English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 19 March 2024, 10:24   #421
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
I think if the RPis 3D functionality can be exposed, PiStorm will eat it for breakfast.
Yes, but even if somebody does all that work to tap into the VideoCore's functionality, 80% of Amiga community will keep screaming how it's "not Amiga".
So, there's a very strong motivation to put in that effort
Old 19 March 2024, 13:55   #422
Cowcat

@Karlos

That video was inspirational, even the fact of the performance and hw issues. A bummer no permedia or new warp3d libs/code was shared at the time.

Quote:
Note the long load times were due to plain old motherboard IDE there
Well, Q3 sources nowadays have big improvements from different ports (now is a different "era") but Hedeon's warpos SDK has an implementation of the read/copy commands that compared to other SDK's as MOS is basically twice faster. For example my Jedi Outcast warpos port loads faster that my same Jedi Outcast MOS compiled port in the same hardware and same game parameters.

Quote:
Quake 3 draws almost everything with a single GL call (indexed array of triangles)
Fact is, in my version, going to the looped DrawElements GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP is faster than the solely DrawElements GL_TRIANGLES function but ...
...on other games as OpenArena, RTCW or Jedi, GL_TRIANGLES Elements is faster, however there's something in that option that tends to lead to a crash and never figured out if the problem is on minigl or the Q3 engines sources.

Quote:
....80% of Amiga community will keep screaming how it's "not Amiga"
I say "You wanna accelerated 3D performance or not?"
Old 19 March 2024, 18:26   #423
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
@Karlos

That video was inspirational, even the fact of the performance and hw issues. A bummer no permedia or new warp3d libs/code was shared at the time.
The driver was released with 4.1 Classic AFAIR. One of the new features I added was application profiles to allow bug-for-bug compatibility with some older software that expected things to be broken and have to work around, while newer programs could work with the driver behaving correctly. I added similar features to the R100 and R200 drivers, along with support for anisotropic filtering and what not.

Documentation for the various stuff is still online https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UserDoc:Warp3D