English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2018, 20:34   #21
Akira

I would definitely contact amigastore.eu about your problems.

When my ACA620 was showing issues, I contacted Amigakit and they took it back and ended up having to replace it. Soon after I had the grounding issues and teh card was popping off the socket, and Jens sent me some of the washers that did not come with my unit. The ACA620 worked great ever since.

As a customer it's only fair you contact whoever sold the thing to you if you are experiences issues with it (and not like, with a third party peripheral. The card was sold to you as compatible and should be compatible)
Old 22 May 2018, 02:54   #22
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I would definitely contact amigastore.eu about your problems.

When my ACA620 was showing issues, I contacted Amigakit and they took it back and ended up having to replace it. Soon after I had the grounding issues and teh card was popping off the socket, and Jens sent me some of the washers that did not come with my unit. The ACA620 worked great ever since.

As a customer it's only fair you contact whoever sold the thing to you if you are experiences issues with it (and not like, with a third party peripheral. The card was sold to you as compatible and should be compatible)
Thanks for your answer. Seems I have got it stable now by not using shadowrom and cache. Loosing a bit of performance. Hopefully I can have these enabled when I get the SD card and adapter.

Also, I will probably switch all my CF cards over to PFS3aio just to be safe.

Will probably post once I get the SD card and adapter

Last edited by turrican9; 22 May 2018 at 04:23.
Old 27 May 2018, 17:56   #23
turrican9

Okay. The above mentioned setup still had freezes now and then.

Here is the deal. When I bought this accelerator last year from amigastore.eu I sent them a message asking for grounding screws and spacers for the Furia. This was after I had recieved my package. Also mentioning a floppy power and data cable they forgot to put in the package. I got no answer so I just left it at that. Didn't want to spend time since it was not a big deal. I knew the Furia came without them but they came with my ACA 620 and I knew the importance of proper grounding on that one. ACA 620 would not be stable without the grounding screws.

In my attempts lately I have tried to use a grounding wire that was screwed on with one of those PC motherboard spacers (metal) on the top of the furia and those plastic spacers that came with the Furia on the bottom to secure the wire. Then it was connected to the A600 motherboard via the front grounding point. Where you screw the motherboard to the case.

This was very unstable, especially when shadowrom was on.

Yesterday I did a few things:

- Secured the grounding wire to the Furia using a screw with a metal nut on the other side (This grounding wire, nut and screw came with my Indi AGA MK2). I would of course have used screws and spacers to secure it to the grounding holes beneath the Furia if I just could get hold of fitting ones.

- Cleaned the pins of the CPU with isoprop

- Deleted the last partition on the Sandisk card and made it 10 to 20 Megabytes smaller. Due to reports of the Furia being stable if you just leave a few megabytes available when you partition CF card. which at the time is using PFS3 AIO 3.0 file system.

One or several of these things seems to have made it stable with shadowrom enabled. Previously it would not run for long without a freeze when shadowrom was enabled.

This is still using the Sandisk Ultra 8GB CF card that came with the Furia. Still waiting for SD to IDE and SD card that I ordered. But so far my above setup seems really stable.

I also watched a youtube review of the Furia and that guy was using an SD card with an adapter. Even he experienced that he had to leave a few megabytes un-partitioned to get it stable, and this was with an SD card.

Edit:
LOL. Got one PFS III error today while trying to run a WHDload game and also got one crash with memory error. At least it's not the regular freezes. Just have to wait and see how the SD card will do. Also, would still like to find some fitting grounding screws.

UPDATE: So as it turns out I had a Sandisk ULTRA 4GB CF card that came with a PCMCIA kit I bought a few years ago. I tried this with the Furia and it's been rock solid for hours now. The 8GB Sandisk Ultra that came with the Furia works for PCMCIA so that's just perfect. I checked my order history from last year and I had actually selected a 4GB Sandisk Ultra to come with my Furia. Instead they sent me an 8GB sandisk Ultra that looks to be only partial compatible with the Furia.

Last edited by turrican9; 28 May 2018 at 02:15.
Old 07 June 2018, 23:02   #24
turrican9

SD card and SD to IDE adapter has arrived. Everything looks rock solid thus far. No crashes. I even get a bit faster IDE performance with the SD card VS CF card.

Only thing is that the HD light on A600 stays on all the time. But I have found a solution for that and ordered myself an Angle IDE 44 PIN Adapter for IDE SD Adapters for Amiga 600 1200 LED Working. This should fix the issue

I have to say the the Furia is a really capable accelerator. Especially when shadowrom is enabled. It's really fast for a 020.

As many other people have said, I think the best way to go with the Furia is an SD to IDE adapter. It just works.
Old 08 June 2018, 02:06   #25
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
SD card and SD to IDE adapter has arrived. Everything looks rock solid thus far. No crashes. I even get a bit faster IDE performance with the SD card VS CF card.

Only thing is that the HD light on A600 stays on all the time. But I have found a solution for that and ordered myself an Angle IDE 44 PIN Adapter for IDE SD Adapters for Amiga 600 1200 LED Working. This should fix the issue

I have to say the the Furia is a really capable accelerator. Especially when shadowrom is enabled. It's really fast for a 020.

As many other people have said, I think the best way to go with the Furia is an SD to IDE adapter. It just works.

Congratulations on stabilizing your system.

Your observations are right in line with mine. Properly grounding the board and using an SD to IDE adapter cleared up the stability issues I was seeing too. Before this, I'd get the random hard lock or red screen (I use the maprom feature.) Sometimes immediately, other times after hours of use.
Old 28 September 2018, 10:59   #26
Mark sealey

Awesome thread....so....how are you getting on with the Furia ?

Did you partition the sd card -20 meg too ?
Old 28 September 2018, 15:52   #27
EzdineG

Extended testing brought to light that my system never became completely stable. It could go for hours with no issue, but it eventually does guru.

I believe that some of us have a quality control problem with our boards, be it fake CPUs or dodgy RAM.

With regard to partitioning, I had the most stable results using PFS3 and the standard HDToolbox on an 8GB SD card. No CF I tried was ever stable enough for extended use.
Old 28 September 2018, 15:58   #28
Mark sealey

Ive got a 32gb SanDisk in my adapter.....looks like I need to ground the Furia and knock off 20meg off the last partition.

You using Furia tune GUI ?
Old 28 September 2018, 16:12   #29
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
Ive got a 32gb SanDisk in my adapter.....looks like I need to ground the Furia and knock off 20meg off the last partition.

You using Furia tune GUI ?

No. I used the cli command. Never did -20 to the partition, either.

Grounding certainly did help.
Old 28 September 2018, 16:53   #30
Mark sealey

Ok...I'll try grounding the Furia...from the corner standoff to the front screw.....I'll knock 20 meg off to see if it works better.....I did hear that it might be the a604n chip RAM might cause issues......you been recaped too ?
Old 29 September 2018, 04:41   #31
EzdineG

Yes. Recapped and tested with / without the a604n, same thing.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 10 October 2018, 19:32   #32
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by springycz View Post
You need a motherboard with Gayle rev. 1 (the one Superman has) in order to use the IDE boost.
I have an A600 rev 1.3 (Gayle rev. 2) and IDE boost seems to work just fine. Or at least it doesn't make the system unstable or anything, I have not measured if there's any actual speed boost though.