English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 June 2012, 17:26   #1
Turran

Disabling / hiding partitions

Heya.

For diagnostics purposes, I wanted to create a HD with 5-6 variations of ClassicWB. No problem doing that. Just set up 6 partitions (dh0-dh6) and a slightly larger DH7 for "Work:"-

I select which one to boot from in the early boot. Problem is that I would like to hide the other partitions. Is there some software or similar to hide DH1-DH6 when booting from DH0 for example?

I can disable them in early boot and that works just fine, but its a pain to do that on each reboot.
Old 26 June 2012, 17:51   #2
ws1968

I use the program changebootpri for that.

You can write a script which changes the bootpriority of the parttions and you can set automount.

Winston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Heya.

For diagnostics purposes, I wanted to create a HD with 5-6 variations of ClassicWB. No problem doing that. Just set up 6 partitions (dh0-dh6) and a slightly larger DH7 for "Work:"-

I select which one to boot from in the early boot. Problem is that I would like to hide the other partitions. Is there some software or similar to hide DH1-DH6 when booting from DH0 for example?

I can disable them in early boot and that works just fine, but its a pain to do that on each reboot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip changebootpri.zip (6.8 KB, 409 views)
Old 26 June 2012, 17:54   #3
Turran

As long as I can hide the partitions, this should do nicely. Thanks a bunch
Old 26 June 2012, 18:11   #4
zipper

I prevented a bunch of partitions from mounting in HDToolbox and then used SCSIMounter if needed to mount them. But there are several other mounter tools in Aminet.
Old 26 June 2012, 19:06   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You can also use a mountlist to mount hidden partitions on boot up.
Old 27 June 2012, 13:33   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
indeed when you create the partion select not to mount it then you can mount the partions at will later

hasn`t wb3.9 got something in prefs for hiding drives
Old 27 June 2012, 13:40   #7
daxb

AS ws1968 wrote ChangeBootPri is all what you need. No need to handle with HDToolBox, Mountlists and ... unless you like it complicated.
Old 27 June 2012, 13:52   #8
Turran

EDIT: Ah, see the NOMOUNT command now. I'll work something out with this =) Thanks!

Hmm, seems that all that does is change the boot priority. I can still see the other partitions which is what I want to avoid.. They all have 5-6 icons on the workbench and if I "see" all the partitions, I have like 50 icons on the workbench =)

No problem selecting which disk to boot on in the pre boot screen, its the disabling of DH1-DH5 if I want to boot from DH0 that is the annoying part.

If I select not to mount a partition in HDToolBox, can I still boot on that device? Say, DH2 not automounting, but I can still boot from it and manually mount it?

Guess I need some sort of partition always visible that handles the other partitions and uses changebootpri.. wish it was just a simple command.. umount DH1: or something and it would just vanish =)

Last edited by Turran; 27 June 2012 at 13:59.
Old 27 June 2012, 14:36   #9
thomas

The program changes flags in the RDB, it does not affect the running system. You need to reboot to make changes active.

So in order to choose to boot from DH0 do this:

changebootpri dh0: 1 mount
changebootpri dh1: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh2: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh3: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh4: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh5: 0 nomount

Then reboot.

In order to choose to boot from DH1 do this:

changebootpri dh0: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh1: 1 mount
changebootpri dh2: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh3: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh4: 0 nomount
changebootpri dh5: 0 nomount

and reboot.

And so on.

You cannot use Early-Startup to select boot device AND hide the other drives, unless you deactivate the other drives manually in the menu.
Old 27 June 2012, 15:00   #10
Turran

Thomas: excellent, thank you. I have a WORK: Partition on DH6 that I want visible for all workbench versions, so I'll make 6 different scripts which I put on that and can switch between them easiely.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Turran; 27 June 2012 at 15:05.
Old 06 July 2012, 21:01   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Very bad .

I've got two partitions to boot from. In the first I've changed the s-s like this:
C:changebootpri >NIL: DH0: 1 mount
C:changebootpri >NIL: DH4: 0 nomount

Ok, after booting I had nothing of DH4, but ... it has disapperared.
After a cold boot I still don't have DH4 to boot from, if I make changebootpri DH4: 1 mount it says there's no DH4.

If I use HDtools it shows DH4, but the bootable option is disabled.

EDIT: RELOL !!!
As I coudn't make anything with DH4 I've deleted it with HDInstTools, later I've created it again, quickformated with ffs first, later changed the fs to PFS3 like before, later changed to be bootable, and changed the name to DH3, as I had mistaked it. Well, you have to be completely sure like I was that I've lost all the info there of course...

Nope. I have the same inside that partition than before. CWBLite 1.3 theme as if I woudn't have made anything... jejejeje.

Well, apart of this, is there anything I did wrong before to select the partition to boot from?

Last edited by Retrofan; 06 July 2012 at 23:23.
Old 07 July 2012, 09:13   #12
thomas

Oh what a clear act of overreaction. The program changed only one bit in the partition table from automount=yes to automount=no. And you reaction was to format the entire partition potentially destroying megabytes of data. The only thing you needed to do was to activate the checkbox behind "automount this partition" in HDToolbox. Don't know how it's called in HDInstTools, but it's surely something similar.

Depending on how much data was on the partition, quick-formatting it with FFS probably has overwritten the contents of some files. You won't notice until you read and examine these files.

Back to the original problem, yes, there is an error in reasoning. The program can only find mounted partitions in order to change their flags. Once the automount flag for a partition is set off, the program cannot find it again to change it back.
Old 07 July 2012, 09:23   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, anyway I've quickformatted and copied again that partition now.

So, for what you say, with changebootpri everytime I would use it to hide the other partition, later to use it I should use HDInstTools to show it again.... Really a useless program then, as it's easier to able/disable partitions just from the early startup menu than searching and using HdTools or another.

Ok, if you are going to use a partition for some days and later the other perhaps you will find some use for it, but I like to be able to change easily between them.

Edit: I haven't found but Unmount, with source (http://aminet.net/search?query=unmount), but it doesn't work with SFS and surely won't with PFS3.

In my case, and to be clear, what I would need would be an option booting to select between them, for example with a click of the mouse and that it unmounts the other partition to hide its icons.

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 July 2012 at 10:17.
Old 07 July 2012, 10:14   #14
thomas

You can run it like this:

changebootpri DH4: mount device scsi.device unit 0

Change scsi.device and 0 to the device and unit for your harddrive.
Old 07 July 2012, 10:28   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You can run it like this:

changebootpri DH4: mount device scsi.device unit 0

Change scsi.device and 0 to the device and unit for your harddrive.
What will this make?
Will I have to mount the other partition with HDTools later or can I use a similar instruction in the other partition and it only disables a partition while it's running?

If it were like this it would be perfect, as to boot from DH0 I don't have to make anything and the icons of the second would be hidden, so I only would have to use the early startup when I would like to use the second partition, and the icons of the first woudn't be shown (a click less, lol).

Edit: Your instruction is just to use it from cli and have mounted DH4 again instead of using HDTools, isn't it?

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 July 2012 at 11:59.
Old 07 July 2012, 16:07   #16
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

With a program called CheckKey and a mountlist you can mount partitions from startup quite easily. You can use giggledisk to make the mountlists. You can even have the partition mount as DH0: if you prefer.
Old 08 July 2012, 00:54   #17
Ami_GFX

I use this program for my Amigas:

http://aminet.net/disk/misc/Dismount.lha

Very simple to use, you just copy it into your C directory and then you can dismount the partitions you don't want to see from the shell or in your startup-sequence. I have several bootable partitions in both my Amigas with different graphics/OS combinations and I don't want to see the other boot partitions when I'm working in one.

In OS3.5 and 3.9 you can set the partitions you want to see in the Workbench preferences program. There is a column on the right where you can check "hidden devices"
Old 08 July 2012, 19:36   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
I use this program for my Amigas:

http://aminet.net/disk/misc/Dismount.lha

Very simple to use, you just copy it into your C directory and then you can dismount the partitions you don't want to see from the shell or in your startup-sequence. I have several bootable partitions in both my Amigas with different graphics/OS combinations and I don't want to see the other boot partitions when I'm working in one.

In OS3.5 and 3.9 you can set the partitions you want to see in the Workbench preferences program. There is a column on the right where you can check "hidden devices"

Thanks both.

For the second partition, really I don't need any instruction, as I have to use anyway the early startup to select it, so I can disable the other.

Yes, Ami_GFX, it's just to make C:dismount DH3: from the Shell and the icons of that partition have disappeared. GREAT.

Edit: So really great the dismount program. Thanks Ami_GFX. Now I just boot without any other icon but the ones of my DH0 (I've put it in the s-s). If I want to use the second I use the early menu. PERFECT!!

Reedit: It only would be absolutly perfect if I could, using that command, select to boot the second partition (DH3) just pressing a button of the mouse.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 July 2012 at 20:39.
Old 15 July 2012, 19:56   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got a great doubt about a very bizarre behaviour. Ok, I've got both Workbenchs working, but I've got a doubt about the icons. It's really rare with the DH2 partition ("Multimedia"): I've got an icon of it using the first bootable partition (DH0, "System"), and another completely different booting (using) the other partition (DH3, "Work"). That's perfect, as it's perfect for both "OS's", that use different amount of colors. The thing is that I would like to know how this happens and to repeat this for DH1 ("Apps"), as I've got the same one for it booting from both partitions. I've tried to copy the disk.info with dopus, or the icon with different programs without the same result.

Yes, it seems impossible, but if you like I will make a video to show you.

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 July 2012 at 20:57.
Old 15 July 2012, 21:05   #20
thomas

Video is not needed. Make a hardcopy of the Multimedia icon when booted from System and another hardcopy when booted from Work. Also attach the disk.info file of Multimedia. And describe which operating systems are on System and Work, especially the version of icon.library and newicon.library.