English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 October 2006, 10:31   #21
blade002
Zone Friend

Well i suppose we can see it this way. Weve been screwed and screwed and screwed over and over by promises that have never come true.

But if someone or some company does try to revive some semblence of the Amiga, then no matter who is behind it, its still going to be baby steps and every achievement doesnt happen overnight. The reason why most people give up, is because they want a result sooner rather than later.

We have been waiting 12 years for a result though, and nothing has come of it. People quit though because they dont think big, its too hard or they tell themselves it will never happen, so it never does. Maybe one day it will, but that one day had better be soon and with better ideas behind it.

Most of us seem to spend everyday posting on this board. So there must be something more behind where we would like the Amiga to be other than a hobby. On the other hand though, what made the Amiga great is something that will be hard to replicate all over again.
Old 01 October 2006, 14:26   #22
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murakami
I have no real interest in Windows for anything more than crashes, spywares and viruses. ;-)
Yeah it's what happens when a computer is still popular.
Old 01 October 2006, 15:03   #23
Murakami
Zone Friend

I don't think Windows is so popular. It's just the only choice you are presented to when you're going to buy a computer. Many people would buy something else if it's available.
Old 01 October 2006, 17:16   #24
Ultron
Something

Quote:
I have no real interest in Windows for anything more than crashes, spywares and viruses. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Got an XP box running 24\7, for months, probably years(?), never crashed, no virus, no spyware. Use it regularly. Hell, i'm typing from it.

Gotta be nice to comment on something you know zilch about, apparently.
Old 01 October 2006, 17:17   #25
Ultron
Something

Just wait 2 more weeks!!!1!one!1!!
Old 01 October 2006, 17:39   #26
Murakami
Zone Friend

@Ultron

I use Windows every day and it's a really instable system which has no reactivity at all. Windows suxx. Any other system is really better : Linux, MacOS, AmigaOS, BeOS !
Old 01 October 2006, 18:51   #27
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
@Ultron

I use Windows every day and it's a really instable system which has no reactivity at all. Windows suxx. Any other system is really better : Linux, MacOS, AmigaOS, BeOS !
Running both WinXP on a PC here and have a Powermac dual G5 with OSX, have to say I haven't had any instability issues ever with WinXP or Win2000 but Windows isn't the most reponsive OS around , hope Win Vista will be better
Old 01 October 2006, 20:23   #28
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Ehm..Mac OS is nowhere near as ubiquitous as Windows, (5-6 % of US market, but that is huge in itself), and Mac has no spyware, viruses or the ilk.
Old 01 October 2006, 20:24   #29
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru64
Oh Man. I can hardly believe this shit I am reading.

the new hardware Samantha, blablabla. some CPU with 500MHz and an ATI Radeon Mobility M9 integrated graphic chip, with 64Mb ram DDR, and even some PCI Slots.

Where can I order this State of the Art piece of hardware. I know this will be the revival of Amiga and beginning of it's World Domination. crushing Microsoft Intel and AMD alltogether

...as presented on Pianeta Amiga
Is this some garage meeting of 3 guys and their dogs? cant be much more.

sorry. this is just too funny to read.

Amiga

PS. guess I can throw my Intel Core2Duo (~6GHz) and GeForce 7900GT in the thrash this christmas
PPS. Makes me wonder if I shouldn' label my old Pentium garbage machines "Amiga 2006" and sell it to some weirdos for OS4 usage.
funny
Old 01 October 2006, 21:22   #30
guru64
Oldskool God

about M$ Windows XP:
I also don't like Microsoft and all the crap they are pulling off, but I still use XP as my main OS. Why? Well, anyone who understands the basics of computer-technology, knows a little about the machines internals can pretty much make it a stable and enjoyable system. I don't even have a Virus Backgroundscanner running and still haven't had a virus in years. I just know that I don't use IE to surf the net and I don't use Outlook to read my mails. Occasionally I run a virus scan, that's about it. Having a nice firewall running also helps. Turning off XP "spyware" is also pretty easy. After installing the OS just run xpantispy or similar, and your on the save side.

I'd rather keep XP and not install vista, since I hate all DRM crap and similar efforts by M$ & Co.

For servers I only use Debian Linux. Windows is definitely NO option there.

At home I use a modded xbox(1) to watch DVDs, videos, play Mame,c64, and some Amiga games. pretty cool system! better than a real DVDplayer!

Last edited by guru64; 01 October 2006 at 22:58.
Old 13 October 2006, 11:25   #31
Flink

Look people,

I was really tempted to buy an AmigaONE with AmigaOS4 and do some developing on the system. I was sad to see that the boards were no longer being produced, even if they were so expensive.

What's important now is that we are not talking vaporware anymore; the A1 was around, it worked, and so did AmigaOS4. Heck yeah, it was damn expensive, and it sure would take a pretty enthusiastic Amigan (or a long time one that learned a lot during those times, like me) to shell out for a board. But the ice has been broken.

All we need now is a cool, new, cheap(er) board to run OS4 on. That's not so difficult to achieve, and I believe that Samantha is going on the right direction using the industrial and embedded sector as a "take off" platform.

Actually, that's exactly what I want: a cool, silent, small form factor Amiga system to develop on. For fun. Maybe such a system could in fact re-unite
some of the old-time Amigans, and create a healthy community around it. It doesn't have to be a Quad Xeon Woodcrest with 8GB of RAM and a Quadro FX 4500. We all know how efficient AmigaOS is, and how creative the Amiga community is/was, and targeting bleeding edge technology wouldn't make the system affordable.

Bottom line is, I think some of you are being a little over-pessimistic. We all moved on computer-wise, but if you were realistic, you would see the system was already out there and working, for a huge price. People who have their AmigaONEs seem to be thrilled with them, so all we need is a new, cheaper board. And that *seems* to be happening.

Windows can be made to work reliably if you know your way around it (most people don't). What it lacks SERIOUSLY is workflow, it's always getting in the way of your work. MacOS X is probably the best OS out there hands down. Linux is great for geeks, embedded systems and simple/dedicated-use computers. I trully believe there would be a place for the Amiga in this varied World!

If it does come to fruition, I'd love to see how many of you would re-unite to create a new community, based on the spirit of the old one? I know I'll be there, I love the "feeling" the Amiga gave me while enjoying computing!

P.S.: I'd love to have such a board selling on the 100-150 Euro mark; it would be a great viable choice for lots of embedded work on my company! I would need Java though, but I would help at making it available for the system!

Old 13 October 2006, 12:07   #32
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
I would love to buy a board capable of running OS4 for under 200 Euro, but realistically, that will never happen.
Old 13 October 2006, 14:50   #33
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Quote:
I don't think Windows is so popular. It's just the only choice you are presented to when you're going to buy a computer. Many people would buy something else if it's available.
The only choice? I have installed in my system along with XP Suse Linux and Aros, Amithlon and soon will try Amiga XL under Qnx. So xp it's the only choice? HA!. The only thing that makes me keep the xp partition is for games and of course Winuae!. So i have plenty of flavors already to be chosen such as bsd, haiku, etc..., so i think that a pc has more options in regard to os that you have said.
Old 13 October 2006, 15:02   #34
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

"All we need now is a cool, new, cheap(er) board to run OS4 on."

There has been some of these boards, but the genius behind the project choose to stick to exclusive and overproced hardware.

"and targeting bleeding edge technology wouldn't make the system affordable."

What?, are you saying that x86 boards aren't cheap?. Yeah, a low end ppc board is better because is exclusive hardware etc..etc...
Old 05 November 2006, 22:44   #35
dambuster
Zone Friend

Must admit i quite fancy a Dragon 1200 board with the coldfire cpu, and the quoted price is palletable, wont have to earn too many brownie points.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:22   #36
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

isnt the Dragon even more "mythical" than Samantha and Efika?
Old 04 January 2007, 09:25   #37
shillard

I thought it was based on a Tesla drawing, and had the anti-grav and perpertual motion chips as standard?
Old 04 January 2007, 18:00   #38
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
isnt the Dragon even more "mythical" than Samantha and Efika?
Rather not. You seem not to be up-to-date. Dragon has been already demonstrated in work. I think this news item should interest you as well as links to the movies on Elbox page. You should also check out other Amiga news portals and news that concern this event.
Old 04 January 2007, 19:35   #39
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The Dragon looks grate But can it run PPc native on it processor Can it run Os4?
Old 04 January 2007, 19:58   #40
mailman
Zone Friend

Good question. I need to investigate about PPC but I am 100% percent that it cannot run OS4.