English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 27 October 2009, 11:14   #1
Malakie

WinUAE 1.6.1 and Gamebase Amiga 1.6

Hi all,

I use the Gamebase system along with WinUAE. I just updated both and now its messed up....

Basically if you know Gamebase you know that you click on a title and it opens WinUAE, automatically loading the selected disk and title. This means somehow GameBase tells WinUAE which disk (.adf or zip) files to use to automatically load up the game.

Now, it no longer does that. It loads WinUAE fine but never fills in the required floppy disk information so that WinUAE knows what to actually load.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this including a complete and total uninstall and reinstall of everything but to no avail..

How or where do things get set for Gamebase to tell WinUAE which actual disk to load when a title is selected?

Old 27 October 2009, 11:20   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Malakie and welcome to EAB!

Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=535027#post535027
You can also tick the 'Use 8.3 filenames' option
Old 27 October 2009, 13:17   #3
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Hi Malakie and welcome to EAB!

Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=535027#post535027
You can also tick the 'Use 8.3 filenames' option

All that time for a space... I looked and looked at the scripts but missed that as well.

Thanks for the info... All fixed now but what a nightmare trying to find it.

Still need to find info on exactly how to set things up so it uses WHDLoad and other files as well... Any info on that you might know off the top?

Malakie

Old 27 October 2009, 13:33   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Any info on that you might know off the top?
Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=329670#post329670
You can use the preinstalled versions from http://www.whdownload.com/ or the packs from http://kgwhd.elowar.com/
Old 27 October 2009, 22:42   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Umm.
We should really get this script fix into the distribution in order not to trick more people into believing their installation could be somewhat faulty
How could this be done at best?
Old 27 October 2009, 22:45   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, eLowar has to fix it I guess. Wait a sec...

Edit : eLowar will have a look at it and hopefully there will be a new installer during the next days.

Last edited by TCD; 27 October 2009 at 22:55.
Old 28 October 2009, 00:14   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I guess there's no need for a Gamebase fix. Toni fixed this command line parsing problem in WinUAE 2.0.0 Beta 2. I'm sure the final version follows in a few days/weeks.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 October 2009 at 02:03.
Old 28 October 2009, 04:54   #8
Malakie

Quote:
Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=329670#post329670
You can use the preinstalled versions from http://www.whdownload.com/ or the packs from http://kgwhd.elowar.com/

Nice thanks for the help again.. Perhaps someday someone can put together a nice 'newbie' manual that walks people through step by step how to set up WinUAE, Gamebase, WHDLoad, SPS, and all the other myriad of options out there.... i.e. where things go, what the directories should be and what they should look like and so forth...

Although I use my Amiga's still for many things, I am trying to setup an old laptop to use as an Amiga emulated laptop and would like to get anything and everything I can installed on it so all I have to do is update once in a while and so I can simply click and run. One thing I seem to have not yet figured out is what offers to most comprehensive and best set up for my situation... Some collections seem to have disks that others don't and so forth.... but I am stubborn.. I want them allllll!!

I am a disabled vet so been spending a lot of my time at V.A. and want to have this with me there in the future to keep me occupied. Right now I have one partition setup for all my wargame strategy sims I like (pc versions) and another partition solely for the Amiga and C64 emulation and files.

IF I knew this emulation stuff well enough I would have no problem doing it myself.. but first I have to learn all of this and what is what...

Again thanks for the help.... I am sure I will need more.

Malakie

Old 28 October 2009, 09:16   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Although I use my Amiga's still for many things, I am trying to setup an old laptop to use as an Amiga emulated laptop and would like to get anything and everything I can installed on it so all I have to do is update once in a while and so I can simply click and run. One thing I seem to have not yet figured out is what offers to most comprehensive and best set up for my situation... Some collections seem to have disks that others don't and so forth.... but I am stubborn.. I want them allllll!!
Well, a good start would be to grab the TOSEC full sets on pleasuredome.org.uk for example (this is for disks). Surely there are some disks that aren't in TOSEC (yet), but there shouldn't be many With the KG packs you have (almost) all WHDLoad games and we can help you with SPS games here. You should start with GB Amiga and once you played/had a look at them all then we can talk about how to make games work just with WinUAE

@Retro
Ah, didn't noticed that. Well guess it wouldn't hurt to have it 'fixed' in the installer aswell if it isn't too much work for eLowar
Old 28 October 2009, 11:19   #10
Malakie

Quote:
Well, a good start would be to grab the TOSEC full sets on pleasuredome.org.uk for example (this is for disks). Surely there are some disks that aren't in TOSEC (yet), but there shouldn't be many With the KG packs you have (almost) all WHDLoad games and we can help you with SPS games here. You should start with GB Amiga and once you played/had a look at them all then we can talk about how to make games work just with WinUAE

@Retro
Ah, didn't noticed that. Well guess it wouldn't hurt to have it 'fixed' in the installer aswell if it isn't too much work for eLowar

Aye thanks again...

Two other things.... first whomever runs this forum should add a specific area for Gamebase and these kind of discussions me thinks... After all, I am sure there are a lot of people using tools like that for organization purposes.

Second, I am stuck on something... first what is the best documentation for learning how to script game base to function with WinUAE? For that matter to learn how to script WinUAE as well, i.e. commands, variables etc etc..

I am trying to figure out how to make ALL my gamebase entries set the WinUAE default 'floppy drive emulation speed' to maximum for all entries. I manually do it for all games with few exceptions. Makes things load much faster... But I cannot figure out how to even set that parameter let alone set it as a default for WinUAE.

Any help on this one?

Malakie

Old 28 October 2009, 11:37   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Two other things.... first whomever runs this forum should add a specific area for Gamebase and these kind of discussions me thinks... After all, I am sure there are a lot of people using tools like that for organization purposes.
There is : http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76
Just the name isn't correct, since it should be changed, but apprently never did. However that is the correct subforum for GameBase Amiga related things.

Quote:
Second, I am stuck on something... first what is the best documentation for learning how to script game base to function with WinUAE? For that matter to learn how to script WinUAE as well, i.e. commands, variables etc etc..

I am trying to figure out how to make ALL my gamebase entries set the WinUAE default 'floppy drive emulation speed' to maximum for all entries. I manually do it for all games with few exceptions. Makes things load much faster... But I cannot figure out how to even set that parameter let alone set it as a default for WinUAE.
You don't need to change the script for that. Just load the two configs (GameBase Amiga.uae and WHDLoad.uae) from the GameBase Amiga folder in WinUAE. Change the setting and save it back (use 'load from' and 'save as' for that).
Old 28 October 2009, 11:41   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I guess there's no need for a Gamebase fix. Toni fixed this command line parsing problem in WinUAE 2.0.0 Beta 2. I'm sure the final version follows in a few days/weeks.
Uh. Bad argument.
We should not lock out people who decide to use an older emulator version (let alone stable 1.6.1) (since some of them ARE definitely faster, albeit not as accurate as the current betas; but accuracy does not always matter, depending on what you run on the emulator)

A Gamebase-internal fix will let them use their slightly older versions without having to muck about with the scripts.
Old 28 October 2009, 11:45   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Why to fix it YET when a new version is out very soon. And ticking the "Use 8.3 filenames' option" in Gamebase isn't too complicated for a workaround till then.
Old 28 October 2009, 11:49   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, it's only adding 4 spaces in 6 text files, so not a big deal either. Anyway, if eLowar changes it that wouldn't hurt, but if it stays the way it is we just get some more questions so not really something to argue about.
Old 28 October 2009, 12:13   #15
Malakie

Quote:
There is : http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76
Just the name isn't correct, since it should be changed, but apprently never did. However that is the correct subforum for GameBase Amiga related things.

You don't need to change the script for that. Just load the two configs (GameBase Amiga.uae and WHDLoad.uae) from the GameBase Amiga folder in WinUAE. Change the setting and save it back (use 'load from' and 'save as' for that).
Thanks.. much easier than I was thinking... in fact did not even realize there was a .uae file until you mentioned.

Malakie