another A600 mobo giving headaches

So, after recaped my A600 I took out my spare mobo which I allready reworked for fitting into a tower (made joy ports external, Amiga Keyboard Adapter for connecting A4000 Keyboard) and made a recap on that too

I also tried several times while soldering if it still works but I did no long tests

Now after being finished I noticed something odd : After several minutes of work the output gets black/white only and one or two minutes later power LED fades away and A600 stops working, any ideas which caps this could cause ?
Old 19 April 2016, 15:19   #2
kipper2k

It sounds like it is heat related, as the temperature of something increases then it chokes off power somewhere. Starting with a cold a600 measure the heat of each chip and monitor the temp rise up to the point where it dies. If you have a multmeter measure the voltage on 5v rail to see if it starts dropping too.

You can use the pdf for the a600 at amigawiki to see which caps are actually filtering the 5v supply line, it is also possible the psu is weak too

http://www.amigawiki.de/doku.php?id=...ice:schematics
Old 19 April 2016, 15:32   #3
SkulleateR

PSU is not the problem, tested my A1200 Tower PSU allready which powers my A1200 for hours without a problem.

Will have a look at the schematics and try to figure it out, thx.
Old 19 April 2016, 15:35   #4
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
PSU is not the problem, tested my A1200 Tower PSU allready which powers my A1200 for hours without a problem.

Will have a look at the schematics and try to figure it out, thx.
Caps you would be interested in first would be those shown under "general decoupling""

it is possible to actually remove them one at a time and test without them, it will reach a point of failure eventually but if it was recapped then this could be the reason, either a bad cap, or a cold solder joint
Old 19 April 2016, 18:28   #5
bebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
So, after recaped my A600 I took out my spare mobo which I allready reworked for fitting into a tower (made joy ports external, Amiga Keyboard Adapter for connecting A4000 Keyboard) and made a recap on that too

I also tried several times while soldering if it still works but I did no long tests

Now after being finished I noticed something odd : After several minutes of work the output gets black/white only and one or two minutes later power LED fades away and A600 stops working, any ideas which caps this could cause ?
Remove all of them and see if issue goes away. It will work without them, except audio ...