English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 May 2016, 10:44   #21
jarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Okay. The way composite video works is that the main signal just relays the brightness information ("greyscale" or "luma") and the colour information is a very low bandwidth signal added on top of it. That's why sharp transitions between colours are always going to be blurry, but grayscale is (comparatively) sharp.

I made some comprison screenshots a while back. Those are all from an actual Amiga, not emulation or any kind of simulated picture.

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with your machine, composite just is what it is. If at all possible, use RGB
Wow, thanks for screenshot, outstanding (and superb choice for a game ! I would've said that it's "just composite" unless I would not have seen personally that for a while image over composite was crisp for a while.

But you are right, I am going to to use RGB anyways. I just got DB23 connector and I'm waiting for VGA-RJ45 adapter and female RJ45 connector. I was planning to run VGA over CAT6, not sure if the cable is optimal for that but surely it should work. There's not enough twisted pairs for every signal and corresponding ground so I need to run VSYNC and HSYNC on one twisted pair and use ground from some color component for sync ground (thats the way VGA-RJ45 adapter is wired anyways)...

Edit: Actually there are enough twisted pairs if I would use composite sync? AFAIK Amiga outputs composite sync and if my video projector supports then that's enough? 4 twisted pairs, one for R, G, B and one for CSYNC?