English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 07 March 2017, 23:39   #21
Spacemonkey

Repair Hard drive Prep

In preparation I've made a recovery hard drive with a SiliconDrive II Compact Flash card (P\N 2GB SSD-C02G-4300). This will be used to via the boot-menu to temporary use to install OS to the main hard disk.

Partitions
Partition Size Bootable Priority Notes
WB31 124 MB Y -10 Cloanto's 3.1 Workbench HDF
Emergency-Boot 248 MB Y -10 Copied from OS 3.9 + PFS3_AIO & PFSFormat
AmigaOS3.9 700 MB N N\A Copied from OS 3.9
Files 880 MB N N\A

Compact Flash Card

HDToolBox

WB3.1

Emergency-Boot

AmigaOS3.9

Files

Disk

Boot-Menu
Old 13 March 2017, 19:44   #22
Spacemonkey

Speed Test baseline

As a baseline benchmark Stock A600 with 2 MB RAM with a PFS3 disk

Old 13 March 2017, 19:50   #23
Spacemonkey

Fitting Vampire

Its alive !!!!

There is a fine line when securing the vampire and making good contact with the 68000 processor.
Old 13 March 2017, 20:06   #24
Spacemonkey

Amiga OS 3.9

Having a pre patched OS 3.9 Rom update saves a lot of time as i found out the hard way, but running OS 3.9 @ 1280x720 is a brilliant

A 6.4 time increase in the disk speed is nice can't wait to try Gold core 3.

Things to sort out next weekend
  • Clock: The RTC clock in the A604N is not working, i'm hoping its just the battery.
  • Gotek, One of the buttons (up\down) is not working again i hoping is just poor soldering and not me damaging it with my ham fisted soldering skills
  • Networking. Ran out of time trying to debug RoadShow and DHCP
  • Updating system, Installing software & creating a baseline backup
  • Setting up SDCard

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11 May 2017 at 01:56. Reason: typo
Old 27 March 2017, 14:58   #25
Spacemonkey

Weird !!!!

After getting nowhere with the clock looks like is now faulty, I decided to get the network up and running, Installed RoadShow 1.12 with the latest 3c589 drivers from Aminet and what should have been a 2 minute job when downhill fast.

With default setting it would not get an IP address and the link light when off when starting the network stack. In debug mode it was clearly not getting an IP and with the limited logging on the BT homeHub 5 I couldn't see any requests. Using a fixed IP was no better, unable to ping any other device on the network. It also showed the MAC address as 00:00:00:00:00:00

So i decided to setup up DietPi on a 1st gen raspiberry PI and running a DHCP server, this failed too. Did i have a faulty card.
Bought another PCMCIA network adapter (didn't turn up in time)
Then tried a clean install of WorkBench 3.1 + Roadshow onto a 256MB compact flash and booted via the early boot menu. This didn't help as there were boot issue with a library crashing on starting RoadShow (Didn't bother to investigated)
Then I accidently ran the 3C5689 configure file from the workbench 3.1 hard disk as it had the config file in the root of the disk like the OS3.9 disk for testing purposes. Boom it shows the mac address of the card and more importantly it gets an IP address from the DCHP server. But still unable to ping some progress maybe an issue with the 3c589 config file on the OS 3.9, copied the working config to the main disk. Shutdown the network and launch via shell same issue no address, no MAC address (hmmm weird). Use the MD5 tool from aminet (http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/md5) to check for corruption. Both file have the same hash values.
Ok, I’m starting the think MAX transfer issue or some corruption in Roadshow. uninstalled and Reinstalled RoadShow. No same issue.
Test a data copy with a large quarterback backup file (100MB), all ok no issues.
At this point I’m really running out of ideas and getting bored so I decided to take the dogs out to the beach and then do something more interesting with my Amiga when I get back.

On to retesting the faulty RTC without the Indivision ECS Scandoubler connected to the A604N.

All is still broken with the RTC (Same from a wb 3.1 floppy) looks like it’s going back, and the day is really turning in to a complete washout.
On to testing GOLD 3 beta on my Vampire which has some big IDE speed improvements. Good News 6.2 MB\Sec
I then wanted to test the difference between the Lycom ST-173-7 adapter and using a generic IDE to mSATA adapter (ebay special) with the same 16GB mSATA no difference still 6.2MB\Sec
The big shock is the clock and Roadshow is now working WTF !!!!! How does an IDE convertor effect the RTC and the networking?
Old 25 April 2017, 10:34   #26
Bprepared

Love your work, so much in fact that I have been inspired to do something similar with, particularly since I've managed to pick up an identical case with a SUM USB keyboard adapter for £40, will probably make a few tweaks to the configuration though, like adding an ATAPI CD-Rom drive.
Old 25 April 2017, 19:30   #27
Spacemonkey

Front Panel designer file

This is a slightly later version of the front panel from the one i had made
Attached Files
File Type: zip Amiga 600.zip (1.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 13 June 2017, 19:35   #28
spannernick
Retro Nuts

WOW,I had my A500 in a metal case in the 90s to make it look the A1500,the dam keyboard dropped on my foot and and it dam hurt had a black toe for a long time.

Nice job BTW.Love to get the Vampire v2 for mine.
Old 12 July 2017, 19:23   #29
Spacemonkey

I'll try to host the images somewhere else and update the images link within this topic